Does anyone else NOT measure?

When I’m home I generally do weigh the carbs as a matter of routine, because that way I have somewhat less active steering to do later. When I’m not home, I just SWAG and it works ok. (SWAG=super wild-assed guess)

4 Likes

Oh, no, don’t tell me OXO has a cold-brew coffee maker! I’ve bought five or six of their products over the past year (including a scale, ha) and love all of them. Right now I make mine by steeping it and then straining out the coffee grounds, but I’m sure something like this would do a better job.

I didn’t realize that cold-brew coffee was lower in acid. Maybe that’s why, despite many previous failed attempts, I’ve been able to stop taking a PPI this time around (I’ve made it about two weeks, so I think I’ve made it past the difficult period).

3 Likes

Oxo stuff is the best! I have a bunch of their gadgets and am never disappointed. Maybe I’ll look for a kitchen/coffee scale from them ha.

Yeah, the acidic compounds in coffee are less soluble without heat. It does mean you do not get the specific flavor compounds that come with those acids, so some people prefer iced coffee made hot to get a fuller spectrum of flavor (a lot of coffee nerds will suggest Japanese style or flash brewing), but I like the flavor profile of cold brew (though I find some coffee beans work better with it than others), and my stomach definitely likes the lower acid.

3 Likes

Another Oxo convert. Their stuff is very well designed and lasts for years with heavy use at a great price point.

3 Likes

Oxo’s Smooth Edge can opener is brilliant. (Says the person who once went low when the only things around were a can of peaches and a screwdriver.)

5 Likes

Not to be contrarian, but I have never once used a scale to measure anything except my body weight.

When I was first dx, I was shown what a portion size looked like by using my hand; open hand, slice of bread; fist, potato, etc. Then over the years, many of which I looked at the package labels, I began to memorize certain carb counts. almost all slices of commercial bread have between 16 to 20gms of carbs each. 1/2 Cup of brown rice has 23gms. 1/2 lg Haas avocado has 8gms. And so on and so forth. I only mention these foods bc they are staples in my own diet. But when in doubt, I look at the packaging label. If there is no label, for instance when I go out to eat a Japanese dinner of sushi or sashimi, I make my best guesstimate and when I am off, I keep it in mind for the next time. Everything I am unaware of becomes a learning experience. It took me over a year to figure out my burger, bun, fries and guacamole and chips meal. I messed it up so many times. But I was determined and I kept at it, making adjustments, and I finally got the secret bolusing down to a science, and it was well worth the effort!!

4 Likes

HA! Don’t know why, but this is so funny. It’s all relative these days!

2 Likes

Great point and about the only time I’m a stickler when carb counting.

1 Like

I never weigh coffee. Then again I can’t guarantee mine is that good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve done ok without weighing it, but I’m getting to the point where I’m wanting to see if I can replicate some of what the really fancy independent coffee shops do at home (my cold brew is currently as good if not better than theirs, but their hot brewed coffees are still better than mine—mine is good, but theirs can be exceptional). Coffee is one beloved food/drink unaffected by my MCAS sensitivities (real tea is now out for me), so all the more reason to increase my nerdery on that front, combined with the fact that I don’t see myself going into a coffee shop for a pour over anytime soon.

2 Likes

Have a friend that gets green coffee and does his own roasting. Pretty easy to do, and wow, I have had some amazing coffee from his setup. Some have been just ok, but others have been better than anything I have received at a coffee shop i.e. single farm beans.

1 Like

Nice! There are a couple of roasters I’ve found who make product I love (in particular Fazenda that I linked above), so not sure if my pet project will take me that far, but that sounds really cool. I also imagine it would make your home smell amazing.

1 Like

It actually doesn’t smell that great, he does it in the garage. But once the beans have sat in the off-gassing bags for a couple of days the coffee smells amazing.

Ah interesting!

I’ve made cold brew chocolate before, in which I first roasted raw cocoa nibs, then ground them (not in my burr grinder, would have ruined that, but in a regular blade/spice grinder), and then basically did the same process for cold brewing coffee (though added a little cinnamon and I think a dried orange slice or two). Roasting the nibs made the house smell like brownies, which was such a tease. I loved the result (was a dark chocolate flavor, but not sweet except for any sweetness from the plant-based milk I added) and also mixed it with cold brew coffee for an unsweetened mocha, but my partner, who is not a fan of coffee, was underwhelmed (I think she was hoping for more of a hot chocolate/chocolate milk type vibe, which it definitely does not have). Would also be amazing in cocktails.

1 Like