Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

Oh, sorry! It seems we might be in the minority!

if i put Splenda in my coffee with the cream, it spikes me. why i dont spike from the artificial ā€œsugarā€ in diet Pepsi or diet Coke is beyond me. some sodas do, however, spike me. all i know is that when i do drink diet Pepsi, my BGs tend to go down rather than up. kinda like if i drink a lot of water.

dairy products in general tend to spike me: cream, milk, yogurt, cheesesā€¦ i could go from 85 to 180 within and hour after eating if i dont bolus for the smallest cube of cheese!!! :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

COPING WITH UNEXPECTED FRUSTRATIONS EXPERIMENT#1:

I was supposed to go swimming today. But i had a miserable yesterday evening and overnight and morning (and this afternoon has been one crisis after another (of my own making on one account)

I kept spiking all throughout the night (i have no understaning of why. ) i kept doing IM shots without any possitive results. then i crashed before morning bfast. i was frustrated and exhausted. i couldnt get my BGs in any safe range. I wanted to throw pillows, etc. :grimacing:

then when i was finally in range, i bolused to eat lunch. i bolused wrong. i didnt give myself enough insulin for the carbs i was eating, and i spiked (again) from 80 to 185. i tried to correct, but to no avail.

now i am going to give myself another half hour to see if my attempt at correcting my error has any positive effect. if not, i will just give myself another IM shot to bring down my crazy BG.

i am in bed sulking.

i am simply putting this out there into D Cyber Land so that all of you can know that although i remain UNLIMITED, Sh*t happens and not every experiment works out as planed. i am just trying my very best to take good care of myself and take it one step at a time. repair and move on. there is always tomrrow and the many tomorrows after that.

signing off,
DM

2 Likes

Me, too. Must bolus!!

1 Like

How did you figure out how many carbs you must account for to have that slice of cheese? and, do you have to do an extended bolus to account for the fatā€™s slow digestion? I need to bolus for protein and fats and although i have pretty much nailed down how many carbs to account for for the proteins (chicken, fish, beef, etc) i have yet to navigate my way through a cheese or a nut bolus.

1 Like

Great question! Basically it was just trial and error, and then I monitor for the next couple of hours in case I need to do a correction. Generally, 1U works for me though. I usually take it just before eating the cheese, so no lengthy pre-bolus, like I typically do for other food. No, I donā€™t seem to need to do an extended bolus either, maybe because Iā€™m taking the bolus almost at the same time. My I:C is typically 1U for 15 carbs, so 1U for 1 or 2g in the cheese does not make any sense, I know, but it usually works! Same thing for nuts, too! I love both of them!

2 Likes

wow, thats helpful to know. i am usually 1:12 ICR during the day up until 9pm. i am going to try this ASAP.

for whatever reason, i spike terribly from yogurt. ANY type of yogurt (always plain). finally today, i tried Sheepā€™s Milk Yogurt b/c it has only 6gms of carbs and 2 gms of sugars. i still spiked. the next time i eat yogurt i am going to double the amount of carbs i am bolusing for and see if that keeps me from spiking. i know that i need to experiment with it b/c i LOVE yogurt so much.itā€™s worth the trial and error. i have a very strange relationship with dairy products. (kind of like what happens when i put 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee)

1 Like

I love yoghurt, too:-) I eat 1/4 cup of Greek yoghurt for breakfast. I mix it w/ 1/4 cup fruit (berries, apple, banana, kiwi), and seeds (flax, hemp, chia). It is delicious but it can spike me, too, so I eat it slowly, and usually have a pre-bolus of 30 minutes or more of 2U. Plus coffee w/ half-and-half, like you!:slight_smile: That usually works, unless Iā€™m having some other problems, like insulin absorption which has been happening a lot recently. Maybe it is the coffee w/ half-and-half that is the spike culprit! I havenā€™t tried testing them individually! It sounds like you and I have similar difficulties w/ dairy though, for better or worse :thinking:

2 Likes

at least i know that i am not alone. i use to think i was the only D who had to bolus for protein and for fat. being on FUD has taught me so much and that forever YDMV. i would have appreciated a better CDE from the beginning, b/c i always felt like i was doing something wrong when my BGs would spike after eating something i was told i didnt need to bolus for.its not always all about carb counting.

2 Likes

Counting and dosing for proteins is often call TAG for doing calcs.

Here is prior FUD topic.

There were more details on TuD, will try to find and link them. They were helpful for me.

Edit: I found TuD link, and added it to above FuD topic.

3 Likes

Thanks, never heard of this before! And, yes, @daisymae, my CDE is the same, only counts carbs for bolusing! :frowning:

where can i find the TAG link? (and thanks for including this in our discussion!! )

1 Like

@MM2 put it in the thread theyā€™ve inked to above, but Iā€™ll put it directly here too:

Tag library - Treatment - TuDiabetes Forum

But I read it and itā€™s not particularly clear to me. So I did some googling. And I came across the following:

Total Available Glucose (TAG)

The TAG (Total Available Glucose) approach is based on a book by Mary Joan Oexmann published in 1989. [8] This method calculates the insulin required for carbohydrate, protein (54% of carbohydrate) and fat (10% of carbohydrate).

If we gave all the insulin calculated for both carbohydrates and protein when we sat down to eat a high protein meal it is possible that the insulin would take effect before the protein digested, leading to low blood glucose before the gluconeogenesis from the protein had time to kick in.

