I’m cured (what the heck?)!

Have you tried metformin? Would you? I don’t know if that’s safe for nursing moms, but if it is, might take the edge off of your blood sugars enough to avoid insulin for now, and it has a bunch of other likely health benefits. Metformin ER has had no noticeable side effects for me except weight loss/appetite reduction, although I know other people have digestive side effects (but usually not as bad with the ER formulation.

1 Like

If your fasting numbers are good without medication ^ even this is debatable.

Higher sensitivity to carbs in the morning is normal for everyone, and non-D people do spike more after breakfast. Relatively brief excursions to 150-160 after 70g of carbs would not be considered abnormal either. Based on the numbers you’ve posted it would be difficult to tell you had any type of diabetes.

Sounds like a good strategy, but that’s what you’d want to discuss with your doctor.

It was nice while it lasted (this is just 30 mins after Afrezza, dosed at 156). :tired_face:

I haven’t, but I had hoped I wouldn’t have to at any point. Between the muscle issues and a lot of gut issues, I don’t think it would be very kind to my body. I hadn’t heard there was a difference with the ER, though.

It that’s a valid reading 30m after dosing afrezza then yeah you’ve got the beetus. When you get an out of pattern number always wash hands and retest

Yeah, it was an underdosing issue, I think. I went with a 4 when normally I would do an 8 as I thought I wouldn’t need as much. Oops. An 8 followed up by a 4, and I was back to 85 in about an hour and a half from the 226…with a killer headache.

I don’t follow… one night you eat 70g of carbs with no insulin and have perfect blood sugars. The next night same, night 3 you eat something and fly up that high even after dosing insulin? Any chance there was food residue on your fingers? Or else how the heck aren’t your blood sugars higher when you dose insulin than when you don’t?

Ha! It makes no sense to me, either, but supposedly this is how the honeymoon period with LADA can be. No food residue; I’ve often just washed hands when I test. And I tested 15 mins after the first correction (8 Afrezza) and was down to 188, so pretty sure I really was that high. Dinner today was at an odd time (fellowship meal at church @3:30), and I ate more carbs than the other night…spiky carbs - a friend brought dirty rice, for one thing. Rice anyone else makes always gets me.

Oh, and I did go from 88 to 156 in the 30 minutes between starting my meal and when I dosed the Afrezza, so…I spike with or without insulin.

One thing this makes me wonder about is that debate about whether or not early insulin therapy preserves beta cell function. One of the members of the FB group I’m part of says she will go through periods of needing less insulin when she’s had very tight control. I’ve had probably the tightest control of late than I have had before, which seems to lend itself to explain why my pancreas seemed to be recovering function a little, then lost it when I stopped taking insulin, because then it was under the full strain of handling all the insulin production. Obviously one weekend isn’t enough to definitively state this is the case, or the reason behind the weirdness this weekend, but it’s given me something to think about.

The one lesson you can learn clear as day from these kinds of experiments, even if a lot of other things remain quite fuzzy— is what type of carb loads your body just doesn’t deal well with— those types of loads are likely wise to avoid

1 Like

Haha, yeah, I learned (again) church potlucks are bad news, even though I can only safely eat one other person’s food besides my own. :laughing:

Had a “fun” day getting back to normal dosing…

@Pianoplayer7008, there are many long term T1D’s who have been found to still produce some of their own insulin. The Joslin Medalist Study made that information public several years ago. One lady in the study has to completely stop using insulin for several days, and then start again when her BG begins to rise. An on again, off again type of management. That must be very difficult! The recently diagnosed individuals with a honeymoon period are not the only T1D’s who have some insulin production

1 Like

That’s amazing! I assumed long term T1D’s had completely lost the ability to produce their own insulin. Wow.

No, more recent research has shown that this is almost never the case to be true absolute zero… tremendously diminished, yes. Dr Bernstein, a very famous diabetes doctor and author claims in his decades as an endocrinologist he’s only seen two type 1s who truly didn’t produce any insulin at all, and one was himself

1 Like

Definitely a difference with the ER in terms of GI effects—absolutely the way to go. Some people do still have them though. That said, I have muscle, joint, and some gut issues (all secondary to connective tissue disorder), and while I usually am sensitive to side effects of meds, I tolerate metformin super well (started with 500mg 1x a day, moved up gradually to 1000mg 2x a day), so it’s hard to predict and may work for you!

1 Like