Flying and variation in pump output

Welcome @SophiaMontoya! I’m sorry you’ve had an unfortunate experience with the Omnipod.

My partner EH travels for business frequently and flies a number of flights every month. When we were researching the OmniPod pump system, we were concerned about the possibility of insulin being delivered inappropriately due to the pressure change on the airplane. @Michel and @Eric and I had a long discussion via phone about this issue, and that is what started this post I believe. Thanks to @Michel’s review of available scientific research, we felt fine going forward with the OmniPod!

So far, no hypoglycemia episodes have occurred. We are in the middle of a trip which will include seven different flight segments on a variety of aircraft. If it comes up as a problem, we will report back! Using Lantus sounds like a good back up plan if that’s something you’re concerned about, but EH has never needed to switch to that method.

While I saw your reiteration about individual personal experiences being paramount to scientific research, it raises concern for me as a regular FUD reader that someone else might stumble across this thread and see only personal experiences that are not supported by science. It feels unfair to ask @Eric to cite sources when there were existing sources in the thread, and while you’re stating that personal experiences should be shared and don’t need support or sources.

Also, I agree with other folks that many travelers experience stress, added unusual exercise, and so on which could lower blood glucose.

I’m sorry that you’ve traveled and had these issues with the pump and hypoglycemia. I’m sure that’s stressful in and of itself.

Here’s to happier travels in your future!

4 Likes