How do Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia FEEL?

that’s funny – so Samson could be a year and eight months younger than some kindergarteners in the state where you are! I think the cutoff in San Francisco is somewhere in September/October.

We’re in VA, so yep, Liam will be one of the oldest in his class in the 2020 class. lol. Just the way the rules fall, he’s not even eligible to enter because he’s not technically 5 when the deadline passes.

No Samson was born 4/4/14, so he’s four months younger than Liam

So he’s able to go to school at age 4? Nice! 5 is when they start here (unless pre-k)

no he’ll be 5 when Kindergarten starts… I feel like we are missing something here, LOL. 2019 is next year, right? He’ll be 5 then, as will Liam, right? Right now he’s in a “TK school” at his current preschool. They learn some letters and math but it’s really not nearly as academic as kindergarten.

Okay, we’re talking about two different school years it sounds like. You’re talking about 2019-2020, and I thought you were talking about 2018-2019 (as in, 3 more months when the next school year starts.)

Liam will be going 2019-2020.

yes! Okay so Liam will be going to school 2019-2020 – as will Samson. It all makes more sense now.

1 Like

Anyways, what our district told us is to get in touch a year before he plans to attend to start figuring out the care plan. That way, you know what care will look like and what the potential snags are in advance. If you decide it’s not for you you can pull him, but you’ve already done the work to set up the care plan if you decide to send him when he’s oler.

1 Like

My youngest starts kindergarten in the 2019-2020 school year, also. He’ll be 6. I red-shirted both of my boys for kindergarten since they’d both either be the youngest or oldest for their class. My youngest has such a severe speech delay that the extra year of speech therapy is a must, in my opinion.

There have been multiple T1D diagnoses in my elementary school and I get to watch how the school nurse handles things while I wait during my youngest son’s speech lessons. A very strong relationship with the school nurse and the specific teacher involved seem to heavily influence care, from what I’ve observed.

1 Like

Tia, if you guys have done up your 504 already, would you mind sending me a copy of it? I already the ones that @Michel and @Chris sent, but being that our kids are much younger, there may be things you have included which aren’t pertinent to their children (such as needing adult supervision for things.)

If you have yours completed and you wouldn’t mind sharing, I’d be very grateful. If you need my email address again, I can provide that.

we are starting the process in August but will send you what I have at that point.

2 Likes

I’m going to be reaching out to my district very soon so that we can get the ball rolling also. We can share our knowledge as we proceed. We can start a new thread in toddlers called something like ‘504 considerations for Toddlers.’ where we can discuss the process to help other parents in the future!

3 Likes

Weird hypoglycemia symptom: vibrations

So last night I had a mild low after going to bed…I treated it and tried to be patient so that I wouldn’t overdo it…but I got a lingering tuning fork type of vibration in my right hip and thigh. It was super goofy.

But then I remembered that I’d had that vibration before, in my buttcheeks. Last year on a super cold day I was walking the dog through a low and both sides of my butt were vibrating for the next hour. It was so nuts. So I didn’t know if it was the cold or the low or if I’d just finally lost my mind completely.

And then I felt it again last night in a different body part.

So, there’s that. Huh.

3 Likes

How low were you?

When extremely low, your brain will shut down one side. I think it’s generally your right side.

(Not 100% sure, that’s the best I can recall. I wasn’t exactly “all there” on the occasions when it happened. I just remember trying to drink with one hand. What’s worse is trying to open a coke with one hand. And then drink (spill) it with your left!)

Look up hypoglycemia and hemiparesis and hemiplegia.

Not sure if that’s the start of what you were feeling. I’m guessing it’s a progression. But you gotta be really low to get to that.

In a way it’s really neat. Your brain is trying to save whatever glucose it can for itself. So it shuts stuff down. Really cool emergency processes the body has.

5 Likes

Per Contour, low 60’s and upper 50’s. So not bad at all.

5 Likes

A friend of mine shared a Facebook memory from 10 years ago where his T1D child woke up with paralysis down the right side of the body from a deep low. So you saying this now is timely.

5 Likes

So the right side seems legit. I checked it out, that’s apparently the standard.

It’s not ideal, obviously you never want to get there. But you can assure them that as long as they get the BG back up soon, it isn’t anything long-lasting. I have been there many times, and I am still working.

6 Likes

Curious if there’s a single thread on this forum where @T1Allison hasn’t managed to raise her butt. :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

tenor

5 Likes

I apologize for nothing!! LOL!

Keeping the ‘betes real, fun and real fun!! :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes