Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

It is never the same way twice. It just depends on so many things. I can turn it off right before I start and take no carbs, or turn it off an hour before and pop carbs right before I start. I can take insulin while running, or take none. Or turn basal on in the middle of a run, or leave it off.

It is never the same, I just go with what feels right for that particular instance.

Last night ended up doing 8 miles. Started with basal off, turned it back on when I went up to 110. I took 0.10 units. Then I turned it back off when I went down to 80. Then took 23 grams for the last mile which was harder, so I wanted to fuel it with sugar. Ended the run at 127, which I think is high. But the last mile was faster so it probably spiked me a bit.

But none of that matters because next time the situation will be different. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t share a formula. Because I donā€™t have one! Itā€™s always different.

1 Like

Lemme think about it a little before I answer.

You know the spikes you sometimes see way after? Like at night?

I think the faster carbs right away will help reduce those spikes too. If you have slow digestion, taking slow carbs is going to make you spike later. Fast carbs + slow digestion might work out for you better.

1 Like

here is where flexibility comes in to play. i have learned how to be flexable with my swim prep as well as how many carbs to take and when during my swims. i roll with the punches, so to speak. if i wake up on the high side, i pre-bolus more when i turn off my pump. if on the low side, less. and so on. same for how many carbs i need during my swim. and, as you said:its always different.

so, here is a new area for me to learn about. FUEL. i think i am up for the task :blush:

1 Like

HARDER AND FASTER EXPERIMENT # 3:

i know that i have been reporting the increasing speed of my swims lately, but it was a goal of mine that i set about 4 months ago. i am accomplishing it. each day i have been pushing myself to swim as hard as possible. even my ā€œslowā€ warm-up swim is faster than it originally was. today was my fastest swim yet, and i can tell that i will ache severely as the evening progresses. my shoulders and my back and my arms are so exhausted than i feel like GUMBY, and my thighs and calves are burning. but it feels good.

also, a number of weeks ago, i had a goal that i wanted to learn the flip turn at the end of the lap lane; i taught myself how to do this by watching the other swimmers, and i have been becoming more and more proficient with it. today, in particular, i was doing it very well and consistently. but it did require focus and attention and precision. but, i was totally up to the task, so i was psyched about it.

also, i took yesterday off, and i really fueled up, so my body was rested today, and the fueling helped my swim a lot. currently, as i write this, i am refueling in hopes of not going low this evening. but i am also on a lowered basal rate; hopefully that will prevent the crash (which typically comes right after dinner).

i am considering changing my ICR for dinnertime on swimming days, since i consistently crash right after eating, about 1 hour after i bolus for my meal. i will have to consult eric for that one :wink:.

(although eric shared with me his ideas about how i can refuel more effectively after my swim to avoid the later evening crash, i am kind of nervous to start experimenting yet. i have my enormous bottle of apple juice available and ready. i did drink my 2 Boost Shakes, though, and i had a little plain yogurtā€”not the Greek yogurt, though, just the old fashioned kind. weā€™ll see what happens.)

will keep you posted.
signing off for today,
DM

1 Like

Hey DM,
You should post the numbers you showed me. They looked great today!

1 Like

HERE ARE TODAYS STATS:

1:30 BG 113 took 1/2 Gtab and jumped in
2pm BG 126
2:30 BG 118
3pm BG 101
3:30 BG 93

also, besides putting myself on the lowered basal pump profile, i turned my TB down to 90% for 4 hours. currently my BG is 73. i took 1/2 a Gtab and am getting ready to eat a nice, healthy dinner.

3 Likes

A TOUGH SWIMMING LEARNING EXPERIEMNT # 1:

all seemed to be going well last night until 1 hour before i was planning on having dinner: i had plummeted to a BG of 46. i drank 1 glass of apple juice (28 gms sugar and carbs) and i waited for my sugars to come back up safely. it took 1 full hour to get them up to 54, so i had a little more juice and waited again. within 1/2 an hour, my Bg was 186. i bolused for dinner.within another hour, my BG had returned again to 45, and i had all this IOB from my dinner bolus. i quickly drank some more juice. this was at 8:30pm. at 9:30, i was still at 45, so i drank 1C 2% milk with 3 Tbs of Ovaltine; a total of 27 gms of carbs with moderate amount of sugars. i turned on an 80% TB and i waited. by 10:45 my BG was up to 89. phew, i felt like i was out of the woods. but, just an hour later, my BG was 180. man-o-man, was i exhausted. not just from my swim, but from all of these BG lows. ugh. anyway, i did a 1 unit correction and went to bed. and i turned off the TB.

