Insulin pumps: J&J Animas drops out

I memorized the button sequences on the omnipod PDM. I think it is doable.

2 Likes

The display of the t:slim is quite similar to a Smart Phone in terms of brightness, contrast and color. (Generally speaking). As compared to the Animas Ping which could at times be very difficult to read and that was before the Ping screen broke on us and went all dim.

1 Like

@Jen - There is a t:slim simulator that you can download onto your phone. I have never used the simulator so really have no idea how good it is (or isnā€™t).

The t:simulator App is compatible with the following devices:
Android 5.0 Lollipop or later
iPhone 5 or later
iPad 2 or later
iPod touch 5G or later

Obviously it is not the real thing but it would at least give you an idea of the interface and perhaps how it might (or might not) work for you.

https://www.tandemdiabetes.com/products/t-simulator-demo-app

1 Like

I used the Tandem simulator to check it out a while back. Of all the marketing brochures and info I got, this was the single best thing for helping a user see what it was like. Well done, Tandem.

1 Like

Tandem has what appears to be a really great offer for Animas pump users who may not appreciate being dumped on the doorstep of Medtronic.

Tandem Diabetes Touch Simplicity Today Pump Access Program Details

This offer is available for eligible Animas and Roche customers with pump warranties that expire on or before September 30, 2019. A one-time payment of $999 is due prior to the pump being shipped. Payment plans are not available. Offer available through March 31, 2018.

Upon purchase of a new Tandem pump at the end of the participantā€™s Animas or Roche warranty period and return of the Tandem pump used in the Program in good working condition, the $999 payment will be credited to support out-of-pocket or supply costs associated with their new Tandem pump.

Alternatively, if a participant decides not to conclude the Program by purchasing a new Tandem pump, they may return the Program pump and receive a pro-rated refund of the $999 payment based on the time the Program pump was in the their possession as set forth in the chart below.

2 Likes

ā€œThe customer can choose to return the pump in the first 60 days of the program for a full refund of their deposit, or during the first nine months for a pro-rated refund based on the length of time they were in possession of the pump.ā€

3 Likes

We do not use Omnipod so I was more focused on what Tandem had to say about the Animas situation.

Omnipod: Welcome AnimasĀ® and RocheĀ® Pump Customers

But I just saw this offer from Omnipod which seems REALLY good ? Wondering if there are drawbacks which I am missing?

Basically Omnipod will give a PDM and 10 Pods for free to an owner of an Animas or Roche pump with no restriction based on warranty period?

Excluded: Beneficiaries of Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, any Federal or State funded health insurance. Private plans which exclude this. Residents of MA, MI, MN and RI excluded.

This program available until:
December 31, 2017

(ie - only two months left if anybody wants to take advantage)

Seems an impressive offering. Am I missing anything?

1 Like

There are no catches or gotchas.

They will verify you are currently an Animas or Roche user.

There are a few state law and federal law exclusions, which is why the Medicare and Medicaid exclusions are listed, as well as those few states. It is for U.S. residents only.

You get one PDM (yours to keep, regardless of whether you stick with it or not) and 10 pods.

The PDM is cheap. They give it away in the hopes that you become a user. They make their money on the pods, so that is their angle.

2 Likes

@Eric is right. But still I find it a pretty good offer, a way to get your feet wet at no cost.

1 Like