To deal with the fact that glucose from protein can take longer to show up in the blood stream people who follow the TAG approach typically use a ā€˜dual wave bolusā€™. The insulin for the carbohydrates is dosed with the meal, while the insulin for the protein is infused slowly as a separate ā€œsquare wave bolusā€ over a period of three hours or so. The need for the carbohydrate and protein boluses to be split will depend on the amount of protein in your meal and how quickly protein raises your blood sugars.

Source: Mastering Type-1 Diabetes Management: A Comprehensive Guide to Thriving with T1D | Optimising Nutrition

That made a little more sense to me and cited the original source of TAG. :smile:

We had never heard of injecting for protein and fat before FUD. And I think youā€™re not the only two people whoā€™ve realized your coffee spikes you. EH noticed an effect from Diet Coke. No doctor would agree with him but it always raises his BG.

2 Likes

Thanks for this; but i am still completely confused. i think most of this is b/c i usually have unsusual protein/fat meals when i am out at a restaurant, and not at home. my home meals i have down patt.

i have been trying for years to come up with the perfect pizza bolus. i have yet to get a flat line when eating pizza. despite the fact that i go to the same exact restaurant EVERY time. i split the bolus, i use the dual wave, i try and make decisions based upon each past experience, etc.

i do know that the portion i consider as 1 serving requires a count of 10gms of carbs (egg salad, tuna salad, chicken, turkey, fish). this formula does not work for burgers or other fatty meals, like hamburgers or dark meats (veal, dark meat chicken/turkey,etc; for that i require a dual bolus over bwteen 2.5 to 3 hours)

i think i am going to delve into the internet and see what i can find. i am another D investigative reporter.

EDIT: i found the link and it didnt AT ALL gibe with my needs when i eat these types of foods. the count reccommended didnt come close to how much insulin i would need to eat a burger or a slice of pizza.

i think when it all comes down to it, i just need to experiment experiment experiment.

2 Likes

Absolutelyā€¦

But the concept applies, but is very individualized per many factors. I use a split bolus of approximately 75/25 immediate bolus and square wave, but may then add a bit more bolus based on dexcom trend, using the easy bolus feature on MM pump.

Gary Steiner has some references to this on Integrated Diabetes website. Suggests that bolus for fat an protein should be considered only when percentage within given meal increases above ā€œnormalā€.

As for TuD link, I think some content was messed up when they converted.

2 Likes

this is so strange how different we all are!!! i generally need to do the exact opposite. i do a 30/70 split over 2-3 hours. as we all know, YDMV :wink:

It all depends on meal. Iā€™d guess your meal is higher percent fat/protein. If I ate meal of 10 carbs, 100 fat/protein, which I donā€™t usually do, mine would be more like yours.
And the type of proteinā€¦ protein powder in a fruit smoothie, or a hunk of steak??

1 Like

iā€™m talking about a burger with fries or pizza. but if it is only dark meat (chicken or turkey or veal) i would bolus 40/60 over 2 hours.

every situation is different. (also, it depends on high high the carbs are.)

A TOTAL BUMMER EXPERIMENT#1

everything started out perfectly today. my prep for my swim, my courage to jump into the pool with a BG of only 109, the temperature of the pool, the emptiness of the pool, getting my own lane, etc. before jumping in, i really dared myself and took 2 glucose tabs and tried to be as fearless as possible. when i got out to test 1/2 hour later, my BG was 108. i took 1.5 Gtabs and jumped back in. Got out of the pool 1/2 hour later, and my BG had spiked to 146! OMG, so i jumped right back in and started swimming as hard and as fast as i possibly could. BUT THEN, when i go to the end of my lane, the lifeguards were hustling everyone out of the pool. they were closing down the pool and wouldnt tell us why. all i knew was that i had only gotten a 1 hour swim in, and my BG was elevated.

well, i decided that when i was bolusing for all of my replacement basal, i would add on some extra insulin as a correction. no worries, right? so i showered and dashed home. 40 minutes later from my bolus, i re-tested. my BG had spiked even higher: 173. immediately i did and IM correction in my thigh.

next time i am in a situation where my BG is 108 on my second stretch, i wont be giving myself any Gtabsā€¦thats for certain!!! live and learn. now i am just waiting for my BGs to come back down.

totally bummed out. but iā€™ll be back in the pool on Friday (seeing my CDE tomorrow; Thursday is my Bday, so a day of family and friends) I will do my best to keep all of this new info in mind when my fear of crashing starts to take over and that bottle of Gtabs seems like it is the magic potion that will save me from sinking.

i would say that my stats today are irrelevent, but i think they are extremely telling, so here they are:
start of swim prep, turned off my pump at 0% basal and bolused .3 units.

1pm bg 105
1:20 bg 109 took 2 gtabs and jumped in
2pm bg 108 too 1.5 tabs and jumped back in
2:30 bg 146 took nothing, jumped back in and started to swim like a maniac
2:35, directed out of the pool and sent up to the locker room.
2:40 bolused 2.4 units for missed basal plus small correction
3:15 bg 173 bolused 1 unit IM in my right thigh.
3:50 bg 124

took no units for my re-fuel shakes. just skipped them altogether.dont know if this was the right thing to do. i did swim for 1 hour, but i didnt really exurt myself as i would have liked. sitting here writing this, i dont even feel like i exercised at all.

signing off,
DM

2 Likes

Why were you directed out of the pool? Doesnā€™t seem nice. Was an aquatic class or something starting?

1 Like