FDA approves Tandem Basal - IQ

Might still useful at night though? That is my thought on any CGM pump for myself right now, to see if it works for me at night.

This is really so disappointing :frowning:
But I am still very hopeful about Tandem predictive tech. It appears to me to be more like a second generation, after the huge disappointment of the 670g.

1 Like

Oh, I think it will be useful at night, however, if there isnā€™t a way to automatically timebound it, then it might be less helpful for us. i.e. remember to turn it on every night, and of course it isnā€™t clear if this is even an option, since I am unsure what the startup looks like for the algorithm.

2 Likes

@Chris Thank you for calling to clarify. :sunglasses: I have six months of supplies PLUS a rainy day supply. I might just permanently migrate to XDip+ when the last transmitter dies and run that until I am well and truly out of sensors. That will give me ~ 3 months to sort through the medical quagmire - something I dread because of all the incorrect information Dexcom tries to state as fact about my insurance plans. Maybe if they asked the right questions to start withā€¦

3 Likes

I wish Discourse had a dislike button for this post. :frowning:
The more I hear about the direction Dexcom is going (more and more expensive) and t:slim details (not truly waterproof, semi-automated system only working with the expensive G6), the less and less likely itā€™s looking like these will be products Iā€™ll (continue to) use. :frowning: Medtronic is looking more and more likely to me, even though it has its own flawsā€¦ Iā€™ve never felt so sad and gloomy considering which pump to upgrade to before.

1 Like

Well before going off to join the big blue brigade, you might want to inquire into their support issues, because I watched them poorly support employees with pumps, I canā€™t imagine what would happen if you were merely a customer. The pump issues aside, I can say that Tandem has been top notch with support for us.

3 Likes

@Chris I agree. Tandem has been more helpful and more supportive than Dexcom at this point. I had a pump replacement in hand < 12 hours on a weekend, with regular followup calls from Tandem throughout re: BGs (most likely for legal reasons, but hey, made my spouse happy). I also get Dexcom sensors replaced faster through Tandem than through Dexcom.

2 Likes

Why is the G6 more expensive? (Iā€™m assuming that you are willing to restart the G6 sensors: phone software to do it is supposedly already available.)

1 Like

My understanding is both the sensors and transmitters expire. I currently use the G4 and use sensors for a month each (on average) and transmitters for over a year.

Can G6 sensors be reset and still work with official devices like pumps? Or can they only be used with unofficial apps like xDrip?

@Jen I have been reading both here and on TUD that people are getting a minimum of 29 days/sensor. First by running the code, then a ten day cycle without the code. One blogger has even stated that they ha e restarted the sensor on 7 day intervals for a month. G6 transmitters so far no one has hacked that I know of.

Personally, a month on a 10 day sensor works just fine for me. When I get enough of a rainy day supply, I will hack the transmits and use them with XDrip to save a few $ or to float the 3 months or so it takes Dexcom to correctly verify my insurance.

1 Like

Do you know if the hacked G6 sensors (and transmitters) work with the pump? I know these things work with xDrip, but the only reason I would upgrade to a newer system above the original G4 that Iā€™m using is for pump compatibility. I donā€™t care about having Dexcom on my phone at all, and in fact I quite like having a separate receiver that isnā€™t reliant on my cell keeping a charge. Iā€™d only upgrade to go the closed-loop route. If I canā€™t use it with the pump, Iā€™ll stick with the G4 till itā€™s discontinued and Iā€™m forced to switch to something else, or maybe give the Libre a try. Even if only the sensors could be extended to work with the pump, at least that would put it on par with the G5 in terms of cost.

G6 will be working on upgraded Tandem pumps sometime in August /September. The G6 update is being pushed with the PLGS update to the Tslim X2 for those that have Drā€™s orders and insurance approval

@jen Tandemā€™s version on the Hybrid Closed Loop is expected sometime in early Q1 2019ā€¦as an update, using Dexcom G6

Dexcom has stated that while the individual G6 sensors are more cost, the per month price is equal to the G5 sensor cost per month. I have yet to hear about transmitter prices.

So for people who wear the G5 until they turn to dust or stop working, the G6 would definitely be more expensive.

Yes Indeed

@Ericā€¦thinking about it, if the G6 can be restarted repeatedly and you do the normal calibrations, then the cost is the same as the G5. The G4 will still be the least expensive option that Dexcom provides.

No, because if each G6 is more expensive than each G5, as you stated:

These are just random price numbersā€¦

If you pay $60 for a single G5 sensor and can restart the crap out of it and get it to last 30 daysā€¦

Or you pay $75 for a single G6 sensor and can restart the crap out of it and get it to last 30 daysā€¦

The cost per day is cheaper for the G5.

It looks like it works with the G6 receiver, when I read option 1 in this article, but letā€™s call it promising rather than fact until we hear that the phone plays no essential role.

2 Likes