Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

Always a useful thing to have in a swimming pool! :grin:

With a reduced or zero basal for activity, when that activity gets interrupted or cancelled, I’m never quite sure how much insulin to bolus right away to balance things out. I think you rescued yourself well.

And Happy Birthday in advance!

1 Like

My guess is the clarity of the water wasn’t what it should be.

2 Likes

The clarity of the pool seemed fine. there were no other classes coming in as it was strictly “lap time.”

they wouldnt tell us WHY we were being directed out of the pool, so i dont know what was going on. all i know was that it was very disconcerting and it really bummed me out.

this only happened once before. last year there were kids taking lessons and one of them peed in the pool, so they hustled us out and drained the pool, cleaned it and refilled it. we had to stand around for about 30 minutes before they told us that it would take too long for us to get back in so we might as well go home. but yesterday, there were no kids in the pool at all, so i havent a clue as to why that happened.

1 Like

Please, do share once you know :slight_smile:

My thought is if it wasn’t the clarity of the water, then it might have to do with staffing in that a lifeguard wasn’t going to be available (a personal emergency forced them to leave immediately, which forces everyone out of the water type thing).

Lack of spontaneity is one of the attributes most difficult to manage with diabetes, like suddenly having to get out the pool, after take a Gtab for expected drop. :unamused: You did a great job getting the high to come down. I am still timid to do an IM injection.

Happy Birthday!! :birthday::clinking_glasses::tada:

2 Likes

A GREAT BIRTHDAY RECOVERY SWIM EXPERIMENT#1:

for my birthday, i did a total pig out with my husband. i know some people like to go out to fancy restaurants for celebratory things, but for me, what could be better than a good burger with fries and all of the fix’ins. i had a large beef burger on a sweet brioche roll with sweet potato fries and 2 orders of guacamole with taro chips (it was literally about a pound of guacamole ! ) i ate so much that when we got home, i had to put on my sweats b/c my stomach was too full to keep my jeans on :wink:

anyway, it was all good food to make for the perfect swim today. a total re-fuel: protein, startch, sugar and grease.

i swam strong and hard today. no extra carbs needed, and the pool was practically empty. it wasnt my fastest swim, but it certainly was not my most leisurely.

when i started my prep, my BG was 112. i pre-bolused .3 units and turned off my pump. within 1/2 hour, my BG went down to 97. i took 1 Gtab to avoid a low (from the bolus). after 2 hours of ZB, my BG was 124. i left my house for the pool.

here are today’s stats:

1:25 bg 141
2pm bg 132
2:30 bg 108
3pm bg 104
3:30 bg 104

I wont be able to be back in the pool until tuesday, but i will be well rested and well fueled.
hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and thank you all for your lovely birthday good wishes. :smile:

signing off,
DM

4 Likes

Fabulous swim and numbers!!

1 Like

SWIMMING OFF MY BIRTHDAY HIGH CARB MEALS EXPERIMENT #1:

since my family is somewhat divorced, i have members who do not get along, and to accomodate every family member for birthday meal, instead of having just 1 big family meal, i end up having many (so far 4 meals) so, my BGs have been totally wonky; i have had to do many corrections for both highs and lows. i have tried changing my basals to accomodate the high carbs, etc etc…

anyhow, i have been rested since my last swim (Friday) and have consumed endless calories and endless carbs. for the most part i have been stable with nice flat lines, but then i have those middle of the night spikes. so, when i swam today, i was not certain how much replacement basal to give myself post swim. i had been off my pump for 4 hours, and at the end of my swim, my BG was 70 (and still going down). it was a strong swim, so i knew to expect this, but still, i was uncertain how much insulin i needed to replace. usually, i will give myself 2 units to cover the 4 hours of ZB. but since i have been on an elevated basal, i gave myself 2.4 units (to cover a basal rate of .65 units/hour ) seemed reasonable.
i dont know yet if i gave myself the appropriate amount, but i am certain of one thing: i will find out later :wink:

it was a great swim today. i started out high, and was totally able to relax in the pool. for 90 minutes, i was not diabetic. i was just a swimmer enjoying herself.I felt totally UNLIMITED.

