Failing Omnipod: slow leak

Another excellent suggestion! :+1:t3:

ETA: Yoga is all about stretching in addition to flexibility and core strength. This will take some thought!

2 Likes

@Catlady, are you using SkinTac?

We have had to develop quick a routine to keep our Dexcom attached through all the swimming. We have reused some of it with our pods. We wash and dry the skin, sanitize it with alcohol, let it dry, then apply one to three layers of SkinTac (waiting for the next one that the previous one is just tacky) depending upon the intensity of upcoming swim practices. We have only lost one so far due to a physical issue: it was a collision.

I will have to get some and try it. Thanks!

When I was having problems I tried SkinTac - It worked well but I find I no longer need it for pods. I use SkinTac for my dexcom sensors - They last 2+ weeks with SkinTac.

Also - if there is a lot of movement I had thought about gettting somehting like this to prevent pod movement - http://www.bands4life.net/faqs.htm

I never did though.

2 Likes

It might help to be stretching the area as you apply it.

I think if you put it on when the area is compressed, but later stretch it, it would be more likely to fall off. But if you put it on when the area is currently stretched, it would help.

BTW, I have had good success wearing it between ribs 6 and 7. Parallel to the ribs, right in the gap between them.

2 Likes

We actually use a band similar to this from time to time, in situation when bumping is likely (volleyball etc.)

This is fascinating. I will try it on the next failure.

We didnā€™t find it to be the case during the last failure, but that one was very painful when it was inserted and never became comfortable until it went bad and started leaking. It didnā€™t give basal properly.

The other leaks seemed to be related to moving his arms and the cannula coming out.

So maybe weā€™ve yet to experience the same slow leak type issues. It does seem like the large bolus is an issue though, even if we canā€™t continue to use the site for basal delivery.

Interestingly, we did try one on the back, and Eric really didnā€™t like it ā€“ I think that he was not stretching the area when we applied it, so when he did stretch ā€“ bend over, he found that it was really uncomfortable. Certainly takes a little bit of work to figure out where to put these things! @Eric is doing a great job! Love the diagrams.

2 Likes

For me thatā€™s a sign that a pod will definitely not work out. If I hardly notice the insertion, Iā€™m guaranteed pretty nice numbers for the duration. If I wince, suck in air, and/or say ā€œyouch,ā€ we are not going to get along well at all.

6 Likes

That has often been my experience, too. As for now, I placed the newest one on my upper thigh (with tape) and so far, so good. Paws crossed!

4 Likes

Not to make any assumptions, but I assume that lady thighs are a little bit less hairy than man thighs. We have discussed the thigh as a future location, and I was wondering if men ever had a problem with adhesion due to body hair?

2 Likes

I always just shave the hair off where the pod goes onā€¦

3 Likes

Me, too. Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not dating.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: How often/ much to rotate pump sites?

Good to know regarding shaving.

@Aaron, sorry, Iā€™ve poked around and I canā€™t find where you describe your technique. Would you mind linking or repeating? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

@beacher - I do this ā€œholdā€ during the cannula insertion:

I squeeze up the skin on either side of the pod with my thumb and middle finger. The fingers are on either side of the adhesive.

I use my pointer finger (? index finger?) to push down on the cannula end of the pod.

I let go once the insertion is complete.

I tried to take a picture but my pod is on my back and I canā€™t exactly hold the camera there :smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I do much the same, but cup my hand over the pod and apply pressure rather than use the fingers as you do. I thought perhaps you had some extra adhesive or something. I wonder why that solved the tunneling for you but hasnā€™t (on its own) for me.

1 Like

The pods I have been using lately are really sticky compared to previous ones I used. I find that the little area around the cannula is a really tight seal and it leaves a mark on my skin when I pull the pod off. I also now have to use either alcohol or Remove to get the pods off these days where I used to just peel them off after three days.

2 Likes

I just tried inserting between ribs 6 and 7.

It was the most excruciating 60 seconds of my life.

4 Likes

Really? Did you hit the rib?

I just pinch up the skin and donā€™t have any pain. The ribs give it a good solid surface to hold it in place. To me it just seems more stable there.