How do Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia FEEL?

Eric: Hey Beacher, do you have any pictures of Allison’s butt?

Beacher: No, of course not!

Eric: Do you want to buy some?

5 Likes

4 Likes

Okay. So searching for “butt” posted by T1Allison may have yielded a surprisingly high number of results. 52.

8 Likes

The one time I was extremely low my body shut down, as in my muscles shut down, I slowly collapsed to the ground and spend some time (I guess while the glucagon cut in) wondering whether I was going to die in the middle of the woods, a chain saw curiously still grasped in my hand. Believe it or not I didn’t. After a while (glucagon akimbo) I was able to get up (hands first, then standing, then recovering the saw) and walk back to the house. It was a curiously and uniquely informative experience. My brain never cut out, neither side.

To answer the OP; hypoglycaemia feels angry, intoxicated, annoyed, helpless, in that order of progression. Hyperglycaemia feels irritated, very irritated, very, very irritated, tired, sick, awful, in that order. Lack of insulin (as distinct from hyperglycaemia) feels bad, muscles, everything goes to ■■■■, like cramps without the cramp, and then you die, I haven’t tried the last step yet, believe it or not.

5 Likes

I didn’t express it well. What I meant is that your brain shuts down one side of your body.

Since the brain is in charge of everything, it makes sense that it preserves itself over all else. :grinning:

4 Likes

It was clear; what I meant was that everything in my brain seemed fine, it’s just that I lost control of my muscles, though for me it was on both sides. I was lying there trying to work out how I used to make the damned things operate, but there was nothing I could do. I guess that has to be something in my nervous system but my brain was definitely of the opinion it wasn’t to blame.

3 Likes

I sometimes have great moments of clarity when I am very low.

One time I remember being totally unable to move. Paramedics were trying to place an IV so they could inject dextrose, but the paramedic kept missing my vein! Several failed attempts.

I kept trying to say, “Do you want me to do that for you?”. But my mouth would not work! :joy:

7 Likes

Are 60’s considered to be ok?
I thought 65 is ok if I have no meal time insulin on board, and only Tresiba.

2 Likes

I know I begin to feel “off” in the 60s. So I think it depends on how you feel and whether or not you are steady and your planned activity.

4 Likes

I am not comfortable with a Blood Glucose of 65. It’s not so much about how I feel at 65 as much as knowing that I could easily and quickly drop lower than that. It’s of course your body and your choice. But, based on my own personal history, if I am that low I am likely in the process of trying to bring my BG up by at least a bit. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

@lh378 I think it depends on the person. For some who have very good control and a relatively flat BG, it might be fine. I wouldn’t be comfortable with it. I’d already be starting to feel a low starting; I tend to wander around a bit (up and down) and once on a downward trajectory I tend to keep going that way and because my CGM is behind the power curve on reporting, I’d be popping some corrective carbs of some sort and watching it carefully. I’m sure others have different takes on it.

4 Likes

For me, I don’t think that 60s are immediately dangerous, but it is clear that in the 60s my thinking is impaired: my wife can tell very quickly during conversation.

I have heard that driving ability is measurably impaired — as in the case of drinking and driving, you are impaired even if you don’t think you are.

5 Likes

I think this is very accurate @TomH . If you have highly variable BG than sub 85 is time to panic, whereas someone with tight control might not until 50 or lower. Until I started to trust CIQ, the glucose was out and deployed at 85 or lower because I used to get 100 point drops seemingly out of nowhere.

Thanks to CIQ, FUD, and better knowledge overall, my control is much better and the crazy swings only happen during time changes or when I cross time zones for travel. I plan ahead for those. Now the glucose is out and deployed in the 40s or 50s depending on what is going on. Sometimes I wait too long, then I use @Eric 's Glucagon micro-dosing trick to gently control for how much and for for how long I will be on Mr Toad’s Wild BG Ride.

5 Likes