Daughter just had a very scary severe low

So sorry to hear about that scary incident with your daughter! It sounds like you handled it wonderfully. The variety of food that you have to treat her lows is fantastic, I just wanted to suggest something that my mom always has around with me for my T1D. Luckily I am extremely tolerant and have not (knock on wood) had a bad episode even when I get really low, even in the 20s (luckily only happened once or twice in my life!), but we always try and prepare in case it happens. My parents keep sugar packets around for several reasons, 1) because if you get the sugar in my cheek, it will just absorb right in; no swallowing, no time to even fight them because itā€™s already happened and 2) the sugar can be stored anywhere and it will be fine which is really handy. I usually use fruit snacks but in the heat they donā€™t turn out that great, haha.

Again, just a suggestion and I wanted to mention it just in case because as you know, every little piece of knowledge can help! Wishing you and your daughter the best! :heart:ļø

6 Likes

Welcom @Aylish, happy to have you posting! You may want to introduce yourself here:

It is always nice to see the number of posters grow here.

1 Like

Thank you :sunny:

So sorry you went thru this. It sounds like there are really two things coming out of this that your family will need to deal with: one is the medical stuff (why was she so low, could we prevent another, whatā€™s the optimal way to treat it) and the other is everyoneā€™s emotions and fears about what happened.

Our lowest low was 27 by fingerstick (on vacation 45 minutes from an ambulance and had been sprinting around playing tag with his cousins). Fortunately he was conscious and cooperative so we got to treat it orally, but scared the crap out of me. And like you, I can always work up a good freak out picturing the worst case emergency scenarios re field trips, rafting trips etc. If I gave in to that side of my brain, my kid would live in a kennel for sure :):grimacing:

I would say someone with a BG in the 20s-30s should not be expected to be very cooperative/rational if conscious, so would not be optimistic that better taste, preferred food etc will help. Rubbing on gums (gu, honey or cake icing) like you did, if they are not trying to bite you, was the right thing to do.

But I would add, DONā€™T be afraid of the glucagon, or the big needle. It is a one time event and it will not necessarily be traumatic, nor will a prolonged low and having people trying to force food into your mouth necessarily be NON traumatic. The glucagon could prevent a seizure or save a life, if in doubt use it. Who cares if the BG goes to 300 after? One high is not harmful in the context of lifelong management goals. One severe low with seizure, injury etc could be. Use the butt muscle if you need to, itā€™s large and not within the personā€™s visual range if they are scared or agitated. Go right thru their pants, thatā€™s part of the good of the big needle. Staying calm til out of sight like you did is great. If you can fake being calm, it will calm everyone else down.

One rule we do have (you probably already do this also) is if our 14 yo is away from us, somebody heā€™s with knows how to use the glucagon pen. A youth leader, friend or friends parent. As he has lived longer with diabetes, he is getting less hypo-aware as it sounds like your daughter is, so he doesnā€™t get a warning at 70 anymoreā€¦he might be 50 before he feels it. At first, he didnā€™t want to admit this and still wanted to rely on how he felt to warn him, rather than being rigorous about the Dexcom staying in range, etc. Maybe your daughter feels like that also? Heā€™s gradually matured and had enough unpleasant lows to realize the necessity of other backups.

I donā€™t know if it would fit with your family dynamic, but maybe a family meeting to address the emotional parts? Pat people on the back for what they did well ā€“ your daughter for hanging in there and eventually accepting oral sugar, your son for being so selfless and willing to help, and parents for working as a team ā€“ and also hear what freaked them out, especially what it felt/sounded like for your daughter. I would imaging having a plan for ā€œnext timeā€ would make your son feel more secure and confident, that is a great idea. It may also help to walk thru how many steps there were between this situation and actually losing her ā€“ if she had passed out or seized, you would have used glucagon. You would have gotten help from 911. You were prepared. It would have been awful to go through that, but she would have very likely been fine. Thatā€™s the kind of thing I have to do to combat the ā€œworst caseā€ thinking.

Our 11 yo brother is trained on the glucagon pen and am going to teach my 8, 6 and 3 yo as they get older enough but you are inspiring me to have a new touch base with everybody so thank you!

5 Likes

:rofl:

Iā€™ve never heard of a glugacon pen. Is this new??

Oh sorry, guess I should say ā€œstupid awkward glucagon syringe kit thingā€. No itā€™s just the usual red kit with vial etc. When I teach other people to use it I always compare it to an epi pen so Iā€™ve gotten in that habit. The person who invents liquid stable glucagon will be my hero!

3 Likes

Submitted to the FDA and awaiting approval.

6 Likes

Hereā€™s more about the Xeris stable-glucagon pen: https://myglu.org/articles/xeris-asks-fda-to-approve-ready-to-use-glucagon-pen

Would be fun to have a betting pool on how long it will take for approval.

Will it be fast-tracked like the 670G? Or will they make them keep filling out the application and re-applying and take forever like they did with Fiasp?

Only the minions at the FDA know for sureā€¦

1 Like

I am always up for a betting pool.

Maybe a new title that only the most current winner gets.

ā€œPool Masterā€

ha ha ha

4 Likes

The company did get an ā€œOrphan Drugā€ designation approved prior to the submission. I know that carries some financial benefits but I am unclear if that can also speed up the approval process or not.

The FDA seems to be approving technology pretty quick recently - like the Medtronic pump and the new Insulet PDM and all the Tandem stuff and the Dexcom G6. But the medicines are what seem to take longer. Think there is anything to that?

BTW, glad to have the little varmint back! image

4 Likes

There is definitely a reason for that. Devices are pretty limited in their ability to harm, while drugs can have more systemic and widespread effects that need to be studied more in-depth. A few years ago, the FDA recognized this and made devices easier to approve. This was after a series of devices had stupid requirements put on them by the FDA that prolonged approval for a very long time.

1 Like

I could make an argument that a rogue insulin pump might be able to do some serious harm. :open_mouth:

I actually think that would be a pretty cool name for your pump, @amymc.

ā€œRogue Oneā€, from Star Wars!

2 Likes

While true, a rogue insulin pump is pretty easy to test for, and the companies can do a good job of figuring out what the rate of failures are as well as continuously monitor for problems and download/create fixes for hardware device issues. All of these things are more difficult in drugs.

as a user of the product that DID get fast-tracked, Iā€™d say I hope they take their time.

So it doesnā€™t maim somebody. Or keep them up all night every night.

3 Likes

Which might cause the user to maim someone. After too many sleepless nights. :joy:

2 Likes

Yes, a pump is easier because you can use something like a gravimetric scale to test insulin delivery amounts. You can do a lot of it without using people!

I have seen some of the setups. They have a sealed system so there is no evaporation. Itā€™s actually pretty cool. And itā€™s easy to demonstrate because you donā€™t have human variability, you just weigh it.

I was somewhat kidding around with my comment of course. I understood your point about medicines versus technology. I was kind of poking fun at the rogue 670G, because DN has compared it to an evil leprechaun tinkering with her basal. :grinning:

1 Like

Which HAS caused the user to maim verbally everyone else under the same roof and occasional, innocent, unsuspecting others like slow, careful drivers, the mail lady, that couple of young kids who really WERENā€™T doing anything wrong but looked like they wereā€¦

2 Likes

Laughed so hard I hurt myself.

Made me think of this:

https://goo.gl/images/AZ9P9S

3 Likes