I climbed Mt Whitney this summer!

You guys are being supernice!

I am sorry that it’s taking so long for me to answer. I am a high school junior with a ton of STEM classes and I spend 3-4 hours in cross country practice every day 6 days a week so I don’t have a lot of free time.

Below I’ll try to answer all the questions, over a few posts, starting with the D ones!

Power

@Trying, I was really glad to have brought this format also! I normally carry an Anker Mini 3350mAh, which is very compact, in my glucose bag. But, for a long trip like this, it would have made no sense to carry small power banks. It’s super interesting that your small ones failed :frowning:

The largest that I think makes sense to carry is the 26,800 mAh because that’s the largest you can carry in an airplane: larger they confiscate at security. the 20,000mAh units I carried (with PD) are 13.0 oz, but the same 26,800 with PD is 20.3 oz, so it’s not worth it by weight (the one w/o PD is 17.3 oz, better but no PD, not that it matters for D). Also, because I want to be able to have multiple units for redundancy, I like to 20,000 mAh format better than the 26,800 mAh.

Still, it was shocking to see how little power I used with my iPhone SE. Over 12 days, I used less than 10,000mAh of spare energy.

Definitely! I stored all my battery devices in my sleeping bag at night, and it must have really helped, since the only time I did not I lost 1/3 of the power I had left in one night :slight_smile:

I think that helped a lot. My power settings for the trip were:

• airplane mode
  • Bluetooth enabled (for looping)
  • do not disturb (no notifications except D apps, have to set by hand which can come through)
  • Low Power mode on

The D gear I took with me @Trying, @Eric

• 2 iPhone SEs fully set up for Loop, and both paired and tested on my transmitter (thanks to my mom for compiling the app!) [I never used the spare]
  • one spare Dexcom transmitter [did not use it]
  • one regular Orange Link, battery powered (for looping), plus another full spare, each in a carry case
  • one spare Omnipod PDM with included glucose meter, and 150 strips. [hardly used the strips]
  • 5 Dexcom sensors (plus starting on a brand new one) [I used 3 of the 5]
  • 12 pods (plus starting on a brand new one) [I used one every 3 days, but some other campers used a lot more]
  • a limited number of alcohol wipes, a few Dexcom and pod overpatches, some skintac wipes [I did not use the skintac on the trail]
  • Accu-check lancing device and a couple of spare wheels [I used my original wheel for the whole 12 days, absolutely love the Accu-check!]
  • I normally carry a bunch of spare insulin [FIASP] cartridges in a thermos bottle with plastic water-filled “ice cubes” in it to regulate temperature, wrapped in an insulated thermos bag, and 2 insulin pens, along with a frio bag. This time, the insulin (in vials, not cartridges) and needles (I did take a pen along but I ended up leaving it in base camp and relying on needles like everyone else) were communal across all the campers, and we kept them in frio bags. FYI, when I am on my own, I like cartridges better because, first, they go straight in my pens, but also they are protected by their aluminum and plastic wrap and they pretty much never break.
  • 5x Anker 20,000 mAh power banks. I only used one. Now I would only take 3, for 10-20 days (because the 2nd spare could fail). But that is because I loop: I can’t not have power for my phone

Note on FIASP vs Novolog
I normally use FIASP. But we ran out of it during the trip, and, although I know it’s not recommended, I ended up mixing FIASP and Novolog for my last 2 pods (it was a mistake every time). I had no problem at all.

How well my Dexcom worked

Mine also did fine, i.e. I got good readings, but it failed a lot (Had to use 3 spares in 12 days even though I left with a brand new one). I used it on my belly—maybe I should have tried the thigh as you @CarolynA.

Me too: I had close to 150 strips with me (I think some expired ones in the total…)

For the daily insulin use, I also went to 1/2! But I could not really forget I was a T1D because I went up and down: I had to watch it a lot, even with loop, although I was not too worried about night because of loop. I have a problem with night because I don’t wake up to alarms, so that’s always a little dicey for me.

My daily insulin use

I do. I went on Nightscout to collect all the data and show it here. Here goes:

As you can see, my average daily use went from about 59U to 27U for the first week (I was at 25% basal, the rest was food and corrections), but then it went back up to 59U after about a week (I had to go to 125% basal). The last day was a bus travel day and my BG was horrible.

More replies on hiking and other stuff in my next post :slight_smile:

6 Likes