Freestyle Libre in the US: 10-day vs 14-day sensor comparison

A Wiki?
I don’t see why not.
Glad I could help. I’ve learned so much since finding FUD, thanks to everyone’s willingness to share their own knowledge. It’s a good feeling to be able to give a little something back.

The Libre system can be a great addition to the fight to control diabetes, but it’s by no means perfect, and there is still a LOT of room for improvement, by Abbott, by 3rd party developers, and by the db community.

Once this little snafu of switching over to the 14 day sensors settles down, the next big HUGE hurdle is going to be to address the sizable number of folks that develop really NASTY skin reactions to the adhesive. This is going to become critical as more folks start using these devices, and the numbers of people that have a reaction continues to grow. Most disturbing, to me at least, is the fact that it’s possible to use the sensors quite successfully for an extended period of time, and then develop a skin reaction almost out of the blue.
By all accounts, once this occurs, you will always have that potential reaction with the current adhesive formulation. Folks that have been successful with incorporating the sensors into their self care regimen are devastated when this reaction strikes, and their only viable option is to give them up completely, and to go back to doing blood glucose finger sticks. I’ve made a conscious decision to hold off on even thinking about the addition of a transmitter accessory until I have some degree of confidence that I am not prone to this potential problem, or that it has been solved. They are much too expensive, for me at least, to invest in a device that I may have to give up using completely within a few months after acquiring one.

1 Like