i knew i would spike during the night. so, i went to bed with my reading glasses, a syringe and a vial of insulin on my bedside table. sure enough, at 3:30 in the morning, i woke up and tested, only to find that my BG was 348; i did a 5 unit IM correction and went back to sleep.

when i woke up this morning, my BG was 77. phew, back in rangeā€¦at least i thought. i wasnt hungry, but i made myself a hearty bfast anyhow. i was shaking, sweating, achingā€¦i felt like i had the flu. so i got back into bed and tried to sleep. all i did was roll around and curl up into a ball under my covers. i just couldnt get comfortable. i had the TV on and i kind of dozed in and out of sleep.

lunchtime came, and my BG was 98. i turned on my ā€œPattern Aā€ basal rate (for non-swimming days) kind of wondering why my BG had risen from the 70sā€¦but i bolused for lunch, 40 gms of carbs, waited 15 minutes, and ate. by 4:15 my BG had risen to 156 (WTF???) so i figured i would treat myself as if i did have the flu, and i raised a TB to 110%. i tested again in 1/2 hour, and my BG had risen even more to 185. OMG. i did a correction of 1 unit despite having .5 units OB and i tested again in 1/2 hour, and my BG was 206. at 7pm my BG had come down to 150, so i pre-bolused 25 minutes for dinner (i over-bolused by .5 units) and had just a small 1C bowl of cottage cheese and a decaf with cream. within an hour, my BG was crashing again at 78. i didnt bother correcting, b/c i thought i would let the food time to kick in. but, i did turn off the TB.

now all of this must sound terribly boring to you, but these are the events that have taken place (twice now) after a very hard, fast, strong 1.5 hour swim. clearly, something i am doing is NOT working. eric (of course, it would be eric :wink: ) has several ideas, all of which are about preventing the crash and thus preventing the over-night spike.

now, as you all must know by now, i am always hesitant to try new experiments, but in this instance, my trials have not been working at all, so i am truly up for anything. ANYTHING at ALL!

i wont be in the pool again until monday afternoon, after the weekend. so i have plenty of time to re-coop and refuel, and some time to consider a new post work-out formula. it may not work the first time round, but i will plan on doing some tweaking until i get it rightā€¦or at least close to that.

clearly, there are other D athletes out there who have found a solution to this problem. now, as is my nature, i will continue to persevere. i have gotten this far since last year; now there is a new challenge for me to overcome. i will find my way.

counting on and hoping for all of your prayers and open to all of your suggestions!!!
signing off, in all of my frustrations,
DM

2 Likes

EXPERIMENT IN TREPIDATION #1:

so afraid of having a repeat of miserable, stubborn post swim evening lows and overnight spikes, i swam today like a turtle. my BGs were high, and i felt torn between swimming faster, swimming longer, or just keeping up the slow pace out of fear.

well, fear won today. maybe it wasnt fear; maybe it was just a bit of common sense.

when i left the house for the pool, my BG was only 114, but when i got to the pool (only 20 minutes later) my BG had climbed to 138 ( i had been off all IOB and all basal for 2.5 hours). i jumped in for my 1/2 hour warm up.

here are the stats:
1pm 114
1:30 138
2pm 147 ( i cant even make sense out of that one :blush: .)
2:30 142
3pm 128 (bolused 2 units to replace missed basal and added another .3 units for correction and walked home)
3:30 136 (bolused for my Boost Shakes 1.6 units)
4pm 131 (coming down)
4:10 124 ( BG trending down; drank my shakes )
just hoping that my BGs get into my target range and stay there throughout the night and overnight.

hope this helps someone out there in FUD Cyber-Land. it isnt always the way we expect it to be. it isnt always we want it to be, either. but just accept it and proceed forward.

i am eager to get back into the pool tomorrow and put a little more effort into it. today barely felt like i was doing exercise. :wink: i feel kind of blue and disappointed; but at least i did it and didnt chicken out.

please say a prayer for me. i need all the help and support and encouragement i can get.
signing off,
DM

2 Likes

LOWEST SWIMMING BGs EVER SWIMMING EXPERIMENT # 1:

i never thought i would see the day when i jumped into the pool under 180. it was a year ago almost to the day that i first jumped into the pool. but today, i did what seemed an impossibility. i jumped in at a BG of just 111.

