DM Struggles

, this term, “3c” is new for me. I had to look it up. I’m a LADA and am loosely diagnosed as a Type 1.5. I’m 52 and learned my panc doesn’t produce any insulin. I’ve gone through many different types of insulin but am currently on Afrezza (inhaled). Even though I’m struggling greatly with my numbers and management as a whole, Afrezza is much safer than my previous short-acting insulin (Humalog).

Which brings me to my question about 3c…

My endo is a little confused on why I struggle so much with my management as the majority of his patients do exceptionally well on Afrezza. Now I’m starting to wonder if my digestive system is subpar. Possible gastroparesis?? I have noticed that the timing of when I take my meal insulin seems to play a huge role in getting the right number. But it’s always a moving target due to what food I’m eating. I’ve also been under enormous stress. Funny side note…my divorce was final in June 2015. One month later I was diagnosed with DM. So the stresses of being a single mom, dealing w my narcissistic ex, ailing parents and working 2 jobs definitely own part of my DM management. I also love wine. Always have. I am a HUGE cook and love the art of pairing wine with food. While I cook very healthy and watch my carbs, am not a sugar junkie and love my veggies, it would crush me if I were to have to give up my love of wine. Managing DM doesn’t seem to be all black and white so I’m hoping to find what my body needs to get DM under control.

I would very much appreciate anyone sharing their thoughts about my struggles. If anything, to help me feel not alone and like a DM flunkie. The highest my a1c has ever gotten after starting treatment is 8.1. Not the worst but want it better and want to be a healthier person and mom to my son.

1 Like

Hi @sturonasbrown
Are you using any basal insulin? And for meals, are you using anything other than Afrezza?

Afrezza is great for quick delivery, but it does not last very long. So for certain meals where the carbs are delayed, it might be good to pair it up with an injected insulin.

What is your BG like when you are not eating. Like at night or when you first wake up?

3 Likes

Hi @sturonasbrown ,
My heart goes out to you. That is a lot to go through. I love your spirit of wanting to be the healthiest you can be. My experience is that diabetes is a marathon with some potholes along the way yet celebrations of the wins on purpose are helpful. Having people who get it is priceless I have found. I was diagnosed at 39 years old as type 1 & was placed on Lantus & Novo rapid insulin shots. I did that for a year & for me I had to live like a robot but everyone has a different experience. I have e sons & our youngest was a baby when I was diagnosed. We are the sandwich generation with kids to raise & ageing parents to assist as well. And you have gone through more on top of this. You deserve a lot of credit. My experience was that going on an insulin pump was a game changer together with dexcom. It gave me the tools to live life on my terms …not perfectly but a lot more good days than bad. Also I read as many type 1 books as I could get my hands on. Every person’s experience is unique so I am just sharing what works for me. And having others that get the struggles & celebrate the wins is the best! I am cheering for you.

3 Likes

Welcome to FUD! Glad you found us!

3 Likes

Welcome @Saundie, thanks for sharing. Look forward to hearing more about your experiences.

2 Likes