Improving hospital care for PWDs

5 Likes

It is a start, but again appears to be mostly focused on the avoidance of hypo’s, which seems worthwhile on its surface but is what leads them to want patients to run high all the time. The good news from my read is the mention of more acceptance of outside tech, i.e. let the patient manage what they can.

6 Likes

I finally got around to having my endo write a letter requesting and ordering hospital medical staff to let me use my own equipment and supplies to manage my own BG whenever I say I can. (It lists insulin, glucometer, pump and supplies, CGM and supplies, phone and Loop software.) I now have this to bring with me (plus ample supplies) if I ever go to the hospital.

Medical staff doesn’t take orders from patients, but they may well accept an outside doctor’s request and order.

4 Likes

Yeah, I hate the idea of them mentioning reducing lows. Things like this in the article.

Glytec research shows that a single hypoglycemia episode of 40 mg/dL or lower can cost a hospital up to $10,000, encompassing everything from the additional patient time in the facility to the testing and staff time needed.

I don’t think running in the 200’s all day helps you heal!

3 Likes

If I am on my back in a hospital bed I am confident I can avoid those lows…if I am (a) conscious and (b) have access to my CGM and sugar or fast carbs in any form. But I am NOT confident I can avoid long lasting highs under those circumstances…because everything about my ratios, basal, etc. is fine tuned for being on my feet and moving. Maybe it would be wise to do an experiment and stay in bed for a few days and see what adjustments are needed to ratios and basal? Unfortunately I don’t have time or ambition to do something like that. And who knows how relevant it would be to an actual hospital stay, with all the other factors that can come into play.

4 Likes