Dexcom world records

I did send him a Twitter response with a mention of the thread :slight_smile: He should know he is very popular here.

10~12 days is pretty typical for us. 14 max. Too concerned about skin issues to restart for a third week without moving the site.

1 Like

Currently on Day 29 of my current sensorā€”itā€™s gotten a little bit of noise in the last week, similar to the image above, but today (within first 24 hours of the most recent reboot) was the first time itā€™s been majorly off from my meter (prior itā€™s been within about 15-20; just now it was off by about 100, depending on which meter value I use, since I tested a couple of times). So we will see how much longer it lastsā€”I considered pulling it yesterday and starting fresh but kind of want to see just how long I can push it ha. I doubt Iā€™ll beat 42 thoughā€¦

1 Like

@cardamom, you are now the forum record holder!

@mikep still holds the crown.

1 Like

My record was either 42 or 46 days, I canā€™t remember which, but itā€™s posted at TuDiabetes somewhere. It was the first (and I think only) sensor I wore on my arm. My skin had a horrible rash on it and was unbearably itchy by the time I removed the sensor, but it was worth it. I pay out of pocket, so Iā€™m willing to put up with quite a bit of itching and irritation, dropouts and inaccuracies. Lately my sensors have been lasting a month on average (which is great, since my average used to be only three weeks). I use a combination of Hypafix (placed over the Dexcom adhesive with or without a hole), Skin Tac (painted over top of the adhesive), and Cavilon cream (under the entire sensor site, since Iā€™m horribly allergic to the Skin Tac) to keep things stuck. Iā€™m starting to swim more, and often end up changing adhesive almost daily during the 14-30 day period (the first two weeks are usually pretty good with just Skin Tac), so today I also ordered some Opsite Flexifix and RockTape to see if they stick better.

2 Likes

That is really amazing.

1 Like

Hey @Jen - that is awesome!!!

The crazy thing about my sensors is that I donā€™t use anything to keep them stuck and they last 20+ days even sweating pretty good on jogs. Most of the time when I take mine off the edges are rounded up a bit, but the adhesion around the middle is still pretty strong.

Please let us know your thoughts on Flexfix and RockTape once you put them through the ringer.

1 Like

I had my current good results (still going at day 30ā€”seems to be getting back on track) with Flexfixā€”taped two pieces, with a bit cut out of each to fit around the sensor, each piece running vertically so that they would have created a vertical line down the middle of the transmitter. Taped them on fairly tightly, and they lasted through week 3 I think, at which point I needed an extra strip reinforcing the top. Today Iā€™m going to re-tape one of the sides, since I guess Iā€™m committed to seeing just how long I can make this last ha.

3 Likes

Spoke too soonā€”time of sensor death, Day 30, 10:22am. It just couldnā€™t get back to accurate after this last restart (was just trying to convince me I was 43 when Iā€™m 99, after Iā€™d already did some aggressive re-calibrating this morning)ā€”it seems to have hit a hard wall, after having been quite reliable until this point. RIP.

1 Like

Outstanding duration though!

We seem to be hitting a hard reliability wall around day 15-17. Possibly it is that we are swimming almost daily.

I am always amazed by the variability these things have in different people. We get 21 days easy, we just stop because it gets to be more work to keep them going. But the sensor is still providing valid data. I wonder what the variables are. Clearly being super thin is one.

1 Like

It sounds like being super thin may prevent accurate numbers from the start.

My assumption on how long a sensor provides valid numbers has to do with how the particular personā€™s body attacks foreign substances. Really I base that on nothing and is pure speculation.

This is where we are also with the G5. The MOST weā€™ve been able to get has been just a day or two over the 2 week period. For the most part on day 14 we start seeing shaky data (missing gaps in data/communication) and we change it out.

I think itā€™s probably also how much the site gets disturbedā€”during this period, while I did go swimming a couple of times and had one kayaking adventure, I wasnā€™t super active, and my sensor didnā€™t see a lot of contact or rough conditions. It also seemed to be in a spot where it wasnā€™t getting pulled at much by clothingā€”I do the lower abdomen, and while usually that keeps my sensor fairly protected, sometimes I get a placement that ends up being tugged at more by jeans etc, and those seem to not to last as long, even if I can tape them down so they arenā€™t actually getting pulled out.

Liamā€™s site doesnā€™t get disturbed at all. He doesnā€™t do water and when we give him showers, we donā€™t get this site, or his POD site wet at all (just to be sure they donā€™t encounter any problems that would result in us needing to change them out prematurely.) I can only speak for our son, but his sites remain undisturbed through the entire course of their wear periods.

I find stable blood sugars are a big one for me. The more stable Iā€™m able to keep my blood sugar, the longer the sensor seems to last. I think thatā€™s why recently Iā€™ve had sensors lasting a month rather than two to three weeks. My last sensor I was away in the US when it died, and so I kept it going just for the heck of it. Surprisingly, after five restarts it actually came back for a few days. I noticed, though, that every time I spiked the sensor would cut out or the readings would go crazy and it would need to be reset.

2 Likes

I would agree that I do not find it likely to be related with a site being disturbed. If it was related to the site being disturbed, it would not be so consistent when the numbers get wonky.

1 Like

I had been applying Hypafix after a sensorā€™s first week, but found that after just a few days it would start peeling away and need trimming or replacing.

Then I put on my new Flexifix. A week and a half later and it still looks like I just put it on. Hypafix, meet Garbage Can.

2 Likes

I wasnā€™t suggesting that it was a single instance of a site being disturbed but rather that greater friction and more mild disturbances (that themselves donā€™t kill it) might cumulatively age the sensor faster. I suspect that is the case, but itā€™s probably far from the only factor and might not explain some peopleā€™s different results.

1 Like