Freestyle Libre: going from 10 to 14-day sensors

I don’t think there is any difference in sensor accuracy, some people just seem to struggle with the Libre and others do fine. I have found it more accurate in the first 24 hours than Dexcom and better at catching spikes that Dexcom misses. It can be off as much as ~2 mmol/L at times (36 mg/dl) but I dont find this a huge deal.

3 Likes

I edited my post but am also making a new comment to clear up some misinformation…apparently the $25/sensor I paid (thinking I was buying 14 day sensors) was only because I was given 10 day sensors. I went to pick up my two 14 day sensors, and I was charged $74.99. :slightly_frowning_face: So it’s actually not a good deal to switch from the -0 day to 14 day in my case (your insurance coverage may vary, of course. I also haven’t looked into any discount options). Not only that…but the pharmacy gave me 10 day sensors, assuring me they were 14 day sensors. Again.

2 Likes

So the price for the 14-day sensors is #37.50 (about $2.70/day), while the price of the 10-day sensors is $25 ($2.50) per day?

1 Like

Yes. So not a significant difference, but enough to make me realize this huge struggle with my pharmacy to get switched over is not worth it. :frowning_face:

1 Like

I must say, it irritates me to see Abbott (or another other company) play around with pricing to extract another little sliver of flesh (another $5.50/30 days) for the privilege of using the same sensor for 4 more days. I am pretty sure this is just a difference in FDA approval for these “different” sensors.

Right. The only reason I think I’ll proceed with the switch is because of the 1 hr warmup on the 14 day vs 10 day (12 hr warmup). If I’m going to be adding basal insulin, I want more monitoring coverage, especially since I’ve been using nights to do the warmup but now will want to keep a closer eye on nights.

Also bummed because I just saw a post about a FreeStyle app on phones now being available for US users, but it’s for iPhones and only the 7 or newer. I have a 6s and have no intention (and no funds) to purchase a newer phone any time soon. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Here is the Diatribe article on this. You are right :frowning:

And I’m just popping in here and have no idea if this has already been discussed, but I don’t think the 14 day sensors are compatible with Spike… for those who care and/or don’t know something different. :grin:

I’m hanging onto Spike by a thread at this point— like I really don’t have a good handle, BUT I really do enjoy the fact I get it on my watch while I run, I can skip the 12 hour warm up with it, AND I have heard I can extend my 10 days of readings to 13 days with it anyway… I have only confirmed the first 2 of 3 claims there, but #3 does come from a reliable source, so I believe it.

You guys know I’m not top of the class at FUD with any of this stuff, but I think these might be other reasons to consider not making the change to 14 day sensors if you haven’t done so already…

And now I’m popping back out. :grin:

2 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Freestyle Libre in the US: 10-day vs 14-day sensor comparison

Hi, RE: NFM to Bluetooth adapters for Android Apps like Spike & xDrip.
Yes Abbott changed the code on their 14 day sensors so my Ambrosia Blucon Nightrider stopped working about 6 weeks ago when I got my first 14 day sensors. ie:until Ambrosia figures out the new coding. I believe the MiaoMiao also had the same issue. Still trying to find out if the coding issue of the 14 day sensors has been resolved. Anyone know?

1 Like

Not yet…the miao miao website is easier to decipher when it will work, just loom in the FAQ…ambrosia I think is trying to hide the fact that it is useless in the us…I switched to eversense when I ran out of 10 day sensors, and haven’t looked back…my 1st removal was a little rough, but healed up nicely after About week And a half…

1 Like
My wife got diagnosed with diabetes last year, and the news devasted the whole family. We started looking for ways to have a consistent check on her glucose level. Thanks to Nightrider BluCon that helped us keep a check on her health with the aid of the LinkBluCon app and also share the readings with her caregiver through the FollowBluCon app.
1 Like

Glad to hear that combination is working. Do you have any issues from time to time, or is it easy to set up and always working?