Dawn Phenomena

I read about diabetics having Dawn phenomena, where their Bg spikes in the morning for no apparent reason.

I generally have the opposite dawn effect. When I wake up and start moving around my Bg goes down. Like this morning at 6:30am my Bg was 140. I got up 15 minutes later and it dropped to 90 just before I stumbled into the shower. By the time I was dressed and out the door I was in the low 70’s.

This is usual enough that I wouldn’t even consider correcting a mild high first thing in the morning.

I have never in my life been a morning person. I really don’t get moving well until I’ve been awake for a couple of hours. I wonder if my liver doesn’t dump glycogen in the early morning.

Does anyone else have this “reverse” dawn phenomenon?

2 Likes

Interesting. I experienced this while I was on basal insulin, though not quite that dramatic a drop. Not sure if I’m still experiencing it…as I don’t check my BG in the mornings until I am about to dose for breakfast (preoccupied with children, and it’s never high). I’m also not at all a morning person, despite my children’s attempts to turn me into one.

2 Likes

We are in the DP = UP category.
Currently being handled by a programmed 40% basal increase.

1 Like

How interesting!

My son is also the opposite. He does not typically show dawn phenomenon, but feet-on-the-ground insulin: the moment his feet hit the floor he goes up, 20-30 (he needs insulin). He drops some of that in the shower :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@docslotnick I fall into the dawn drop group (now that there are two of us it is definately a group). I have a steady basal all night and when I get up my BG drops.

By the time I get in the car there is a angle-down arrow on the CGM.

I do however suffer from a mid-morning rise where my BG goes up around 10 to 11am. When I was on MDI I used to take a unit of Humalog around 9:30 or 10am.

Like you I am not a morning person. It takes a huge effort to get out of bed and I am half asleep for at least half an hour after I wake up.

So I can back you up with evidence or perhaps ancedote to support your theory about your liver.

3 Likes

We are in the Dawn Up camp. Insulin is our friend in the am.

2 Likes

Yes!!! No matter how balanced I have my basal I have this issue (BG drops between 5-7 am most days. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s really weird. Initially after my dx, I was in the up group, needing insulin before my feet swung down out of bed (aka: feet hit the floor insulin). These days, more often than not, I tend to be in the down group mirroring @Millz’s experience. Not really sure what the difference is there. As usual, I tend to suspect hormone fluctuation, since my dx came during pregnancy.

2 Likes

I can go either way and so can’t do any kind of preset basal change. Just one more weird thing about diabetes…

2 Likes