Diabetic vs Person with Diabetes -- what's in a name?

Yeah, perhaps I should have mentioned that in my post.

My 13 yo son is an academic Catholic who is very athletic and happens to be diabetic!

3 Likes

I’m going to call myself type 42. If you get it, you get it.
My husband has had kids in class that identify as cats.
So, identify as whatever. And call me whatever. I’m sure I’ve been called worse.

I say “I am diabetic.” Not a noun. Not what defines me. Just happens to be there.

5 Likes

I agree with that sentiment and call myself a diabetic, but can also appreciate the other side: It is rude to use language that will hurt the feelings of someone else. It seems selfish and almost belligerent to say “That person is a [some bad word] and if that hurts their feelings, it’s their problem and no concern of mine.” So let’s say that the language policing of others is a rude action, yet as speakers we have a mild obligation to think about not only what we say, but also how we say it.

7 Likes

That’s a good distinction. I had not though of it like that!

If you say “I am a diabetic”, then it’s a noun. But if you leave the “a” out and just say “I am diabetic” then it does sound different to me.

I like your way better.

I know it’s minor, but kind of like if you say “She is a blonde” that sounds different than saying “She is blonde.”

8 Likes

42 is the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything…

6 Likes

I think I mostly agree with that. When referring to others, I think we should be polite and refrain from using terms that offend them, within reasonable limits. However, when referring to yourself, like the example from the Boston Globe article, I think it’s mostly the other person’s problem when they take issue with your terminology.

3 Likes

What is the secret to “42”? I think I must be missing something!?? Please someone enlighten me!

2 Likes
4 Likes

Haha, thank you!!!

4 Likes

Sorry, @Trying, as a Douglas Adams fan, I try to use “42” references as often as possible.

7 Likes

Related to this discussion, I always correct the Dexcom support person when I call them to get a sensor replaced.

After you give them your name and date-of-birth, sometimes they ask, “Are you the patient?”

I always say, “No, I’m just the person who is using the Dexcom…”

I mean, to a doctor, yes I am a patient. But to a Dexcom support rep, I am not a patient. I am just a user.

I know that’s silly, but that’s just me. :joy:

Wondering if anyone else thinks the same way when they are asked if they are the patient?!?

9 Likes

I understand now, and it is very interesting!!

3 Likes

My son who is majoring in physics has a favorite coffee mug with this on it

5 Likes

Thank you for bringing this up! Yes, I think the same way. I look at myself as the user of the Dexcom software and device, just like a user of any other app. I don’t feel like a patient unless I’m in the hospital!

2 Likes

Very impressive!! Great emblem on his mug! Very appropriate! Maybe a mathematician as a minor to physics!

4 Likes

@ClaudnDaye In junior high, I briefly attended a gifted school. Imagine my delight to see students with towels hanging out of their pockets!

3 Likes

Well I am a patient chopping chomping at the bit to be discharged tomorrow.

9 Likes