Difficulty calibrating my dexcom

@Beacher I had the same problem with my old G4 receiver that you are describing.

My understanding is that the G4 calibration algorithm was changed at some point and this was improved. I expect that I had the old G4 before the algorithm was changed.

@Beacher Why do you assume the finger stick is correct and the Dexcom is wrong? I don’t see you complaining about your meter.

That’s interesting. I bought my receiver last April, but who knows how long it was sitting around in a warehouse. Dexcom sent me a replacement receiver, but I haven’t used it yet. As soon as I spoke with Dexcom, my old receiver started behaving, as if it knew its life was on the line. In the past week or so it has gone back to being 1 or even 2 mmol off, but I’m into my fifth week with this sensor, and I’m periodically taking Tylenol for a cold, so who knows what’s responsible.

I test with my PDM whenever blood is taken for a random glucose, and the numbers are nearly identical. But I do ask myself this a lot. I keep meaning to try bolusing from the Dexcom’s numbers and see what happens.

I don’t understand this question. As I have learned (maybe I just learned incorrectly) the blood at the top of the fingers is the most accurate representation of the blood glucose level. Why would one bit trust finger sticks above CGM data?

For us the CGM and the meter are close enough. We dose from CGM all the time. It works +/- the normal variations.

With that said, we still average probably 4 sticks a day to double check or verify something or other, even though we rarely calibrate, like maybe once every three days.

2 Likes

We could never dose from the cgm right now. It’s wildly off and my long standing understanding is that the is no better reading than the fingerstick.

Actually, I don’t necessarily “trust” either one. Both the Dexcom and Bg meters have inaccuracy compared to the reality of plasma glucose level. Getting too hung up on the “number” will only make one neurotic. The trend line (not the trend arrows) gives me the most valuable information, along with how I feel.

2 Likes

That makes no sense at all to me. If Liams receiver reads 110 and I do double finger sticks and they come back as 45 and 47, you’re saying you wouldn’t trust that? The purpose of double fingersticks is to ensure the first one (if it’s an extreme high or low) wasn’t just a bad reading.

There is no “trend” to look at when checking for a low. If Liam tells me… Papa, I feel low and his receiver reads 110 but I do double finger sticks and get a 45 and a 47 from these… There is no dispute as to which is accurate and which isn’t.

As a parent of a toddler we have to be somewhat “neurotic” so that we don’t kill our children. Better to be safe than sorry.

I think maybe there are different rules and standards for those who self manage (and know how their own bodies feel) versus those who manage others… Especially kids who can’t express how their body feels that well.

4 Likes

Absolutely the truth.

5 Likes

I’m struggling with alarm fatigue right now so I’m on strike. Urgent low alarm only for a while. I look at it regularly but I’m sick of alarms. I don’t even pay attention to them anymore, so I just have to turn them all off for a while.

I put in a new sensor on Friday, calibrated it once on Sunday (it was spot on) and haven’t calibrated since (approaching 48 hours) I’ll let you know how if its still on track without all those calibrations it asks for. Fingersticks so far show its fine (they haven’t been at good times to calibrate so I haven’t).

4 Likes

@CarolynA, we often do the same. i.e. only use the low alarm. We also only calibrate on average once every three days, and everything works swimmingly. Unlike most, our CGM track is almost always right on.

1 Like

Me too as in I rarely calibrate - If I have a flat line on the CGM, my meter and CGM are very close. Calibrating seems to introduce more risk than reward. Usually if the meter is off from the CGM, my BG is going to change soon on the CGM.

I do check with the finger stick a couple of times a day to make sure that the CGM is not off and when I feel low/high, I will confirm with the finger stick. Usually the CGM will catch-up and I will see the low/high in about 15 minutes.

Yup.

5 Likes

Went about 4 days before calibrating today and it was within 10. So at least for me, no need to find a calibration time often at all.

2 Likes

This is similar to my experiences with Dexcom.

1 Like