Insulin for Ukraine?

I know this is sort of political, but does anyone know of any way to help get insulin to people in Ukraine? There are 15,000 children with type 1 diabetes in the country apparently. I found this charity but I don’t know how reputable they are.

6 Likes

They are the #1 charity recommended by the NYT:

Here’s a link to the story in the times:

5 Likes

Insulin for Life has started a special campaign for Ukraine.

https://www.insulinforlife.org/spare-a-rose/

5 Likes

I was able to donate insulin directly to a campaign in my community that is collecting medical supplies. A local woman who is from Ukraine is sending large deliveries of medical supplies to Ukraine, but has also arranged for backpacks to be delivered into Poland then to Ukraine. The first backpacks are going out tonight and my insulin will be included! Please PM me if you’d like more information. I just did a little digging and this operation is actually a lot bigger than I realized, even though it’s coming out of my somewhat small community – it is called Sunflower of Peace. (I am local to Boston) Jessica

5 Likes

What a nightmare it must be for diabetics in Ukraine to have to deal with the war and the additional fear of losing access to the medication their life depends on.

5 Likes

Hopefully most of the Type1’s fled ahead of the fighting, but even being in a refugee situation would be disconcerting knowing that your life is dependent on finding insulin.

3 Likes

Hello I would love more information. I have so many supplies that I can send!

3 Likes

Hi! So, the efforts for Sunflower of Peace exploded over the past week (they’ve now raised over $2 million for Ukraine) and the founder Katya has put direct drop-offs at her house on hold for now (they are still accepting items ordered from their amazon list, but have gotten warehouse space b/c people and organizations are having so much sent to them!). I will keep checking in with her to see if she’s able to handle insulin logistics again and will keep you posted. Thank you so much for reaching out!

5 Likes

Here’s an article that says the Red Cross is delivering insulin to Ukrainian cities. I expect they can keep it going and will be a good place to donate money. The problem is getting the insulin to the people who need it in those cities, no idea how any of us can help with that.

A desperate search for insulin in Kyiv as medicines disappear (stamfordadvocate.com)

The ICRC has sent nearly three tons of insulin to Odessa - enough for 6,500 people for six months - as well as enough insulin to Dnipro for 9,000 people for three months.

2 Likes

More on drug shortages:

2 Likes