here are today’s stats:

1:20 bg 150
2pm bg 121
2:30 bg 86
3pm bg 70 (bolused 2.4 units)
3:30 bg 63 (bolused 1.6 units to cover 32 gms of re-fuel shakes and took 2gms of a Gtab)

tomorrow i had planned on swimming, but my mother wanted to take me out to Japanese for lunch to celebrate my birthday (OMG, another tricky meal) so i wont be back in the water till thursday. still, i will report how my BGs go as a result of these wonky insulin needs.

signing off,

DM

4 Likes

Great swim and numbers!! Oh, my, Japanese food is something I pretty much stay away from despite loving it! Well, especially sushi, can’t eat that at all without huge spikes. It isn’t worth it! BUT there should be some delicious tofu, or tempura!:smile: Have a great celebration!

2 Likes

CONFUSING BLOOD SUGARS SWIM EXPERIMENT #1:

by the time i was getting into the pool (2.5 hours of ZB), my BG was high (148) so i knew i could swim hard and strong without worrying at all about needing to take any carbs during my swim. i thought that by swimming really hard, it would bring down my BG as it usually does. but this was the strangest thing: after my first half hour, i got out of the pool to test, and my BG was exactly the same!!! i have NEVER had this happen to me EVER. my only assumption is that perhaps my BG was still going UP before i was swimming, and that i was swimming off an even higher BG, so that when i got out of the pool the first time, i had come out Even Steven. other than that, i am boggled.

HAS ANYONE HAD THIS EXPERIENCE BEFORE WHEN THEY EXERCISED? ANY IDEAS FROM ANYONE?

anyway, it was a great swim. i totally forgot that i had D and swam my heart out. when i got out of the pool, i could hardly catch my breathe. now i’ve got that major endorphin rush going, and its wonderful.
just finished drinking my favorite and fabulous chocolate re-fuel shakes, and i am looking forward to a delicious dinner.

here are today’s stats:

1:20 bg 148
2pm bg 148
2:30 bg 120
3pm bg 110
3:30 bg 90

would love to hear back from anyone with regards to that weird BG situation!!! :rofl:

signing off,
DM

3 Likes

Just lots of WAG: I’ve found the more adapted to an activity I am, the less it drops my BG. Looks like you’ve been swimming a while now, so maybe not.

Maybe a super-extra hard swim caused an anaerobic effect blunting the drop in BG. I’ve only heard of this anecdotally.

Great numbers!

2 Likes

When I work really hard on the stairmaster, my BG drops a little for 15 minutes, then begins a steady rise. They say the stress hormones are released when you’re working near your limits, and they cause BG to rise. (This is one way your body tries to save you when you’re running from the sabre-tooth tiger: release extra glucose to power your escape.)

1 Like

although i have not been swimming due to long colonoscopy prep, etc, i did, however get my latest A1c back : 5.2% Yippie for me; i work so hard for it that its a nice gift to see my efforts are worthwhile. :sunny:

3 Likes

Fantastic result! We all know how hard you worked to achieve this, too. :sunny:

1 Like

SWIMMING WITH IOB EXPERIMENT #1:

when i started my swim prep this morning (11am) my BG was high (139) and i knew 2 things that would help bring it back into range and keep me from spiking higher: 1 would pre-bolus higher than usual (although not that much higher), and 2, drink a lot of Diet Pepsi (which ALWAYS brings my BGs down).

so i bolused .5 units. this worked out really well while i waited on Zero Basal for 2 hours before leaving for the pool. my BG actually came down to 126, rather than going higher. however, when i got to the pool, i still had .2 units OB. not much, but enough to make me nervous to swim as intensely as i liked to. so i swam with some caution. (by the time i had gotten to the pool, right before jumping in, my BG was 140.)

here are today’s stats:

