Dexcom Developer API now live!

https://developer.dexcom.com/

8 Likes

That is really great news! We should see some awesome stuff come out of this.

3 Likes

great news?? I call this AMAZINGLY AWESOME !! (using chess notation)

This means we are going to see a huge amount of apps around the Dexcom :smile_cat:

3 Likes

This is really exciting.

I could cement Dexcom’s central position in the space. A year from now it might be more difficult for BigFoot Medical to switch from Dexcom to Freedom Libre.

3 Likes

WOW!!! This is groundbreaking news!!!
I was just thinking about this the other night, and thought, nah, that will never happen.

2 Likes
1 Like

I think this is great, and game- changing, but we need to be clear.

Dexcom is NOT opening up their transmitter to communicate with other apps, they are basically opening up the data gathered on the receiver and uploaded to the cloud.

2 Likes

To further clarify… It appears that the data you can access is 3 hours old, so no real time measurement or display.

I suspect the API is being released for third part data analysis software. I think we were all hoping for real time data for Automatic Pancreas Systems or even third party applications to view data on watches etc. but that is not what has been given (yet).

1 Like

I suspect realtime would potentially be too much competition.

3 hrs is straddling the fence. Open the door some but not giving it all away.

As you say, for analysis purpose, this works great. For any realtime purposes - pretty much useless.

1 Like

Yes!!!

The sole purpose of the 3 hour delay is to make it impossible to create dosing apps based on the data. If real time data were available, one could imagine all kinds of “bolus-wizard” type apps popping up in apple and google app stores, which of course could be great, but could also create risks and legal problems for Dex.

Incidentally, Nightscout has had API with real-time access to data for more than 2 years now, which has allowed developments of many watchface apps, analysis tools, etc. It’s fantastic news that Dex is now following the path traced by the DIY community - very smart and courageous! On a related note, the Dexcom team behind the API includes contributors from the #WeAreNotWaiting community, who we should all thank (yet again).

4 Likes

@dm61 +10000!
The DIY community are the true groundbreakers here. And it should be mentioned that they have come this far without significant funding.

It is through their selfless efforts that we have methods to utilize CGM data to power treatment modalities that people like Al Mann only dreamed of.

4 Likes