Does a BG Roller Coaster Wear you Out?

i am wishing you the best of luck. when i was peri-menopausal my obgyn wanted to put me on birth control pills to level out my estrogen levels; it played terrible havoc with my BGs. i just couldnt take it…so i sweat terribly until menopause passed :wink:

2 Likes

Good luck! I wasn’t nearly aggressive enough ramping up the insulin. Both basal and carb ratios. To the point that I actually need to accurately count carbs rather than estimate 1-4 units because of a 1:15-20 ratio. But from what I’ve read some women’s blood sugars aren’t affected by birth control. And I’m not particularly impacted by week to week hormones. So YDMV! I’ll keep the Lantus dose in mind. My skin is ok I think but its also my butt so I don’t look at it… sometimes there’s a little leakage but I’ve figured out that if I pull the needle out at a different angle than I put it in I don’t notice any leakage.

1 Like

@Jen, I hate that for you. I’ve dealt with racing heartbeat too and that’s pretty unnerving and exhausting. Hope it gets better in a hurry!

My resting heart rate has jumped to 90+ on my fitbit over the past couple of days. If it keeps up, I’m going to make an appointment with my GP. I’ve had this issue on and off for years and it’s really quite annoying.

1 Like

Mine’s also up this month significantly, but not as high as you’re describing. I cut wine out completely this month for good and I don’t know if that would affect it…and it’s been a not stellar month from an injury/car accident/broken appliances/family relations standpoint so maybe that’s contributing for me.

Do you have thyroid problems? I’m on medication for hyperthyroidism (Graves’ disease) and before diagnosis was when my racing heart was at its worse (resting heart rate of over 100), but I’ve had it on and off for years before that, including trips to emergency and an admission to hospital because of it. I was diagnosed with SVT and/or IST years ago, which I’ve read may have an autoimmune cause. But sometimes I also have symptoms of hyperthyroidism, even though tests show my thyroid is in range at time of testing, so I swear that my thyroid seems to spit out extra hormone periodically between tests.

@Jen, I had my endo run a whole slew of labs a few months ago after my last tachycardic event. All of my labs, including thyroid, came back totally normal. I had had wine that evening and a holiday meal (i.e. super high fat)…so who knows. Endo thinks I’m allergic to something in the wine and after it happening more and more (tied to wine), I’m of that guess at this point to. I tried having one glass two weeks ago, and six hours later I woke up with racing heartbeat and tunnel vision (BG was 119) and ended up blacking out as I got up to go to the bathroom to puke. My husband caught me before I hit the floor, thankfully.

So yeah, no more wine for me. Not worth trial and and error any more of figuring out which aspect of it is the problem since my body’s response to it is becoming increasingly dramatic.

My roller coaster since yesterday… 40 to 300 to 40 to 400 to 26 to 300 to 60. I’m tired. Demoralized. Irritated. And I’m getting back in bed.

Yeah that sucks real bad. I hate those days. Hope you feel better soon!

I call those M days b/c my Dexcom graph looks like a bunch of M’s.

1 Like

I had one of those nights as well. It sucks. Just a stressful few days resulting in an inappropriate binge (then treating it totally wrong). I went higher than I’ve been in months :frowning: and didn’t wake up to my alarms. Then I treated it overly-aggressively (I had no idea how much Afrezza to give because I’m never that high) and didn’t wake up until my Dex showed “LOW” (<=40), despite the alarms. At least I didn’t hover in that high range for a long time.

Most of this was just a series of bad decisions that won’t happen another day, but I think not waking up to alarms is a big deal. I’m going to try changing all my alarms tonight to see if the changes might be enough to help me wake up. Not sure how to fix this. I think a signal loss happened as well. Not sure how to fix that either.

It’s sad because the rest of the day was pretty beautiful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just roll with it Nicky. These days suck but it’s best just to look to tomorrow and hope for better numbers. Don’t let it drag you down… Kick “emotions” ass and don’t allow it to beat you.

You got this.

2 Likes

@T1Allison, yikes! All of those symptoms (fast heart rate, passing out, vomiting) can be symptoms of anaphylaxis. It might be worth seeing an allergist to get a diagnosis and treatment plan (such as an epi-pen) for if you accidentally ingest wine, if you are indeed allergic. My heart rate gets really high during severe allergic reactions. Hope you don’t get a reaction like that again, sounds horrible.

1 Like

My wife developed a wine allergy in her 40’s. It was eventually (and unfortunately) diagnosed as an allergy to Yeast. She is allergic to both brewers and bakers yeast. So no wine, beer, bread, etc. No fun. She really misses the great Red wines. She went anaphylactic one night after a really awesome wine we shared. So at least she has good memories of it.

1 Like

I haven’t had any wine since that crazy reaction and I’ve not had any adverse symptoms for three weeks, so I’m inclined to think it’s some kind of allergy like you are describing or alcohol intolerance. Weird thing is, I had had significantly more wine one night a few weeks prior to the fainting episode…but I chased it with 50 ounces of water and I had no weird side effects (rapid heartbeat, nausea) or anything. But one glass with no water afterwards…that was bad news. Pretty sure they were the same kind of wine…both were whites. The embarrassingly cheap stuff.

@Katers87, I hate when I’ve had signal loss overnight. I usually have to turn my phone off and back on to recapture.

If I think I’m going to swing overnight, I’ll set my high or lows to catch it relatively early, and set it to repeat every hour until I wake up to fix it. Each night is different for me and I’m unfortunately really good at silencing alarms in my sleep. Sometimes I push my phone out of reach before bed so that I have to work harder to silence it.

2 Likes

That’s very interesting… I have not been waking up for my alarms for almost the last 4 months. It’s gotten to be a real problem. I end up with long periods of suspend or long periods of lows… stuff I would tend to if I were awake. This morning I woke up to a 26… and felt fine (which, in all honesty, was the bigger concern). I think my pump had been screaming over an hour.

2 Likes

Yikes! 26?! Pre Dexcom those were nights I went into a coma and ended up being treated by the paramedics. Dexcom low alarms have saved me on numerous occasions. What good is the tool if you don’t use it?

1 Like

I’m also quite skilled at this :wink:

This is the worst, and I’m convinced there are many times when I haven’t silenced my alarms but just slept right through their screaming.

I changed my high and urgent low alarms, so hopefully this is problem of the past :smiley: … we’ll see.

2 Likes

Are you talking about my sensor? I don’t have a Dexcom. I have the guardian. And I do have the alerts set, I just sleep through everything. I’m tired. I’m pretty sleep-deprived.

I’m not even silencing anything… I just don’t hear them. I’m going to have to quit crying and just figure something out. This problem is microscopic compared to your wine problem. :confused: