Diagnosed 3 weeks ago can't see doctor/educator and lost

Unfortunately my insurance doesn’t cover those services and is pretty limited to the area.

They do cover telehelth with local probiders but even they are booked up until november or so. The earliest i can get to see anyone is the date I was given. I’ve called several times and tried to see about getting some kind of info but the same answers are given.

Thanks for the suggestions though, if I had the money for that kind of service I would probably give it a shot.

2 Likes

How has your management been the last couple of days? The 19th is just around the corner, and hopefully things will progress more rapidly after that.

3 Likes

Hey, wow thanks for checking in on me, it means a lot.
Here is my graph from the health app.
One is since I started logging and the second is just this week. It seems ok? I am not sure what I am really looking for and I haven’t had any crazy spikes. A few low-ish episodes but nothing major. Starting to experiment with random food and so far nothing has really caused a huge spike, I tried a fried chicken breast last night (not a lot of options where I was) and it obviously isn’t good for me but it didn’t end up spiking my BG more than anything else recently.

I assume these numbers are better? Again just guessing and going off advice here.

3 Likes

Yes, the second week is looking good. I am assuming this is more than just two measurements each day, if so that is honestly really really good. It might also mean that you can eat a good amount of carbs without issue which would be nice. Restrictions are never fun, even ones that ultimately make you healthier.

3 Likes

Yeah i average about 3 a day depending. Some 5 or 6 if i feel like im dropping low.

I have been trying to guess what my readings are before I do them, to see how my feelings are vs the number like “I feel like I am around 100” and noting that so I can get an idea of how each number range feels.

Ive cut back immensely on carbs beyond breakfast. But it seems like if I moderate portions (like the one chicken breast instead of 3 pieces+potatoes) I can have a decent variety.

We will see where it goes.

4 Likes

It sounds like you’ve made lots of progress in just 3 days. Wait until you’ve been doing this for months and years. You’ll be the master of this.

4 Likes

Johner, first, hang in there. The learning curve is enormous. I’ve been T1 for over 55 years, since I was eleven, and I’m still learning about myself, about the equipment, always adjusting. It’s the nature of diabetes, no matter whether you’re T1 or T2.

Second, I highly doubt you’re T1 based on the fact that through diet you have brought your blood glucose back close to normal. If I am without insulin for as little as 45 minutes, my blood glucose starts to go off the chart. For instance, I have worn and insulin pump for over twenty years and, recently, when I went to insert a new cannula, the part of the pump that goes into your body and stays there to deliver the insulin, like a teensy hose, it was not inserted correctly and, within an hour, my blood glucose went from 107 to over 200. It took me about five hours to realize the problem was that the cannula was OUTSIDE my body. By that time, my blood glucose was hitting close to the 400 range and that was without eating anything. There’s no way I could live without insulin. I’d be in a diabetic coma in less than a day without insulin, probably. Of course, only a C-peptide test will tell you for sure. (A silly fact about going on Medicare is that it requires every diabetic to have a C-peptide test before covering diabetes-related charges. Crazy for people like me who’ve been diabetic for most of my life. Taxpayers are footing this ridiculous policy. Anyway . . . .)

Third, I understand your fear of undoing all the good work by going off the diet you’ve constructed for yourself. But I encourage you to try some of the ideas others have suggested. It’s the only way you learn how your body will react. What might work for me might not work for you. For instance, another online diabetes support website and newsletter has a columnist who suggests people eat lots of nuts for snacks. But for me, too many nuts causes my blood glucose to rise because fats interfere with my body’s ability to absorb insulin. So, what works for that guy would not work for me. Another example of learning as you go what works for you: I am fine with apricot or strawberry jam–all fruit, of course, but blueberry causes a much higher rise in my blood glucose. If you go slow and record your body’s reaction, you will learn what happens. There really is no other way.

One other piece of advice: read the labels on food and measure. Even after all these decades as T1, I still use a scale to weigh my food when I’m at home. When I’m out, I can pretty much guesstimate fairly accurately what I’m eating using some of the tools dietitians will give you, i.e. the palm of your hand is about 3 oz. of protein, your thumb is about the size of a tablespoon. Try to be very careful because, as you’re finding out, you get very invested in trying to maintain blood glucose. But, again, you have to try, you have to experiment. Otherwise, what qualify of life will you have? I hear that’s your frustration, besides with the poor quality of care the PCP has provided.

Finally, I too urge you to find a good endocrinologist. A diabetologist is best. I know you have to wait until you get a referral from your PCP, but, another thing you’ll learn, you have to be your own advocate. it may be in the PCP’s best interest to keep you as a patient, but that doesn’t mean that’s best for you.

