Early stages LADA, glucose all over the place

I agree that an endo should look at the total picture, especially the BG history from the CGM. Sounds like this GP is just checking boxes.

Does your HMO provide access to their medical policy for getting a consult with an endo? The policy should be in writing and available, usually on their website. Perhaps you can bypass the GP and get in to the HMO endo by some other means such as a phone call or an appeal.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, which brand of CGM are you using? Dexcom? Medtronic? (Or something different which I don’t know about? :man_shrugging: )

1 Like

It’s a Freestyle Libre 14 day.

1 Like

Sometimes I wonder if I am and should just drop it and wait until I start seeing fasting numbers that are consistently high. I don’t want to waste the doctor’s time and you all here have been very generous in taking the time to respond. The outside perspective really has helped.

2 Likes

From your c-peptide it’s clear that you have an insulin insufficiency. In my arrogance I think it would be best for you to get a proper diagnosis and treatment. Controlling your BG is a nuisance, but it helps protect you. Your future self has a stake in the outcome.

2 Likes

I’m totally on board with controlling my BG. The thing that’s not clear to me about c-peptide is that I don’t think my fasting glucose was very high that day. I don’t remember and I wonder at times if low c-peptide without an out of range glucose means the same thing. I won’t stop paying attention to my glucose. I think that my CGM prescription is for a year’s worth.

3 Likes

Welcome home, @Caterpillar! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the smile!

2 Likes

Welcome! This is truly the most incredible place to get valid information, process and take your journey. At 56 I was thrown into ICU with an A1c of 15. Needless to say at that stage I didn’t have any tests on the line. When I stumbled out of the hospital 5 days later I had a very clear diagnosis and I could move forward from there. My heart goes out to you being so on the fence and having to depend on the system “protocol”. In my experience this forum is where I have received the most realistic information. I only saw the Endo twice as he was absolutely no help. The person who literally talked me off the cliff was my Diabetes Educator. She too had been diagnosed with LADA (became a DE because of that) so she gets it beyond any book educating. She is the one who fights for me and makes suggestions to my Dr…aka Physicians Asst. What I have learned is listen to myself, as I am my most powerful advocate. Keep questioning and pushing for what makes the most sense to you. I’ve read books in the range from Dr Bernstein (eating no carbs - almost) to the Mastering Diabetes Book (eating lots of carbs), listen to all sorts of talks, experiment with different exercise regimes, etc… What I am realizing over and over is what works for one is different from another. I started on the Dexcom 6 which I like. I was previously on the Libre 14 day but didn’t have the alarm. before that I finger pricked multiple times a day. I eat a pretty low carb diet and exercise regularly - nothing too intense (says the ex athlete). I am happy with my A1c and my bs stays in a nice range. Most importantly I feel good, and with your do-diligence you will get there too!
Hang in there and I hope you come to a resolution soon!
Cheers

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. This group and notes like yours show me how we can not only live with the uncertainties of diabetes but to live well and even thrive.

2 Likes