OMG!!!

it was a great swim. GOD i hope i dont crash tonight. i am home now carbo loading.

here are the stats:

1pm BG 115
1:30 BG 111 (took 1.5 Gtabs)
2pm BG 113 (took 1/2 Gtab)
2:30 BG 128 (wish i hadnt taken that 1/2 Tab, but live and learn; i was probably on my way to plateauing and the tab wasnt necessary)
3pm BG 120 (bolused 2.2 units; 2 units for replacement basal and .2 units for correction)
3:30 BG 122 (bolused 1.6 units for 36 gms of carb shakes)
4pm BG 107 (drank my 2 shakes)

feeling great. nice endorphin rush going. sore, but not painfully so. just right. please pray for me that i wont crash crazy crazy tonight. i need all the help i can get.

(also, for all of you athletes out there, could you please share your ā€œrefuelingā€ techniques regarding post-workout replacement carbs/protein/sugars and how you bolus for them.)

signing off for today,
DM

1 Like

@daisymae, Iā€™m sorry to read about your refueling struggles! This is why Iā€™m not currently exercising. even eating after a simple walk, if I walk 3 days in a row, I am wiped out (physically) for two days because of my muscle disorder. Unrelated to my diabetes, but a similar frustration nonetheless - I know itā€™s a refueling issue, but not fully understanding the physiology behind this makes it harder to figure out. I hope you didnā€™t crash again this time, and that you can figure it out soon! Iā€™m curious - you said youā€™re still bolusing for the 2 shakes. Have you tried adding another shake or using a different refueling source with more sugar yet?

2 Likes

yesterday i should have gone immediately for the milk and the Ovaltine instead of the shakes. but i was able to prevent crashes by taking small sips of milk throughout the evening. the lowest i went was 73 and the highest i went was 140 (which i did a correction for) i woke up twice during the night in the 50s, but took some Gtabs to bring my BG back up.

currently my BG is 107. i just bolused for bfast (very late for me; its 10:30am and i usually eat by 7am). but i survived.

tomorrow i will try out the new refuelling experiment.

1 Like

Good luck! Glad to hear you were able to keep from getting too low last night.

1 Like

**FIRST DAY OF THE NEW REFUELING OVALTINE EXPERIMENT #1:

yesterday was very challenging as was this morning. i had stubborn lows. no matter what i drank, no matter how much sugar i was putting in my body, i could not get my BG to cooperate.
it was exhausting. i am owing this to all the hard swimming iā€™ve been doing and not having replenished well enough afterwards. its incredible how much less insulin i need due to exercise.

regardless, i was able to raise my BG enough that i could get in the pool and do my thing. i have never swam as fast and as hard as i did today. it was as if i were in a race against myself. i pushed myself as hard as i possibly could, and i know that i am going to pay for it later. if i can even walk :blush:.

my BG #s werent great, but it didnt bother me that much. the only thing on my mind now is how many grms of fast sugars and carbs i drank right after my swim.

i had 1 Cup of Milk (13gms sugar) and 3 lg Tbs of Ovaltine (14 gms sugar) same amount of carbs ( about 27 -28 gms ) but i bolused for 75% of it which was only 2 units of insulin.

i am nervous that i will spike terribly. i dont know what to expect. i have been drinking my Boost Shakes for about a year now, and they are D-friendly and i am able to bolus for only 50% of their total carbs (they have hardly any fast, real sugar in them). so i am on new ground here.

i know that i want to challenge myself, but with each new step, there is so much trepidation. i like to feel ā€œsafe.ā€ and not knowing something takes away that safety net. i am a bundle of nervous energy.

if this works, and i dont crash overnight the way i have been, i will be very pleased. i mean, thats the whole point of this new experiment in the first place, 'cause the old method was no longer working for me. (and DAMN, i have cases of Boost Shakes, literally, crowding my kitchen floor.)

please pray for me. keeping my fingers crossedā€¦will keep you all posted and up-to-date. I will be testing in about 1/2 hour from now to see where iā€™m at.
signing off,
DM

2 Likes

Hey DM,
The trick here for you is to do frequent testing and if you start to drop (pay attention not to just the BG number but how much it is moving) treat with more carbs. Taking more carbs at this point will help you more than cutting your basal!

