Insulin reaction times

Good evening all, I have a question (say it isn’t so), anyway I am on NovoLog on my Omnipod5 and yes I know the action time and how long the tail is, and yes I understand that larger doses can take longer for your system to absorb the insulin there by stretching out the peak and the tail. My question concerns micro douses like the basals on O5, I have been using manual mode for hardheaded highs, at least to me, normally in combination with corrective boluses, tonite I just used a high basal rate (3.0 units per hour) with no correction bolus for 2 hours, when done and went back to auto, BG came down where I wanted, the IOB was 3.8 45 minutes after and my BG has barely dropped. When I look at the charts from NovoLog it shows the rise and tail in time at bottom but I don’t remember if it states amount of insulin it is based on, just seems to me that small amounts leave your system faster, and I guess micro blousing could be concerted stacking. I would like to bump it down using correction boluses like I always do where I want it to be, but don’t want to stay up watching. I hope it was possible to ascertain my question. Thanks

1 Like

There are a lot of variables with insulin duration and action times. As you mentioned, the amount of the bolus. But also pump/pod site location, age of the pump/pod infusion, physical activity, temperature, and possibly others I am not thinking of.

1 Like

Amen, aint that the truth, I ended up doing two correction boluses, it stayed a little high for me but still well within range.i like to be in 80-90 range, it kept me nearer to the target range of 110.

3 Likes