Insulin amount in tubing

Does anyone know how much insulin is in the tubing between the set connector (the little clip?) and the insertion piece on the Medtronic Sure-T infusion sets? We had a pump malfunction (I think) and we want to know if there’s any way to know if that piece has insulin, and roughly how much it carries.
38%20AM

Can you test this by using new set ? First prime it to get the longer portion filled. Then do a new prime with the second piece connected to check how much when first drop appears. But not inserted on body.

Or maybe I misunderstood. Are you checking for amount that is in the “defective” set ?

well it’s already attached to him and we wanted to know if we need to do a new insertion (which he hates). But for the next time I think that’s a brilliant idea. You’d have to be pretty precise to make sure you stop the first prime before many drops had come out.

1 Like

Can you describe the pump malfunction ?

With high BG, I assume you think there was no delivery at some point?

so it wasn’t a pump malfunction it turns out, but human error. This last time my husband did a site change, then realized that there was not enough insulin in the reservoir to make it with 3 days if necessary. So he basically disconnected the pump from Samson’s body, put a new reservoir into the pump and then reprimed through the half of the tubing that clips into the connector, but he didn’t hit the final “yes” on the pump during that second rewind/prime process.

After several hours of inextricably rising without cease, Samson woke up and I checked his pump and noticed it was on that final menu you have to exit out of to get the pump delivering insulin, and i wasn’t sure why.

Anyways, I asked my husband and he just told me to re-prime out of the connector bit and then delivered some insulin. My husband was very certain that he had completed the priming process before and had seen drops at the end of the needle, but I was concerned that if that was not the case (everyone was half asleep), Samson would have been high and without insulin for several hours, and then we’d give him a bolus from the pump, and if perchance the second bit of tubing didn’t have insulin, he would still be higher.

Anyways, my thought is that since we use openAPS and can see how the reservoir volume changes over time, we could see how much he had actually primed the first time based on how much the volume decreased, to verify that the first bit of tubing really did have insulin. This would be great to know for future reference.

1 Like

Can you see the difference in the tube when it’s filled with air and when it’s filled with insulin? You may need a flashlight to shine light from different angles. It’s subtle and not easy to see, but for me, an empty tube has a “double-walled” appearance under the right lighting, whereas a filled tube looks single-walled. Try watching a new tube when you prime it so that you learn this skill and can just look to see if a tube has been primed or not.