DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

Got it. Thank you. :slight_smile:

So glad you got your treadmill. Congrats. Lots of fun stuff coming up with it!

I saw your post late last night and didn’t understand some of it. I do not know what a 180 is.

Yes, 7:30 pace is the same as 8.0 mph.

Here is a chart for reference.

Speed: Pace:
Mph Min Sec
6.0 10 : 00.0
6.1 9 : 50.2
6.2 9 : 40.6
6.3 9 : 31.4
6.4 9 : 22.5
6.5 9 : 13.8
6.6 9 : 05.5
6.7 8 : 57.3
6.8 8 : 49.4
6.9 8 : 41.7
7.0 8 : 34.3
7.1 8 : 27.0
7.2 8 : 20.0
7.3 8 : 13.2
7.4 8 : 06.5
7.5 8 : 0.0
7.6 7 : 53.7
7.7 7 : 47.5
7.8 7 : 41.5
7.9 7 : 35.7
8.0 7 : 30.0
8.1 7 : 24.4
8.2 7 : 19.0
8.3 7 : 13.7
8.4 7 : 08.6
8.5 7 : 03.5
8.6 6 : 58.6

As far as why it is easier.

• It is possible your treadmill speed is off. We can go through calibration.
  • Additionally, you do not have wind resistance, which is an extremely small factor in speeds less than 10 MPH, but it is a factor none-the-less.
  • When you are on a treadmill, you do not need to think about pacing, the treadmill does it for you, so mentally it is easier.
  • On the treadmill, you have better posture. You stand taller and your hips can do more of the work and your eyes do not need to look at the road.
  • And there is no issue with changing surface - cracks, rocks, cars, slants.
  • You are in a climate controlled environment, which is a big factor

All of that makes no difference for your work if you go by RPE. Don’t worry about anything but RPE. If the 7:30 splits were too easy, we can bump them up. We will do that for the week after this coming week.

For warmups and cooldown…
The idea is just that you don’t want to start with your muscles cold and resting and go immediately into hard segments. Or come straight from hard segment and quit. Warmup before is just to get your muscles loose and warmed up. Cooldown is just to gradually relax your heart rate and muscles. Pace is not important, it’s just movement of your muscles.

Pace does not matter, just make it easy and comfortable.

The cooldown is not supposed to be work! Don’t think, “That workout was too easy, I need to push this cooldown harder…” The hard work is in the segments, not the cooldown. If your RPE was too easy, adjust the splits next time.

If you want to go a little longer on cooldown, that is fine. But do not cannibalize the next days, okay? Just go with what feels like relaxing, and letting your muscles cooldown instead of staying fired up and cranky and wanting to run hard. If you leave a workout a bit hungry for more, that’s fine. Channel it for Thursday. I want you coming back for more.

A bit scattered with subjects. Did I cover everything, or is something missing?

BTW, if your NordicTrack is iFit compatible, you can get some stuff that lets you program those intervals and you don’t have to do any button pushing once you start. That makes it very easy. All you need is WiFi and an iFit module that plugs in, and an iFit account.

1 Like

Finally a comment length worthy of some respect. I’ll get back to you tomorrow when I’m done reading it. :grin:

Off to the doc now. It’s never less than an hour and a half waiting room visit. That should give me enough time to respond…

Rag me all you want DN, but remember, Tuesday’s and Thursday’s belong to me…
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I saw it, too, and didn’t understand it. I made it disappear. Some people sleepwalk. It’s scary, but I sleeppost.

That is awesome. Thank you for not making me do the math for each workout… or ask. I’m gonna try to remember this kindness the next time you harass me. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

That would suck. Unless it turned out to be reflecting way slower speeds. Because I did feel like Flo Jo.

People go OVER speeds of 10 mph? I accidentally hit “9” and almost hit the back wall.

This is what I think it might be. I have a really hard time with pace. That’s what I thought yesterday that it was just easier getting locked in and going. Unless it turns out my machine just needs to be calibrated. That would be disappointing.

Take your time.

You’re in my head. What are you doing inside me head?

It is. You make it sound very easy. I am very technologically challenged and needed assistance turning the thing on yesterday. So I’ll do my best to figure it out— that does sound nice.