Hang in there. Just like life in general, diabetes is a journey.

6 Likes

With adult onset type 1, during the honeymoon period there still is some insulin production. By severely restricting carb intake it’s possible to reduce the need for insulin by about half, so the remaining beta cells can sort of keep up. Lots of adult onset type 1’s are initially misdiagnosed as type 2, and the type 2 treatment can appear to work for a while. But the autoimmune destruction of the beta cells continues, and after the patient has been blamed for a while, the need for insulin finally becomes clear.

So I wouldn’t discount the possibility of type 1. Adult-onset type 1 / LADA is discussed further in the ADA Standards of Care for diabetes, in section 2.

The full Standards of Care is available at https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/44/Supplement_1/S15

7 Likes

Agreed. If his pancreas is still producing insulin it’s definitely possible to have great control, and even go low with very little outside help.

Welcome @johner, to the club that no one requested membership into! Glad to have you with us.

4 Likes

Great First Post @Denise0730, Welcome to FUD!

5 Likes

I fully agree with Chris, and apologize for coming across a bit harsh in my reply. I am a type 1 who was initially misdiagnosed as type 2, and so I’m maybe oversensitive to that issue.

7 Likes

@Johner - I just wanted to pick up on something @Chris said in one of his early replies. You should get on a CGM. Doctors can put you on a trial 2 week period, which will give you (and them) invaluable information. Then ask to be referred to an Endocrinologist. That’s where you really need to be seen.

4 Likes

Thanks, I will ask my dr about that when I see her on the 19th but from conversations with my insurance they may not cover it without proving that the current testing is not working after X months or the doctor sees an immediate need.

As for the Endocrinologist, that is another thing that will be discussed, and the nurses that I spoke with immediately after being diagnosed said they cannot schedule any further diabetes related appointments until I see the dr and educator and they are scheduling out into Winter/early next year at this point. So…yeah.

I feel a CGM would be great for my anxiety as I can get a more granular reading and its less invasive at work. (getting away to test is hard to do when I am the only one working)

2 Likes

Regarding the C-Peptide that is something I plan to discuss with my doctor, but it also is an insurance question too.

I am getting more comfortable experimenting, and I might get daring and play with it more, just to get a feeling of what happens when I eat (Food X).

I definitely am eating far more protein than recommended to remain full but that is something I have to work on with a dietitian, to find ways to get more veggies in my diet to balance things out.

Honestly maybe its because of the Metformin or its a honeymoon period with the meds, but nothing that I’ve eaten has seemed to really spike my blood sugar.
Admittedly I have been avoiding any dramatically high carb foods and watching portions of food that does contain excess sugar or carbs such as sticking to 3/4 or 1 cup of chickpea or whole wheat pasta, I had a double burger king burger with mustard pickles and only ate the bottom bun and my BG didn’t go up more than the usual 20 or so points like most meals. stuff like that.
I haven’t had a donut or sugared soda, more than a 1/4 serving of crackers, or any rice or anything. The closest thing I eat to high carb food is my breakfast of 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup strawberries 1/3 or 1/2 cup blueberries. That usually puts me about 30-40 points above my waking BG reading after 2hrs. Even then it drops down pretty gradually it seems.

I might try those jams, I just don’t know what I’d have them on as I haven’t been eating bread much lately. I used to eat jam all the time on sandwiches (no peanut butter due to mild peanut allergy) but again cut all excess intake of carbs/sugar once i was diagnosed.

3 Likes

Hi there! Yes, welcome to the club nobody wants to be in! 54 years Type I for me, dx at 11. No major complications, yay! But many many ups and downs thru the years. Your medical care is certainly inadequate. But the diabetes educator should be great for you. If you state your city, someone may be able to recommend a good endocrinologist. It seems like many Docs think, “Oh, Type 2, that’s easy, sure! We can handle it here.” No. You need an endo and a team. Another problem w docs is them yelling at you, guilt tripping you. Your BG can go low or high due to stress, illness, etc., and sometimes there’s no explanation! Type 2 folks also get fat shamed and “lazy shamed” BIGTIME. Yeah, ya gotta do this and ya gotta do that. It’s hard, very hard. Diabetes is a disease of control, you or it. Every damn day you fight. You work numbers and you look at labels and you (try to) count carbs and you test before you drive, before/after bed, meals, exercise. You can’t leave the house without packing up ALL your stuff. It really makes me want to rebel, but I also know how I’d feel. Good luck! Again, welcome, having a support group is essential!

