How much should basals on the pump account for?

@type1_toddler, welcome to the forum!

We have a lot of members with toddlers, so I am sure you will get a lot of info. Some thoughts from a parent with a 12 year-old:

• Typical range I have seen for kids ranging through broads sets of ages is 33% to 60%. The 50% ratio (or 33% ratio for mamny pediatric endos) is only a ranging number, in the opinion of many of this forum. For us, we do use the TDD (Total Daily Dose) to help us adjust basal as the week goes when we get into sickness, sports etc., but it never dictates our basal. As @ClaudnDaye writes, you have to try a lot of numbers to find what works for you at a given time (and it drifts away from that quickly). But I would say that, for us, with a 12 year old eating moderate carbs, 60% is in range for many good days, 50% is in range when we have some correction issues or larger carbs, and when it gets to 35% we typically must make adjustments because it is too low. That’s for us!

• the percentage of basal to TDD varies also according to how much sports activity our kid does, and how many carbs he/she will eat. If we ate a high-carb diet (we are not low-carb but we are definitely not high-carb) my son’s basal to TDD ratio would be a lot lower.

• I notice your endo does all the adjustments for you. That’s great. You will probably get to do your own adjustments sometime soon. That will make a lot of things easier (much faster to find the right ratios), but there also will be more head-scratching and doubt! We have found on this forum and others that, when dealing with kids, at least for us for ratios and dosing, a good patient community can be much more helpful than a diabetes clinic (in particular when you are trying to go for good A1cs).

Again welcome! It is great to have you! If you wish you may want to introduce your family in the Introduce yourself thread.

2 Likes