Diabetes management for kindergarten

Aww, thank you so much!

My daughter just started kindergarten. She loves it but It has been very difficult on me with the school. We recently set up a 504 plan (we will see if that helps). Maybe you could ask for one as well?

1 Like

I can send you a box of real pods if you want. And a PDM.
:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Thank you so much Eric. I would hate to take them from you The thing is Iā€™m not sure she will even let me put one on her? I figured if I could get one, show her it, then maybe the idea of the pump wouldnā€™t be so overwhelming. Dont you need them?

This is NOT their decision to make. By Law.

This is a good place to start. Educate yourself on what rights the laws protect your child. Take power and control back.

What I meant is my daughter probally wont let me put the pump on her( not the school)
But I do agree totally about educating myself. I didnt even think that the school would get all weird on me. Shes been home with me all this time, so I take care of her diabetes all day long. Even the nurse made a.comment to me that if they dont follow the doctors orders exactly then the doctors will blame the school. I explained that at home her treatment changes all the time. My daughters endo warned me about this with schools. Apparantly this is a common problem. Sometimes I think about homeschooling.

1 Like

Yes, the Endo adds ā€œPer Parentā€ on the DMMP and that means you can (and will) change things as often as YOU deem necessary and the school has one option - accept YOUR changes and have ZERO opinions about your changes.

My wife is a school teacher and has worked for several school districts. The inconvenient truth is that nobody cares for the well-being of your child like you do. There are too many incidents of students just given excess carbs to cover their own assā€“or teachers simply not understanding the needs of the child (even with a proper 504)ā€“or simply isolating the child from their peers when snacks are involved. Long story short, she now teaches online so she can homeschool our child as well. Maybe when technology is good enough to eliminate the need for others to intervene or when our child is old enough to do it himself, well re-evaluate.

4 Likes

I have all kinds of D stuff. Itā€™s not a worry for me. If you think it would help, Iā€™d gladly send you some to try.

1 Like

Thank you so much for being so kind Eric. I called Insulet ( thanks for telling me about this allison) and they are going to send me a one to try out. Hopefully once she see that itā€™s not so scary looking she will let me try one out on her.

3 Likes

@Nreid77 Good Luck, I hope it goes well, please reach out if you need any help or advice. I am optimistic that getting omnipod up and running would be good for you both.

Itā€™s really sad that almost everyone who works under doctors in healthcare is so ill-informed that they regard the doctor as the final authority. For that matter, a lot doctors think that they have the final say. Itā€™s unfortunate that people arenā€™t taught, or havenā€™t learned themselves, that a doctors only job is to make recommendations. The final say is the patients.

3 Likes

Thank you so much!!!

When do you keep your kids home from school for illnesses? If their blood sugar is high all day from a cough or cold, would you so you can manage it better? Or more for fevers and stomach viruses. I am more aggressive with Insulin than the school, since I will catch her low in time.

1 Like

You mean itā€™s changed since the 60-70s? We were told doctors away know best, just like Marcus Welby MD. Back then, few choices of insulins and I used single dose of lente once/day. Every 4-6 months, doctor would review urine test logs, and may suggest an increase of 1 or 2 units, after consulting the age/weight/insulin guidelines!!

So there has been some improvement.

3 Likes

I think that kind of depends on how sick your kid tends to be. My son seems to come down with every cold or virus that crosses the schoolā€™s threshold, if we held him home every time he came down with something that didnā€™t cause a fever or puking, he would be really excellent at video games.

1 Like

Same with mine. She is constantly sick. She keeps getting utis and colds. The utis are terrible. They raise her blood sugar so much.Her blood sugar at school is always high. I can be aggressive with insulin when I pick her up after school, knowing that I will catch the lows in time. This is why I want to move forward and get the pump.

1 Like