9 Likes

@Johner Know that @Chris has good recommendations and knowledge, so listen to him. My Recs:

1. Eyes will definitely keep varying until your BG settles down to a reasonable range. What’s reasonable? Whatever you make it; sorry that’s cryptic, but it’s up to you and how diabetes affects you. Any excursion for a significant period of days/weeks will impact it. I was dx’d lat Nov; I’ve been through three prescriptions and am now just settling down to regular “range”.
  2. Listen to the doc, but be your own advocate; some docs are “old school” or VERY conservative, some stay tuned in and operate on the “bleeding edge” of treatment. You need to figure out what you want/are comfortable with and find a doc that fits your perspective. Some areas are blessed with “team” approach docs, some only have the institutional desperate parts that you have to find the doc, a CDE, or NP that will work with you.
  3. Given your age and onset and the fact the first step was to put you on Metformin only, I recommend you ask for c-peptide (ala MM2 comment) GAD antibody test to determine T1 or T2. The treatments available are different based on type. Sounds like you may have been determined as T2, but maybe a T1 LADA. If T1, you probably need insulin treatment and may qualify for current treatment to delay full T1 impacts a couple of years.
  4. This all takes time to learn, understand, and sort your way through. FUD is a good group of people to ask any questions you have, take it all in but your in the driver’s seat.
    Some good sources of info, from my perspective: FUD, TCOYD, Juicebox, and Waltzing the Dragon. Just google them, see what works for you and ask questions whenever you have them.
6 Likes

Hope Blunders! The medical community (not even an endo) didn’t know if you were T1 or T2, but dx’d you with a T2 med?!!! Awful advice. It should start with an A1C, for goodness sake at least to see a pattern. Sorry I haven’t read all previous posts; just your first one. I then saw your blood glucose numbers after the medo-whatever started declining indicating you’re T2, but that you’re still experiencing eye problems. UGH!!!

At least you’re here and can start to get to a resolution. So much to learn and it sure doesn’t help that you have no immediate health support other than from us here. so Sorry.

I can’t guide you too much as I’m T1 (as an auto-immune when pregnant at age 32), but this is true for both types: getting good control which must be monitored by your doctor with A1Cs, regular daily testing, and a continuous glucose monitoring system (hopefully you insurance covers it), establishing correct medication and dosages, diet, exercise, and stress levels. I’ll be following to see how you’re doing and wish you all the best.

About the diet: everything – including nuts/protein turns into a carbohydrate. Some (fats, protein) just takes longer to get to your liver. It’s all about finding a good balance, especially when everything is new.

4 Likes

Ask your doctor to write a prescription for an Abbott FreeStyle Libre 14-day (cash purchase). You can get a 14-day free trial and they are not that expensive so paying for it yourself is possible. I have one as a backup for my Dexcom G6 / t:slim x2 pump.

6 Likes

i agree with bsmorgan on the libre2, however, for a newly diagnosed type2, its way to early to even start thinking about “paying cash” for anything. most insurance companies have learned from the rainmaker that deny, deny, deny isn’t a model for sucess especially with social media, internet, etc. the c peptide is a good idea and will probably be covered since you are a relatively new diagnosis… its usually under $50 and the a1c is usually covered or under $20 depending on your insurance plans. ive personally been a type1 for about 40 years, diagnosed at 8, but i have a coworker who’s a type2 and had a lot if good luck with trulicity after metformin gave him constant #3 or #4 with our bathrooms maybe 125 yards away. he also has a libre and every now and then if he doesn’t eat what he normally eats he will experience hypoglycemia, where the libre2 will be crucial… since your dr seems to be difficult to get a hold of, i recommend calling your insurance and have them send over prior authorization forms to your drs office and pharmacy for the libre2 and find out which company they prefer as far as ozempic, trulicity, etc… many type 2 treatments are similar, but most insurance companies will have a preference… good luck and welcome to a life of insurance shenanigans

2 Likes

Update:
Well today was my appointment with my doctor but I went to the wrong clinic and when I realized it I tried to call the right one and was on hold for over 10 minutes as I drove through traffic. I of course was late and my appointment was canceled. They rescheduled it for October 27, and i am on a cancellation notification list.
I asked if I could at least speak to the nurse about what I should be doing and how to proceed. I was told I can talk to my doctor at my appointment, but the nurse can answer any emergent issues that may come up.

So yeah, there we are.

Cool. Beyond frustrated, and while I understand I made a mistake with going to the wrong clinic, I feel like I’ve waited far too long to see or talk to ANYONE from the clinic or hospital about this. I asked if there was anyone else available and the receptionist said that they don’t have anyone taking new patients until november.

I guess this is just a rant.

Thanks for all the helpful input everyone has given so far, I wouldn’t have been able to manage the last few weeks without it.

5 Likes