Have Diabetes, Would Travel

My wife, Anita, and I were married in 1964. I had been type 1 for 18 years at that time. I was testing my urine, using animal insulin, and did not know about the effect of carbs on my blood sugar. My control was dismal, with many highs during the day, and some terrible lows at night. I had seizures at night several times each year. My wife was only 20 when we married, and she had a very hard time adjusting to my diabetes, especially the seizures. She became an expert while helping me, and she never complained. In the mid 1980s I had my first meter, I learned about carbs, and I started carb counting with a fast acting insulin in the 1990s. My control improved. There were still frequent lows, but no seizures. In 2007 I started using an insulin pump, and presently I have a Dexcom CGM. My control is so much better, and I never need any help when I have lows, because they are not serious lows.
Anita remembers the old times when I needed her help so often. She was so frightened when I had seizures so long ago. She is still concerned that I may have very low blood sugar, even though my control has been so good for more than 20 years. She sets the alarm each night for 1, 4 and 7 AM. I check my BG to satisfy her that I am okay. She cannot sleep unless I am in good shape. She checks with me several times each day, especially before meals, to be sure that everything is good. (I do have some lows but they are not bad ones, and I can easily take care of myself.)
Anita’s memories of how it used to be causes her to be this way. I cannot take trips by myself, even for a few hours in the afternoon, without her worrying so much about me. She wants to go with me on those occasions to keep a watch on me. Her being this way really gets on my nerves, but I rarely complain. She probably saved my life several times in the past, so I appreciate her attention, even though it is no longer necessary. I want to attend diabetes conferences, and make other trips without her going with me. She does not like to travel, she loves staying at home. She went with me to the Friends For Life conference in Orlando in 2015. II was a speaker there that year. We are planning to attend that conference again in 2019. I would like to attend more diabetes related meetings, and conferences, including the FFL’s in Canada and the UK, but this will not happen. I love Anita so much, and cannot ask her to take all those trips. She loves me so much that she would insist on going with me. Love and a great marriage is wonderful, but I do want to travel more. I will just count my blessings, and take only an occasional trip.

I hope that all type 1 children will find a spouse that will love, and take good care of them.

9 Likes

That is a really nice comment about the power of a marriage.

Some may say, you should demand travel, but I find it beautiful when those in a marriage compromise to make the best combination of the couple not just the two individuals. I know that with my children, raising them has been a series of compromises that have made both myself and my wife better parents.

Congrats on a great marriage and an even better attitude!

7 Likes

@Richard157 I just want to say that I love your life stories. You are an inspiration. I am also very lucky to have a great husband who has been at my side for almost 29 years. In our case he’s the one who loves to travel and I tend to be a homebody (packing T1D supplies can be so stressful :weary:). I will definitely seek you out at FFL in 2019.

3 Likes

Hear, hear!

@Richard157, your stories are always a treat, thank you so much!

2 Likes

@Richard157 I can similarly vouch for a loving spouse who married me despite my T1 D 30 years ago. She has saved my life too many times to count, and has similarly stayed up nights just watching me to make sure I was still breathing.

Night duty got a bit better with the Dexcom, but old habits are hard for her to break. She still gets up at night to check the Dexcom, even if it hasn’t alarmed.

She is truly my life partner, and my diabetes partner. I feel quite blessed to have her in my life.

4 Likes

Hi doc, my wife seems to be a carbon copy of yours. We are very lucky guys to have such wonderful, loving caretakers.

3 Likes

I hope we will meet at FFL that year. We intended to go in 2016, but illness interfered. We will do our best to be there,

3 Likes