DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

75?!?

That’s a really, really long run for 5k training, no?? You meant that?

The long run puts the tiger in the cat.

2 Likes

Okay. I like how it sounds anyway… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now that’s an excellent idea…

Don’t even know what that is… I’ll ask my endo?

That would be really cool. :hugs:

Unbelievable. 5 hour energy.

:woman_facepalming:

I give up.

@Eric

Can you PLEASE explain this to me? Because if you can’t, no more science experiments for you.

I had JUST posted that pic up there and was already dumbfounded by the lack of spike, and I mean DUMBFOUNDED, when I sat down to eat some eggs. Just eggs. No creamer, no sugar, not breaded or glazed. I eat them every morning. When I looked next?? My Bg has jumped 20 pts… and has since risen to above a 200.

So here’s a poll for you… what the frank just caused that spike 2 HOURS after having a 5 hour energy… the 5 hr energy 2 hours later or the flipping eggs???

• Gross 5 hour energy
  • Eggs
  • Air
  • Stress from doing eric’s experiments

0 voters

We can’t give Samson just scrambled eggs or he’ll spike to 300 – this is just in the morning. I have no idea why. I’m sure others will say it’s the 5-hour energy. And it’s possibly actually some kind of hormone-induced spike?

2 Likes

From eggs?! I don’t even know what to say… I do eat them every morning AND have my coffee. My coffee routine came way before the eggs, and I’ve been seeing this spike since I can remember, but maybe my eggs weren’t so harmless… ??

I have managed to avoid thinking about hormones as a culprit for 15 years… I don’t know why I’m so resistant. I do know why I’m so resistant… because it seems to be another area that requires endless attention and offers few answers. I’d prefer to just get answers. This is a tough disease when that’s what you prefer. :grin:

So on the egg front… would this make sense? I ate the eggs at 9:20ish. I went up and up above 200, taking two correction doses along the way. It’s 1:30 now, and I’m still hanging around 160… no other carbs or coffee or anything. That’s a little severe for eggs, no? You did say a 300 was possible in your case…

Seems like the eggs caused the spike. But for all of these things it is really helpful to do only one thing at a time and try to verify it.

We already know coffee with caffeine causes you a spike. At least, I think we know that. It isn’t just waking up, right? I mean you spike from coffee in the afternoon too, right?

So, how about trying to narrow all of this down, one at a time:

• do you spike from waking up (no coffee, no food)
  • do you spike from decaf coffee (in the afternoon, no food)
  • do you spike from caffeine alone (in the afternoon, no coffee, no food)
  • do you spike from eggs alone (in the afternoon, with no coffee)

These things take time to figure out. Try them one at a time, maybe a few times each to be certain of them.

It may be that you have several things to contend with. Maybe you spike from eggs, coffee, and waking up. But doing them individually is the way to know for sure.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I’ve read that if you eat only protein without any accompanying carbs, your body will process some of the protein in such a way to generate a sugar spike…but if you meet some unknown combination of portions of protein and carbs, then the protein portion won’t be processed that same way that generates a spike. But you’d have to account for the carbs.

I don’t eat eggs solo anymore bc it’s too dicey for me. I pair it w toast or a tortilla to make it more straight forward for me. YDMV.

2 Likes

I have heard others talk about this, but so far, I just didn’t think it to be true for me. I can go almost all day long munching on cheese and turkey and hold steady at an 85. Unless of course I can’t… because there are those days, too, as you know. I honestly didn’t know eggs could do that. But I’m still not sure they did… I had scrambled eggs this morning, but I often have egg salad later in the day, even with a tiny bit of mayo, and it’s no different than cheese and turkey. I’m trying to keep up with everything everyone’s doing around here. It’s all so interesting… and so impressive, and I want to jump in with it all. But, honestly, if protein might do it and then hormones might be in there doing it, whatever it is, and then there’s all of the usual stuff that does it, then WTH? It starts to make me feel like a flat line isn’t an accomplishment but a stroke of luck…

1 Like

for us the scrambled egg spike only happens in the morning, after a night of fasting. The body is hungry and WANTS to fuel itself, so it will use whatever’s available. At least, that’s how I read it.
Low or no-carb dinners work okay, as do low-carb lunches. But Samson needs carbs in the morning after his night of fasting.

2 Likes

And that’s going to be #3278 in my book of things to consider when you’re high but are not sure how you got there…

You are very nice to share this with me. I don’t want it to be the case, but that’s not a good reason not to find out if it is.

I think we know that, too. But I don’t know.

I really don’t think so, but I haven’t had anything right so far, so maybe.

I thought I did, but I’m no longer sure.

I have questions…

I can find this in my logs. I am 98% sure I don’t. And I think I have tested this numerous times while doing auto mode/manual mode tests. Either way, I’ll look.

So just another 5 hour energy then?? I don’t get this one. I didn’t spike from the 5 hour energy this morning until 2 hours after consuming it (which happened to be right after the eggs). So if just caffeine didn’t spike me in the morning, then it’s probably coffee? And I should try this with coffee in the afternoon???

I eat egg salad in the afternoon and evening all of the time and use it as a “free food”. Just confirm? Or do I need to do scrambled eggs??

So at almost 2:00 this afternoon I went out for a walk. My BG was just cruising along at almost 160/170 with little upward swings. 2 times I bolused for a coffee but didn’t get it because my blood sugar didn’t drop the way I wanted it to (so two 1.2 unit corrections). I finally went out for a walk and ended up going 3 miles. I finally got it down to an 85 and have been doing regular boluses since. Is there ANY chance this elevation WAS the 5 hour energy?? I’ll do all of the testing regardless. It’s all in my best interest to understand. I just am having a hard time believing eggs caused a… 5 hour high. I didn’t plan on saying that… it was calculated right before I finished the sentence. :neutral_face:

@Nickyghaleb, how recently have you tested your basal rates? Are you comfortable with your basal accuracy overall?

(I don’t know what to make of the 5 hour energy test. Not all caffeine sources are created equal so it may be best to just test a morning without coffee vs a morning with your regular coffee. I drink coffee every morning…but I can’t figure out how to drink caffeinated tea so I just don’t…decaf Lipton tea for me…and forget Earl Grey for me. Anyway, might be faster to just test coffee vs no coffee. One of my coworkers had a heart attack in his spin class after drinking one of those things…other contributing factors, sure, but still. I look at them suspiciously.)

1 Like

It’s certainly an excellent question, and I don’t know that my answer is good… but I feel like I have enough good days that I just coast that my basal rates must be good. In fact, I feel like everything is usually really good in between periods of eating and exercise. Over night is a straight edge.

Except for when things aren’t.

1 Like

Let’s confirm if it is coffee versus caffeine. There are some compounds in coffee that I think spike certain people.

It may have nothing to do with caffeine. or It might be caffeine. But it’s easy to find out.

A couple trials each of:

• Caffeine without coffee
  • Coffee without caffeine

And do them away from meals and waking up just to take those elements out of the equation.

Regardless of what you find, unless you can get a handle on that spike, at some point I am going to ask you to run a 5k in the morning without coffee. Just sayin’.

1 Like

I just had to pick my heart up off the floor.

Oh, I’m gonna get a handle all right…

1 Like

When are you getting your treadmill?

1 Like

I HAVE the treadmill. I’m waiting on the replacement piece for the thing that was broken. Hopefully tomorrow but no later than Wednesday. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like