That was an abrupt ending to an 8 page response cuz doc is here.

You invited me in, when you accepted the training initiative.

You will need to call them and order it. It’s about $150 per year or something like that, and it includes the module. The only thing you need is WiFi in your house so the treadmill can download the workouts you create.

You can walk through the module setup with their tech support, and then I can help you create workouts if you need help. After a few times it will be very easy.

What about cottage cheese? Eric really likes that as a breakfast, and I feel like you could eat that and run and it wouldn’t be a disaster. I will say, we just had a huge spike from a different brand of cottage cheese because we were out of town and I couldn’t find our normal brand. So your mileage may vary from cottage cheese to cottage cheese. Hell maybe you hate cottage cheese? You can also add jam! Yum, I love jam.

It has a small amount of carbs, so it can help a little bit.

But the things to consider for pre-run meals is how well it sits in your stomach when you are working hard, how long it takes to process, and how many carbs you get from it.

The fat can delay the carb availability, so it also depends on how predictable it is and how long you are planning to exercise.

1 Like

So are you thinking straight carbs, like a peach or six? Or cherries or something? (Yum! Peaches! Summer is rad!)

1 Like

It depends on how many carbs you have currently being processed, what your BG is, how fast it is changing the intensity and duration of the run you are going on, etc…

A peach might be fine. Or it might spike you.

In general I like a little more complexity in the carbs before starting, or a mix of complex and simple, so that you have something that lasts a while.

1 Like

I’m glad the cottage cheese and jelly was a no-go. I threw up in my mouth a little bit at the “jelly” part. :grin: now peaches I can do. Cherries, no. But I’ve just gotten on board with a banana so I’m taking baby steps.

My mom used to make me cottage cheese and jelly sandwiches… and peanut butter and sliced banana. I must have stricken them from memory. Why this conversation would make me want to make one of these sandwiches for my own kids is just weird…:thinking:

1 Like

Like a banana… you better say, “like a banana” now… right??? Cuz I’m just now getting into that…

By the way, I have 86 things to report. I’m having lunch and feeding kids and will be back around for a blow-by-blow. :grin:

But without enjoying a cup of coffee… had a heart to heart with my cardiologist yesterday, no pun intended, and my sweet, beloved coffee is up for examination. :cry:

Okay… I’d love to give you a big long rundown, but there is just too much to get done around here. So the abbreviated version… as much as is possible.

1. Went to the cardiologist yesterday. Very sad day. He said “of course I’ll clear you for your 5k training”, and then went on to talk about my coffee. Bottom line is my heart rate is a little too high to continue to ignore, concern over muscle wall, so i either need to cut back on coffee or start medication. I’m a big girl. I’ll cut back. :sob:
  2. Doc also said “absolutely” to your question about my high HR during exercise. About target heart rate, he won’t bother with one right now. Need to cut back coffee see what happens. Said i would definitely experience… your word… hypohypernucleicglycogensis… at an earlier time. I know that’s not the word, but hopefully you’ll remember the word. For this reason, he would not clear me for professional training. But that’s not what I’m doing, and he’s not concerned. I also have to come back in for a nuclear stress test, scheduled August… soon.
  3. Today’s run was great. My blood sugar was a 165 when I started and a 180 when I finished. :confused: But I ran my three things between 8 and 8.1. Recoveries were at about 9 minute-ish pace. And a 1 mile cool down. RPE—7 for the first 2 and 8 for the last.

Felt great running, but my right hip is, at this moment, completely locked up. Any ideas what to do with it right now? It felt great running— want you to know that. I just need some kind of relief for now…

Anything else?

I said JAM! It’s NOT the same as jelly!!! :rofl: :relaxed:

1 Like

I heard jelly.

:thinking:

If you were some random person or family member my* RX would be a bath with Epsom Salts and arnica cream. I love that stuff. Works a charm for muscle issues. I give it away to random people all the time!

*I’m not a doctor but I do really love arnica! Get the cream over the gel.

Might not help! But probably won’t hurt!

1 Like

I’ll take what i can get. Thank you. :hugs:

By the way, i changed your “jam” to “jelly” in the other thread. I was trying Jedi mind tricks to see if there’s anything to them. And there is.

1 Like