Drinking Lots of Water and Lowered BGs

Has this happened to anyone?

When I drink a lot of water, my blood sugars will go low. I have experimented with this countless times, and it has happened every time with me. But I am not talking about a glass of water; I am talking about drinking a large bottle of water (24oz). Whenever I return from a run or any exercise, and I find myself very thirsty, I drink and drink and drink. and, within as little as half and hour to 45 minutes, my BGs come crashing down. Its as if, if I plan to, drinking a lot of water requires pre-emptive taking of glucose tablets (or anything of the same sort).

I don’t mean to sound ignorant, but I am in regard to this. Please chime in and share your experiences. I am really looking forward to hearing from as many of you as possible!!

2 Likes

No, I don’t experience this, but I wish I did! I am willing to try drinking 24oz. of water and see if my BG budges.

Are you sure the BG drop is due to the large amount water, and not the previous exercise? Have you tried drinking a large bottle of water when no exercise occurred, and you still drop?

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve tried this many times. But I have to say that after a run, I drink about (close to) 96oz of water. (I spend the rest of my day and evening peeing it all out :rofl: :crazy_face:.)

but consistently, water brings my BGs way down. (running, not running, bolusing or not bolusing)

3 Likes

I just drank 48 oz of water, and I went from BG 90 to currently BG 67 and still dropping in about an hour.

I did run today though, so this drop is not unusual for me at this time of day.

I will try it maybe after dinner tonight and see if 48 oz makes a difference!

2 Likes

Now I know that I am not alone! :wink:

1 Like

Water helps me get better bg if I’ve been stuck high and am dehydrated…but I haven’t personally seen a drop due to super hydration. But I’ll keep an eye out!!

3 Likes

Well, but I think that drop would happen even without the water. Anyway, I am going to test it tonight and see if I can spot a difference. My BGs are typically difficult to control at night post dinner, so if water helps, I’m willing to drink a gallon!!! :rofl:

2 Likes

I havent tried this “experiment” yet with unruly high, stubborn BGs, though, so I can’t speak for the water “trick” cross the board.

2 Likes

I did the 48 oz. water “trick” last night. I drank the water after dinner. Tough to fit it all in! Afterwards, I went for a short walk of about 1mi, shorter than usual for after dinner but I needed to use the restroom!

My BGs did remain remarkably stable after an initial spike due to walking. Usually, they will spike up slowly from the moment I return home after my walk, and continue that way for several hours. This time, my BG stabilized at 84 for about an hour before they slowly spiked up (4 hours post dinner) over the next 1.5 hrs to max 112, while Loop gave me small boluses. This is certainly an improvement for me. I’m not sure I can attribute the stability to drinking water, but stable BGs after dinner rarely occurs! I will certainly continue to experiment with this!! Thanks, @daisymae, for this thread!! :blush:

2 Likes

I too face this many times, i feel that i am the only one with this type of feeling but now i happy so many are with me…LOL

1 Like

If this is a constant pattern, why don’t you experiment with changing your dinnertime ICR? I used to notice this problem occurring after breakfast, and once I changed my ICR, the BG rise went away.

Wow! You really are exercise sensitive! I am amazed to hear that you would spike after a walk. I usually will run low. Complete opposite. :walking_woman:

2 Likes

I don’t think it is ICR per se, but rather my failure to bolus for the 4 hour BG creep up from fat and protein. :frowning: I’m hoping Loop will take care of that creep with the auto-bolus!

Yep, during the walk my BG drops, but after the walk it spikes!

2 Likes

First off, I ALWAYS have to bolus for fat and protein. And, if its a particularly high fat meal, I must do a dual bolus. Every time. It took my first experience with the dexcom to figure this one out. (now I can eat Japanese food with impunity and not worry about delayed spikes. Yahoo!)

as I already mentioned, u r really really exercise sensitive. After a nice walk (not to b confused with a speed walk), my BGs go low. always.

2 Likes