1:20 bg 140
1:55 bg 140 ( swam much stronger)
2:25 bg 118 (continued to swim with intensity)
2:55 bg 99 (got out and bolused for replacement basal 2.8 units to cover 4 hours of missed basal)
3:35 bg 66 (bolused 50% for my carbs/protein refuel shake at a 1:10 ICR) ( i just want to put out there that my ICR at this hour of the day is actually 1:14, but for some reason 1:10 bolus works perfectly for me)

i cannot say that it was a great swim. the pool was very crowded and there were 5 people in my lane (which is the max). everyone was kicking and splashing and i got a lot of water in my mouth and feet in my face.) it was a challenge to relax and get to that space of calm pleasure that i usually get from my swims. but i persevered despite the circumstances.

will be back in the pool tomorrow, so i will be carbing up tonight.

signing off,

DM

PS: hope you all had a nice holiday weekend. it was beautiful here in Brooklyn :sunny:

3 Likes

FEAR, COURAGE, CAUTION EXPERIMENT #1

before jumping into the pool today, my BG was 130, which i thought was great, b/c it has been one of my goals to start off lower than i have been in the past and use glucose tablets as needed. i swam intensely, but when i got out just 1/2 hour later, i had crashed down to 92. so i took a Gtab and jumped back in. i dont usually go lower until the second half of my swim, so i was caught off guard. anyway, i swam my heart out and when i got out to test, i had crashed even more; down to 65. i erred on the way of caution and decided to call it a day after only swimming for 1 hour. i am wondering if i need to have more carbs with my dinner tonight to re-fuel. too bad Eric isnt around :frowning_face: 'cause i know he would have a great explaination and advice to give.

here are todays stats:

11am bg 70 took 1 Gtab and turned off my pump and bolused .2 units
1:20 bg 130 jumped into the pool and swam intensely (at this point, i had been on ZB for 2.5 hours)
1:55 bg 92 took 1 GTab and jumped back in for another round of intense swimming
2:30 bg 65 decided i was uncomfortable being this low, so i got out of the pool.

i bolused 2.3 units to cover my time off my pump (3.5 hours) and i dashed home. at 3pm i bolused 1.6 units for my Boost shakes, and my BG had come up to 91. 15 minutes later, my BG had come back down to 74.

so today’s swim was intense, but short. too bad. a little disappointing, but there’s always tomorrow :sunny:

signing out,

DM

3 Likes

I’m no Eric… and there’s no “but” after that. I’m no Eric.

Here’s how I would approach it though if I were at least another diabetic who spends eternity thinking about exercise-related blood sugars…First, I’ll not help by bringing more questions. :smiley:

1. Is there anything different than your normal routine? From all of this? :point_down::point_down:

Like is your 70 at 11 typical?

1. Any big boluses this morning?? This one is a stretch, but maybe that 70 was a frail 70 that could’ve used more than one gtab??

2. Have you ever—or would you— consider taking 2 tabs when you see a drop like that?? With a fast drop and with a continuing high intensity workout, maybe you could’ve given yourself some extra padding once you recognized it??

3. Did you have enough carbs this morning? And did you get enough yesterday?? I will tell you Eric recently told me about how he went almost 24 hours without doing any boluses because he hadn’t eaten the day before his long run day. He said—in Eric words—that his body just burned up all of the carbs, 96 in total, during the run and everything afterwards. So if maybe you went light yesterday on the carbs it could’ve explained why an intense workout today zapped your blood sugar??

Still not Eric… thank goodness. :smiley:

2 Likes

yes, 70 is typical. no suprizes there. i took the Gtab b/c i knew that i would be pre-bolusing before turning off my pump and i didnt want to drop before leveling out.

[quote=“Nickyghaleb, post:1949, topic:894”]
Have you ever—or would you— consider taking 2 tabs when you see a drop like that??

usually, if i am in my 90s, i wouldnt take a Gtab around my second stretch b/c i knew that with all that time on ZB and no IOB (well, the .1 unit left over from 3 hours ago), but today i had that big drop very quickly. tomorrow (and in the future) i will bring some juice with me to the pool and if i experience such a BIG, immediate drop in my first 1/2 hour, i will take more, and more immediate carbs. this was a first for me, so i’ve got a lot of lessons still to learn.

