High BG before bed - what would you do?

Are you able to do 1/2 units?

No I just have the kwikpen u100 -unless I don’t know somethig which is highly likely I can’t be bothered with all the fuss with vials and syringes and diluting to be honest - I prefer the couple of skittles I can eat to half the 1 unit dose

You don’t have to dilute. You can get the Lilly Luxura pen, which uses cartridges instead of throwing the whole pen away like the KwikPen.

It’s nice because it has the 1/2 unit doses built in!

Check it out.

You can get the pen from Canada for $10. And just get the cartridges from your prescription insurance.

1 Like

That’s great I will check that out for sure - thanks for the tip

2 Likes

Here the pen is from Canada for $10.40. My co-pay alone in the U.S. was about $40.

https://www.canadadrugs.com/products/humapen-luxura-hd-pen-injection/100002171

1 Like

Cool - on my slow release it really is slow - I had a cup of coleslaw and a salmon steak tonight at 6.15 - kept it low fat and low carb (6g) so I could see what’s happening - it’s now 5hrs later and the sugar release from the protein is still going strong - it’s been nice and steady since the meal and I’ve only risen 30 units in that time (with 4 units) but long it really does prove that the protein on a LCHP meal pumps out the sugar - looks like I definitely need to take 3 boluses per meal like this as the one I took 45 mins after has now run out so I took another one at 10 .30 !!!

EH has one that was a sample from the endo office. It took a few endo’s to find one. And it says “THIS IS A SAMPLE” on the side which I find really funny. And in addition to the half unit dosing, it is metal and makes a loud noise when it hits the ground. More likely to find it. :wink:

I will say, and I can’t find the thread because I’m lazy and using my phone, the half unit injections raise the question of: does that little amount actually get in there and work? Sometimes it seems like .5u isn’t enough to do anything. Still, I would recommend trying it.

Also, the cartridges are much smaller than the pens for hauling around a backup.

1 Like

Does it get in there? In my limited experience (with the novopen Echo, not the kwikpen), yes. Does it work? That would depend on a few factors (ICR, current BG, etc), and what you’re hoping to achieve. For me, if I take .5u while at a normal BG for 15-17g carbs, it works (my ICR most of the day is 1:35). If I try to do just a .5u correction, it barely nudges my BG down. A few examples below of success with it:

Last night, though, I dosed .5u when I was in the 150s, and it only dropped me to the 120s. For me, that’s not enough.

2 Likes

I’d do a test run correction when you’re running high before bed one time and just resolve to stay away and test every hour to see what happens. From there you will get a decent sense of what’s going on and maybe the next time you’ll feel comfortable correcting, say, half as much as that and you can feel comfortable going to sleep, then getting up for an alarm in 3 hours time. And then after doing this a few times you’ll fine tune it and get to sleep.

It’s tough of course if you have a young baby – every extra minute of sleep is super important!

1 Like

That’s a good idea. I’ll choose a night when hubby will be home the next day to help his zombie wife. :wink:

1 Like

@Robellengold, we also got several from Canada for about $10 each. If you check the Vendor subcategory, there is one Canada vendor mentioned where discussion mentions pens. They don’t ship insulin though.

{Edit] I found it: Online Canadian Pharmacy: CanadaDrugs.com - #5 by MaryPat

We use 0.5U all the time to micro-adjust!

In fact, now that we are on the pump, we use even 0.2U injections. But, when we were MDI, we used lots of 0.5U. This is for a boy whose average TDD is in the 40s, so not a low insulin user.

I’m like you with an occasionally functional pancreas… My correction ratio is usually 1:60-ish but it can vary. I need a lot more insulin with breakfast than dinner. So if I’m over 150 without iob, I’d do a unit. Unless I’m running or just ran (and therefore much more insulin sensitive), I’m not getting up and stabbing myself for a correction any smaller. So far, I haven’t had any overnight lows (confirmed by the dexcom)- I stay very steady overnight so I don’t know if they’d wake me up. I sleep like a rock. I can’t fall asleep when I’m very low (like <55).

2 Likes

You have to pay for these?

In Canada, they can be had for free at Endos and Pharmacies if you ask.

2 Likes

You can also get them for free if you ask your endo clinic (if your endo practice has decent size). But you look greedy when you ask for 3 or 4 at a time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i tried the dexcom for almost 2 years. it wasn’t for me. alarms were going off all night long and i couldn’t get a proper sleep. they would wake me up, i would do a finger stick, and the dex was way off the mark many instances. “false alarms” (ha ha) now i am back to finger sticks, which i prefer. i just get up twice during the night ( to go to the bathroom) and i test then. i would even rather set an alarm clock for different hours of the night to wake me up to test, than to deal with that darn dexcom.

but i think that i am one of the only people who do not like the dexcom or other cgms.

and as far as bolusing before bed when your BG is only 100 - 120, i would deffinately let it ride. thats a great target range, and after a full night of fasting, your morning BG should be perfect. (unless you deal with DP ) IMHO.

3 Likes