How does the honeymoon period end?

@Finn
I was diagnosed T1 in 1979, 22 yo, before human insulin or even BG meters. I used urine dipsticks, with the renal threshold for glucose being 180 mg/dL. So all you knew was you were over (positive) or under 180 (negative). I never had a positive urine dipstick measure. Did that mean I was in the honeymoon period? (I think I was taking 1 insulin shot a day?). Or just that I had good control (I doubt it given the lack of monitoring tech and insulins).

Ultimately things change and you will adapt. :four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

There may be few milestones, but my endo has me on daily sitagliptin tablets and once the honeymoon period is over for me and my pancreas stops producing insulin, Iā€™ll be taken off it as it wonā€™t be doing any good.

Before anyone says I shouldnā€™t be on sitagliptin as a Type 1 diabetic, I know sitagliptin isnā€™t used to treat Type 1 in some countries, but Iā€™m in Germany and this is how Iā€™ve been prescribed to use it as a T1D.

From my experience on the day where I accidentally took two sitagliptin tablets rather than one, and needed to eat double the carbs to avoid hypos, I can definitely see that sitagliptin helps my pancreas with insulin production. Once my honeymoon period is over and my pancreas isnā€™t trickling out insulin any more, the sitagliptin wonā€™t have a purpose and Iā€™ll be taken off it.

4 Likes

Interesting about the sitagliptin @Finn ; Iā€™m on metformin, which some also donā€™t suggest as a T1, but I started it back when I was prediabetic to see if it would help control my glucose, even if it wouldnā€™t prevent the inevitable progression. Iā€™ve stayed on it since starting insulin, but I go back and forth on whether I should eliminate it. (Yes, I take B12 supplements to replace what itā€™s preventing me from absorbing through diet.)

3 Likes

To update, I had another C-Peptid test last week.

The reference range is 1.1-4.4 ng/ml

In August 2021 (on diagnosis) I was 0.4 ng/ml
In October 2023 I am now 0.16 ng/ml

So itā€™s about halved in about two years.

I stopped taking sitagliptin (Iā€™d been on it since diagnosis) and I donā€™t notice any drastic changes in my insulin needs.

6 Likes

Thank you for the update Finn. Iā€™ve been taking sitagliptin since July. My endo just increased my dose to the therapeutic level this week. From what he said itā€™s supposed to have a protective effect on beta cells, thus prolonging the honeymoon period. I have been getting a c-peptide test every 3 months since being diagnosed last January. The results have been variable which I think is a hallmark of the honeymoon period.
The endo also talked about what the future of my care might look like as my insulin levels decrease. He mentioned possibly starting ozempic down the line for postprandial glucose control. I wonder if there are any other type 1s on this forum taking a semaglutide and how itā€™s working for them.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a VERY SMALL study of new T1Ds taking Ozempic upon diagnosis thatā€™s getting a lot of press. Kind of wish I would have been able to try it.

I think there are quite a few who take Ozempic on the forum but Iā€™m not sure if anyone got the chance to take it upon diagnosis? Please let us know about your experience with it if you get a chance!

4 Likes

Thank you! That is a very interesting article and it validates why I was hearing from the endo. The conversation was definitely about using ozempic in the next phase of my treatment. But because my BMI is already at the low end, he said heā€™d like to wait.

4 Likes

It sounds like you have a endo who is quite cutting edge. Hold onto that one. Itā€™s pretty impossible to get into see someone like that in my neck of the woods.

3 Likes

How does the Honeymoon period end? As per Ernest Hemingway: ā€œFirst gradually, then all at once.ā€

He was talking about going bankrupt, but I couldnā€™t resist the quote this morning.

e

9 Likes