Follow up with a good dinner tonight with some more complex carbs to get you through the night.

Let me know how it goes.

1 Like

LAST NIGHT WAS A HORROR SHOW:

after my swim, i bolused for replacement basal (2 units ) then i bolused for 75% of my fast carbs OVATINE/MILK replacement fuel; there were about 27 -28 gms of both sugars and carbs so i bolused 2 units (this is using a 1:10 ICR )

i was good for about an hour or so, then i began to plummet. as with the previous night of crashing, that was all i did; i would crash (very low ), drink more milk with Ovaltine, or apple juice, but i could not get my BG to come up. finally, at one point i came up to about 78, and i bolused for dinner. however, as soon as i was finishing dinner, i started crashing again.

finally, i lowered my basal to 90%. my BGs started to come back into normal range. i even suspended my pump for 1/2 hour. when i went to bed, my BG had climbed to 131, so i knew that a spike would be coming. last time this happened i spiked to 350 in the middle of the night. i did not want a repeat of that; i corrected for the 131 BG and then put on a TB of 110% to get me through the night. i woke up at 3am and my BG was 180. i did a simple correction and went back to sleep. when i woke up this morning, my BG was perfect (98) i have been in target range all day. no highs, no lows. thank God.

so exhausted from last night that i forwent the swimming today and am just taking it easy binge-watching Breaking Bad with my husband. i always take the w/ends off, so i wont be back into the pool until monday. hopefully over the weekend i will come up with a new plan of action to prevent these bloody low BGs.

keeping you all posted.
signing off
DM

DM, when you were in Florida, the chocolate milk spiked you really bad. Maybe because you were just starting out and not swimming as hard.

Do you remember the amount you took for the chocolate milk, and how much you drank (total carbs)?

Letā€™s compare then and now, and see if we are close. In one case you spiked, and in the other case you dropped. So thatā€™s pretty good to see how close you are to finding the middle ground.

when i was in Florida, i drank chocolate milk after a 1 hour swim. i was swimming very cautiously and slowly. the chocolate milk had 28 gms of sugars in it. i went from a post-swim BG of 85 to a BG of 245 after drinking the chocolate milk; i had only bolused 50% of the 28 gms. (1.4 units ) plus a replacement bolus ( i had only been disconnected from my pump 2.5 hours and i cannot remember how much insulin i bolused back then, but probably something like 1.2 units).

does this make sense? does this help shed any light on anything?

Help me with the numbers here.

Letā€™s count all of it together (basal replacement and bolus for the carbs) to make it easier to follow:

• In Florida (easy swim), 2.6 units and 28 grams caused you to spike.

• Back in Brooklyn (hard swim), 4 units and 28 grams caused you to plummet.

Is that correct?

If this is correct, I think about 2.8 - 3.0 units seems like a good number to try. (That is the total amount for replaced basal and for the carbs.)

so, basically, i would bolus 2 units immediately when i get out of the pool. then during my walk home, i could bolus another 1 unit to cover the MILK/ OVALTINE. (so that is less than 50% insulin for the fuel )

youā€™ve always told me to ā€œbolus hardā€ when i get out of the pool. so thats what iā€™ve been doing. so now, i should bolus more modestly which will prevent the crash? is that b/c i am processing insulin at a faster rate due to the intensity of my swim?

am i understanding you correctly?

I still believe in the ā€œbolus hardā€ strategy. Because a) it is easier to fix a low than it is to fix a high, and b) more carbs means more fuel. So if I take more than I need, thatā€™s okay because it means I will eat more carbs to take care of the extra insulin.

So I still think it is a good thing to do. But you need to be willing to take more carbs throughout the process. So if you bolus hard, you keep an eye on your BG and keep feeding carbs as needed.

If you are dropping to below 50, then you need to either ease up a bit with the insulin, or just watch it more closely and take sugar carbs to prevent the big drop.

So yesterday you had too much of a drop with 4.0 units, so 3.0 seems like a good number to try.

Yes, much of what happens depends on how hard you have worked out.

1 Like