Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

i know, i know, i know !!! (didnt i mention that on my last post, though? )

yes. i saw it. i’ve experienced the same thing many times. w/in 15 brief minutes, my BG can sky rocket or plummet. and i dont need a meter or a cgm to tell me that. i feel it right away.

I do the same thing sometimes. And I always get mad at myself when it happens! :slight_smile:

it was as if i had misplaced a part of my brain for a moment when i put those tabs in my mouth.

1 Like

When I make a mistake and get mad at myself, it helps me to learn. So it is not a bad thing. Live to fight another day!
:wink:

woke up this morning w/ high BG; gave correction and bolused for bfast. instead of going down, i went up to 180. it had only been 2.5 hours since i had bolused last, but i did another correction (.5 units)

now its about 2.5 hours post last correction bolus, and my BG has come down into target range (100). i am going to follow my regular formula, just doing it 1.25 hours later. i hope i am not stacking too much; i only have .2 units on board. i guess today will be another experiment and learning experience. i had put myself on an 80% TB over-night. i wont be doing that again. my body just doesnt seem to need it. (maybe a 90% basal would have worked ???)

what’s your opinion about the extra bolus? i gave just gave myself a .4 unit bolus when i turned off my pump. (its 12:15 as opposed to 1pm- my usual start time)

i hope i am making some sense.

Daisymae, I think you are making decisions consistent with how we would do it in our house. In my experience, the only way you are going to make this stuff second nature is to keep experimenting like you did this morning. The more experience you gain, the easier the decisions will seem. Just make sure to only change one thing at a time, and repeat it a couple of times before deciding you have it down. You will be fine.

Of course we will be here for support, but you look like you are doing great for yourself.

thank you for the encouragement. i really do need it today :anguished:

There might be an understandable reason for why you didn’t need the TB last night, which would be a good thing!

First, tell me why you went to 80% last night. Was it because you were used to seeing lows throughout the night after hard workouts?

no; i haven’t gone ( very ) low during the night in the past…well a couple of times i went down to 45/48 -ish.

but last evening i thought i would try it out b/c so many people on our site have recommended it to me. it was not a majorly hard workout, but it wasn’t a simple one either. (although it was definately NOT an Advil night.)

i wish i had paid a little more attention to my body and my BGs post swim and during the evening. silly me.

live and learn, right?

What I was thinking is that in the past you went low during the night and needed a TB, but recently you have been focusing more on post-workout carbs. So doing the post-workout carbs seems to have reduced some of the lows you used to experience from waaaaay back, like in May. To me that sounds like a good thing!

Don’t be down about today. It’s a recovery day.

You have all weekend to rest, recover, carb-up and get ready for Advil Monday!

i am trying to make it a swimming day, if my planning works out. i am waiting to re-test in about 10 minutes and see where i’m at. if i am around 100 or above, i will continue to prep and then try and go swim.

if i need to make it a recovery day, i can try it all over again tomorrow.

1 Like

Oh, I forgot you were changing up for the a weekend a little bit!

Where are you now? You already disconnected, right?

well, just tested, am starting to crash. although i am only at 75, i feel the low coming on.

i turned off the 0%TB and am calling it a “recovery” day. i will try again tomorrow.

S happens. guess i gotta just roll with the flow. damn it all !

an EDIT to my last message :slight_smile:

my BGs started climbing back up (98 ) so i turned the TB back down to 0% and i am going to try to wait another 1/2 hour and see if there is any upwards progression in my BG. if there is, i will plan on trying to go swimming.

if today does have to be a “recovery” day, then so be it, but if i can be patient and make this work, well, gosh darn it, i will go for it !

review and refer to my EDIT. i am going to shoot for the moon. :wink:

Ok! Sounds good. Go for it!

Help me fill in the gaps. I am slow today.

It’s about 1:38pm now. When did you turn off?

i turned off my pump at 12:15pm, so its only been 1+ hours. anything could happen. will be keeping a very close watch on it.

in the event that i cannot get into “swim range” and i have already had my pump off for 2.5 hours, how would i go about replenishing my missed basal? do i use the same formula, or just give myself a very modest bolus? (seeing that i never ended up exercising )

Suppose you are disconnected for 1 hour, and do no swimming - I would just reconnect for an hour and do 150-175% for an hour. Basically add only 50-75% of the hour you missed.