Illness Strategies for Insulin Users

I am so sorry! I am on the road right now so unable to look up links and post easily :frowning:

Some considerations, many of which have already been listed:

• After you have had to bolus 3 or so times in a 4-6 hour period, do consider raising your basal. With a mild virus, we often raise basal 50-80%, sometimes more, with a pump. On MDI, we were more careful, but often raised it 25-35%. Be ready to fight lows as you go back down though.

• stay super well hydrated. It is all the more important since you will lose your CGM otherwise

• if you start throwing up, the primary danger is going low, since you might not be able to keep sugars down. If so, the technique is:

• every 5 minutes, takes a spoonful of sugard water

• use (sugar-free) rehydrating liquids or powder to make it less likely to throw up again (pure water may make you throw up because of electrolyte balance)

• remember to test for ketones frequently when you get above 250 or 300. When you get in ketone territory, you will likely need to up your correction factor. It is important to get out of ketone territory quickly.

You might be interested in this thread: BG management when sick: what I know now that I didn't know a year ago

Good luck!

3 Likes