i eat the exact same breakfast every morning. so, there was nothing unusual about my carb intake. i know that eric has a very diferent experience with his BGs than i do. first off, he runs 7 days in a row, 365 days a year. i swim 3-5 days in a row. also, he is completely comfortable with his BG being in their 50s. when i am that low, i cant see straight, much less swim. the only thing for me is that when i am swimming, i cannot have any sense of what my BGs are doing. i cannot sense if they are stable, going lower or crashing. (when i am walking around doing errands, i can ALWAYS tell if my BG is dropping. being in the water seems to change everything)

tonight i am going to have more carbs with my dinner. i know that when i swim on consecuative days, my physiology is different and i have different needs. tomorrow will be the third day in a row that i will be swimming. i will be changing my evening ICR and lowering my basals for a day, most likely.

thx for your comments and questions. i really appreciate your help. :blush:

3 Likes

I CAN HARDLY BREATHE EXPERIMENT #1:

if yesterday’s swim was a disappointment, today’s swim made up for it in spades !!! i swam so hard with such great intensity that i could hardly breathe. what made this possible was that i started out with a high BG (150 ) and swam as hard and as fast i could without any fear whatsoever of having a diabetic crash. so, basically for 90 minutes, i was not diabetic, and that was the most freeing of all feelings. at one point during my swim, i closed my eyes for a few laps. it felt like Heaven.

now, not only am i sore as hell, but i’ve got one major endorphin rush. and OMG does that feel great.

why were my sugars higher today than yesterday? why didnt i crash the way i did yesterday? i am uncertain. it seems to be one of those unpredictable things. but one thing is for certain: i did eat more carbs with my dinner last night.

also, last evening, i went low a couple of times. (low 40s ) which i treated with juice; so i thought it would require a lowered TB for my overnight; i set a 90% TB for 5 hours, knowing that that amount of time would cover me just long enough for me to wake up with 100% basal in my system.

well i tested my BG at 1am and i had spiked to 133. i did a correction ASAP and turned off the TB.when i woke up at 6am my BG was back in range at 84. (if i followed the suggestion my pump’s WIZARD feature gave me for the correction, i would have most likely woken up higher, b/c my pump recommended .1 units. i corrected with .4 units instead. This is what Eric would refer to as using The Force. i followed my gut.)

here are today’s stats:

1pm bg 137 leave for pool
1:20 bg 153 jump in
1:50 bg 135
2:20 bg 103
2:50 bg 96 bolused 2.6 units and dashed home like a crazy mad woman :rofl:. (made a modification here on my basal refuel, b/c i thought that Tuesday’s swim i was too aggressive. Tuesday i gave myself a bolus of 2.8 which i think caused a quick low 1/2 hour afterwards. we’ll see how the night goes.)

taking the weekend off, but will be back in the pool on Tuesday. time to re-coop and re-fuel.

Have a great weekend everyone!

signing off,
DM

2 Likes

THE EVENING AFTER AN INTENSE SWIM EXPERIMENT #1:

so last night was a challenging one. 2.5 hours after dinner, my BG went into the 30s. it was too low for a typical chocolate remedy; i had to go straight for the apple cider. so i drank about 6-8oz and waited 1/2 hour to test again. my BG came up 70/80s but then within another 1/2 hour, it went down again. i spent most of the night drinking apple cider, until around 1am when i spiked to 175. i did a correction and went back to sleep.

so when the morning came and it was breakfast time, i changed my ICR to compensate for too much insulin, and i hit it right on the money! then i thought, i’ll turn down my basal for a bit. so i turned on a TB of 95% for 1 hour. my BG came up to 115. i turned off the TB and have been hoovering at 100 all day long. (well, i have been snacking without bolusing throughout the day, but it hasnt seemed to have much impact on my BGs)

But last night was kind of scarey…for both me as well as my husband (who TOTALLY freaks when i am in my 30s). so i thought, what if right AFTER i finish my swim, i turned on a TB to get me through the evening, and then i turn it off at bedtime (all depending, of course, how my BGs are going). so i am wondering what Eric would do? well, the answer to that is most likely, he would simply EAT MORE!!! :rofl:

Has anyone out there in D-Cyber-land had experience with this?

all comments and suggestions welcome and encouraged!!!

DM

1 Like