Get a Dog!

I have a cat that might be part Border Collie. He herds me towards his food dish.

(It really is very funny.)

3 Likes

Our Australian Shepherd, Bolt, is often mistaken for a Border Collie. He’s very smart and lovingly protective (gratefully not in an aggressive way). I’ve often thought he knows when I’m low.

I’ve also noticed that when my cat wakes me up (by sitting on my chest and liking my face) I’m usually pretty low. Love my pets.

3 Likes

Dogs may be the best answer to many security issues.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/23/nypd-to-use-secret-weapon-at-thanksgiving-day-parade-vapor-wake-retrievers.html

1 Like

For @Eric especially (because of their names)!! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I have not read this thread, but just wondering what those of you who work do for your dogs during the day?

My allergies have lessened and I really would like a pet. We had dogs and cats growing up and not being able to be around them is honestly one fo the things I hate most about my allergies. But with them having improved a bit, I’m wondering if I could get a poodle or other smaller dog with hair and make that work. My only concern beyond allergies and fear that I’d be sick constantly would be that I work all day and travel overnight at times. A cat would be a better option, but I’m too allergic to them.

I think if you pick your breed well, kenneling them during the day, or leaving them to roam is completely possible. We had a dog that would sleep all day after 12 months and was happy with the play before/after work. You might want to borrow a friends to see if you are really not allergic. My wife is still allergic to the poodles and wheaten terriers.

1 Like

That’s a good idea - I just texted my mom to see if I can borrow their Yorkie for a few days this summer. (Not sure if they will let me…) I’m definitely still allergic to dogs, but I think less so than before. But it’s hard to tell. Some dogs I still can’t be in the same room as for a few hours without reacting, but others like my parents’ dog I can pet and hold with barely reacting (though I do wash my hands if I’ve been touching him). I used to break out in hives if I tried to pick him up…

My friend basically paid a doggy daycare to take her dog to all the awesome parks in San Francisco where they’d roam around all day. He lived to a very ripe old age (I think 17??) so it must have been good for him.

2 Likes