Hip Replacement - Post-Op (long 🤷)

The surgery was only 1.5 hours, so no urinary catheter necessary. They said it was only another possible source of infection.

My husband was able to sign up for text alerts about the progress of the surgery, and waited in the waiting room. Ask about the availability of this.

The recovery room was a large area with curtains around each station. I was wrapped in warm blankets and very comfy. I woke up quickly and could talk to the nurse who stayed by my side. I was totally aware, but numb from the waist down. A team of 2 nurses (?) came in with a portable unit and ultra-sounded my bladder, they have a protocol to follow (I found out very quickly, there are lots of protocols!). They used a small catheter to empty my bladder, which of course I couldn’t feel at all. Then a second team came in to x-ray my hip. I started to realize that both of those teams seemed to be oddly dressed…gowns, gloves, double masks and face shields. :thinking:

Then to the surgical unit and my room. By this time the numbness was gone and I felt fully aware.

Turns out the “odd” garb was due to the original positive Covid test I had that morning. I was now the “Covid” room.:roll_eyes:

They came in and did a 3rd Covid test…a nucleic acid one this time. :pray:

In the meantime my husband had gone to the cafeteria to get some lunch, and they wouldn’t let him back in to my room. :flushed::flushed: He had to garb up with gown, gloves, double masks, and face shield before they would let him back in.

Finally the 3rd Covid test results came back and it was negative. Everyone relaxed and from now on only wore a single face mask.

Time for lunch…now comes the T1D interesting stuff…

7 Likes