DKA with NO lack of insulin

This is so scary. Another reason I’m wary of SGLT2 inhibitors for T1s. I know that they can have a dramatic effect, and there are some studies showing an improvement in heart disease risk factors with them. But for T1s the risk just seems very high.

1 Like

Thanks! Wow, that is expensive but I guess they are only used when not feeling well. I will look for this one at the pharmacy. I think @Jen said she uses this one as well. I already use Abbot’s Freestyle Lite BG meter and really like it.

2 Likes

Yes, I use the Precision Neo and before that used the Precision Xtra. I think I did read somewhere that the Precision Neo in the US does not allow ketone testing, so in that case, the Precision Xtra may be the meter you’d need to use with the ketone strips.

I don’t use the ketone strips often, but they do come in handy a few times a year. For example, on Saturday morning at 3:30 AM my pump got a random occlusion and I slept through the alarms for hours. In the morning my blood sugar was 18 mmol/L and ketones were 0.8 mmol/L (I don’t eat low carb, so that is high), so I did an injection and changed the set out. I know some people would have just changed the set out anyway, but I use steel sets, so if ketones had been normal, I would have kept the site in and seen if the occlusion resolved. Ketones being high also prompted me to correct with more insulin than I otherwise would have, as highs often take more insulin to bring down with ketones than without.

1 Like

Thanks, Jen! Yes, I checked online and I didn’t see any mention of ketone testing by the Precision Neo. I think you are right, Precision Xtra is the one here in the US.

Wow, yes, 18 mmol/L is very high. I don’t often go high like that but failing equipment can do it for me, too! Also, any illness!

1 Like

Thanks, @Trying. It doesn’t take too much going wrong for me to hit that type of high, and I feel lucky that four hours without insulin didn’t result in me being significantly higher (but I was low before my pump occluded, so that probably helped). Today I’ve been running low all day regardless of what I eat, even eating food without bolusing. But this afternoon the combination of eating some apples and peanut butter without a bolus and setting a temporary basal rate of -40% resulted in my blood sugar being 17.5 mmol/L. This time I’m sure I don’t have ketones, because it’s all due to human error, but I’ll try to do an IM injection to bring it down.

2 Likes

I had that (lows) yesterday, but today is the opposite, trending high, lol. It all seems to depend on my exercise/activity level. Yesterday, ran, house work, etc., all day active; today I was at the computer all day.

Well, human error is part of the inevitable experience with D :unamused: I tend to blame myself for the device failures, too, since I know it is also inevitable that they also fail, and I should be ready to any handle human OR device failure! Every 10 days on sensor change it seems my TIR shoots down, despite knowing ahead of time to be prepared! I’m beginning to think I jeopardize myself, or it is just an excuse to have a bad day!

I love apples and peanut butter! A delicious snack but yes, normally will need a bolus! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes