Does a vial of Fiasp really only last 28 days?

Hi all! I have been using MDI to manage my diabetes for about 40 years. Recently my post meal highs have been persisting a bit longer, however, so I was considering trying Fiasp. Got my first vial and saw the claim on the box that it could only be used for 28 days. Is this the experience of other Fiasp users? I typically only use up to 15 units of Humalog/day so a vial can last me for a couple of months without any noticeable decrease in effectiveness. Not looking forward to doubling that med expense. Love to hear others’ experience with this. Thanks for any info you can offer!

2 Likes

Doesn’t your Humalog box also say discard after 28 days? The general experience seems to be that insulin lasts a long, long time past it’s expiration date. I have no personal experience with Fiasp.

2 Likes

Here’s an interesting link that you might find helpful:

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Does a vial of Fiasp really only last 28 days?:

Humalog box might say that, but I’ve no memory of seeing it (perhaps hidden by pharmacy labels) and have been using that med for so long that I don’t recall. In the case of Humalog, though, I know from practice that its active life is much longer. I know that my Levemir Pens state that they can be used up to 42 days and they do begin to fail after that time in my experience. Anyway, I’d love to hear from folks who have used Fiasp as to what it’s actual useful life is for them.

1 Like

I’ve used Fiasp pens that were 3-4 months old since opening (carried with me as my backup insulin…I keep it at room temp). No noticeable drop off in effectiveness. If it did drop off it was pretty subtle.

Have not tried that with Fiasp vials but would expect it to be fine. Just don’t let it cook in the sun or freeze.

3 Likes

Thanks, John. Do you have any experience with reusing needles with Fiasp and whether that seems to have any impact on insulin longevity? With Humalog I’ve been able to use the same needle until the ink markings rub off without any notable change in insulin vial clarity or its’ effectiveness (just an occasional twinge of pain from a dull needle!)

1 Like

I’ve reused pen needles in a pinch, always waste some insulin priming it twice just to make sure it’s not plugged. Does not seem to hurt the insulin absorption. That said, I look at it as another one of my bad habits and when I am in the right attitude I start a fresh needle.

1 Like