Has anyone else ever seen a 100+ jump in a matter of 5 to 10 minutes?

My guess is you finally dip below the insulin levels needed to suppress glucose dumping from the liver, at which point you will get higher carb sensitivity. But this explanation makes more sense in my instance – where his pump is suspending his insulin delivery during lows. If your son is on a long-acting basal, presumably you are always suppressing that liver dumping no matter what.

2 Likes

You are right, mine is on MDI.

It may require some experimenting to figure is out. Right now I don’t really have any lead to explain this. But I have seen it many times – we are all here seeing it, including @Irish. So I truely think it’s real.

Another factor is that your body does not always process food at the same rate. Sometimes the GI tract takes a back seat and the digestion process slows down.

I am sure non-diabetics have the same thing, but they never see it. Their pancreas just waits until it is needed.

This is not the same thing you are talking about, but another example - during exercise I can see it flood if I have been fueling a run for a long time and then my HR drops below 135. That’s when all the previous fuel will come flooding in. This is easy for me to predict. It’s hard to predict when I see it happen as I’m sitting on the couch. But I am sure there are some similarities between them.

Yes, for me this was unlike anything I’d experienced over this last year. It didn’t feel like a run of the mill carb stacking (though I’ve certainly experienced this too). It was more of an immediate response (or sensitivity to) both carbs and insulin sort of simultaneously. So an overnight low treated by 2 sips of juice sent me to the 150s with a double arrow up, and then when I corrected with insulin (when I probably should have waited it out), I went double diving. This pattern was on repeat for about 72 hours with the final 24 being the most extreme. I am keeping track of it on my calendar, because it felt so wildly out of character. I am guessing it is linked hormones for me, but I can’t be more sure until I experience it again (may I never! It was 3 days of awful).

I feel like this roller coaster should have its own name. Maybe like the Screamin’ Delta Demon at the old Opryland theme park where I grew up.

Anyway, sorry to have gotten off-topic a bit, Harold.I simply wanted to say that I have had lots of experience with wild deviation in a matter of minutes. This pattern from last week just happened to be the worst. Wishing this wasn’t also your experience with Liam.

1 Like