How to calibrate a Dexcom G4/G5 CGM

Yes, I’ve done this many many times. In fact, most recently, I’ve been forced to enter the reading a second time if the reading was far off from it’s previous setting. For instance, the CGM read 68 but he was really 130, I enter it once, then a few seconds later the CGM/Phone will vibrate, ring and a question mark will be present and it will be asking me to enter a BG…I enter the same reading again and it resets to the new number. But I’ve also done your method where I’ve hit it twice to make it go to my direct # and not in the middle.

2 Likes

Ditto!!

1 Like

My last sensor I tried it differently, and waited between the two initial calibrations. Usually I follow the by-the-book Dexcom procedure and do them back-to-back.

I didn’t really notice an improvement, but it didn’t make it any worse. So just from my very limited test of it, no amazing difference.

1 Like

Hello. Thank you all for your help. I was diagnosed recently as a T1D. I would like to know more about how to handle getting readings “on the go” when you cannot get a sink to wash your hands. I have been using alcohol wipes in these moments and I would agree that my readings are fluctuating. What are my options? Thank you for this insight.

2 Likes

@Johnstow, I am sorry about your diagnosis :frowning: Welcome to the forum. You may want to introduce yourself in the welcome thread, so that everyone gets to know you! Here it is: Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Clean up on the go: what we do is that can carry wet wipes around with us, it works quite well! We hydrate the wet wipes more by adding some water into the container. Sometimes you need to use a couple. You only need to use them if you have sugar on your hands – the rest of the time, no need. Our experience is that a little grime does not really matter :slight_smile:

We typically choose a form factor for the wet wipes where they are folded into a smallish plastic box, rather than being stored in a cylindrical canister.

We keep some in our glove boxes at all times, as well as in our backpacks when we travel.

I’m so glad you posted this! I am addicted and at a total loss when I don’t have it on! I have forgotten how I managed without it. Could you please give some advice or techniques of taking a 2-3 day break? Thank you!!

1 Like