Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

Hey Eric, i like the idea of that 20% basal. but would you suggest doing the 2.5 hours? or do you think that i should increase my pre-swim bolus?

i am just waiting till 11am to see where my starting BG will be. if its crazy high, i will try the 20% basal; if its fairly in target range, i will just increase that small bolus and wait it out.

what do you think of that?

(and PS: i donā€™t plan on swimming for the full 2 hours today. maybe just 90 minutes. (thats still a healthy swim, donā€™t you think?) also, tomorrow i have to go make a jewish shiva call; a family friend passed away of pancreatic cancer. so tomorrow i can only swim for 1 hour. but we can work on that later. i just want to focus now on today. )

Doing 20% kind of removes the need for doing the bolus a little bit, since you are still getting some insulin instead of zero!

I think you have a good plan, just see where you are at 11am and decide.

I saw your other post about some medicine you were taking that caused insulin resistance. Is that part of what is going on here?

BTW, if you are only swimming 90 minutes today, you can experiment with being a little more ā€œadventurousā€, and trying to be lower when you start!

no, this is not the reason for this recent insulin sensitivity. i just need to have more basal for someone my size b/c of the medication. sometimes i do get insulin resistant despite being in perfect health. its just me and the D :wink:[quote=ā€œEric, post:423, topic:894ā€]
BTW, if you are only swimming 90 minutes today, you can experiment with being a little more ā€œadventurousā€, and trying to be lower when you start!
[/quote]

how would you recommend getting lower when i start? by doing a bolus or lowering my basal?

OK, i just tested and my BG is down to 131. perhaps i should just take .5 units to keep me from spiking when i turn off my basal.

what are your thoughts?

eric, well, its done. at BG 133, i turned my basal off for 2.5 hours and gave myself .5 units. now its just a waiting game, and i will see if i spike before i walk to the pool.

Are you locked in to that 2.5 hour swimming time? Or could you go earlier if you start to rise faster?

Yesterday you started at 107, so this time you will probably be higher after 2.5 hours.

How about starting in 1 1/2 hours? Would you feel safe doing that?

i am going to test again at 12:15 and depending where my BG is, i will determine what to do. i do feel safe trying that formula. perhaps i would only wait 2 hours if i am not terribly high. otherwise, i will leave my house after 1.5 hours and give that a whirl. a bit nervous about all of this tweaking. i wish there were more consistency in all of this, but it is deff a lot of learning lessons :grimacing:

OK, just tested, and my BG only rose to 141. i think that this is due to the larger pre-bolus of .5 units that i gave myself at the same time that i turned off my basal.

any thoughts ā€¦asap.

Itā€™s rarely the same. Today just seems like youā€™d go higher if you followed the same plan as yesterday, so tweaking a little bit is ok.

Get good at tweaking! That helps you everyday!

Youā€™ve been paying attention, so you know what happens and how you have been. Youā€™ll be fine.

ok. i hear ya :wink: . now that you have my latest report, how long do you think i should wait? 2 hours, or 2 1/2 hours?

my preference would be that i wait another hour, and then walk to the pool, so that by the time i get there, i will have been at 0% for 2 1/4 hours before i totally unplug and disconnect.

so its been 1.45 minutes since i turned off my basal. my bg is 136. i am going to wait another 15 minutes and then leave for the pool. i think that .5 unit bolus worked at keeping me from spiking. i want to remember this trick of yours; it seems to have worked like a charm. so thank you thank you thank you :sunny: .

i will keep you and everyone else posted. i am very very excited about being in the pool, and i hope that i donā€™t have too much IOB to keep a flatline. (OMG, i really do hope there is no crashing)

So you are at 136 with no basal for 2 hours, right?

Sounds good!

i am 136 after 1 hour 45 minutes. i think i will leave my home in 10 more minutes.

i am amazed that when my BG yesterday started at 107 and i shot up to 202, i had only given myself .2 bolus units. today i was starting off higher, but i gave myself .5 bolus units and i remained steady (practically a flatline) so i am encouraged about that.

1 Like

iā€™ll report to you later and let you know how it went.
DM

1 Like

Swim hard!

will do !!!

OMG , Flatliners lookout!!!

EXPERIMENT # 12

today was a real challenge for me, b/c i did not wake up in target range and i had to do a little fiddling around and to be creative with my insulin. so i kind of went into the pool not really knowing what to expect. so, essentially, i dared myself to try and to do it (just like the NIKE commercial says :wink: ) so here goes:

at 11:20 this morning, my BG was 133 (not the usual AM BG for me) so i turned off my pumpā€™s basal and gave myself a mini bolus of .5 units (to hopefully keep me from spiking since i was not getting any basal) well, it worked. as i waited my usual couple of hours, my BG ran steady; yay for me. at 1:30 i detached from my pump altogether.

@ 1:35 my pre-swim was 136
@ 2:15 BG 137
@ 2:45 BG 132
@ 3:15 BG 122 at which point i got out of the pool and gave myself a ā€œcorrectionā€ bolus for insulin missed over the 4 hour period of missed basal, and to keep me from spiking up after exercise. then i walked briskly for about 1/2 hour (to do some local errands) and then i walked home.
@ 4:30 BG 141 (typical bg climb after workout, so not unexpected.)

got home and shoved a S-load of food down my gullet and drank copious amounts of water (and, i admit, i had a Diet Pepsi :smile: )

i want you to know that i was not able to give myself the micro dose of insulin 30 minutes before i got out of the pool. i couldnā€™t find a syringe that had the 1/2 markings and the pharmacy didnā€™t have any pens of fast-acting insulin with 1/2 markings either (they thought i was nuts for even askingā€¦i tried to explain, but then just gave up TMI )

i believe that if i am able to give myself that shot, it will prevent the post-swim rise. so, yes, Eric, i believe in you and all of your enormous contributions to helping me to improve my life. with each experiment i feel more and more confident in myself and more fearless. it is life-changing to say the least.

is there some way to send you a PM so that i could give you my address so you could (if the offer still stands) mail me a bag of those BD 1/2 unit syringes? i have never done a PM and havenā€™t a clue as to how it works. so if you could walk me through it, i would be very grateful.

waiting to hear back from you and everyone else. feeling pumped and psyched and proud. major endorphin rush taking place.

it was a great, strong 90 minute swim . I ache and my body maybe pumped but iā€™m tired.
i will keep a close watch on my BGs going forward through the evening and the night and see how all of this experimenting plays out. i am very curious.

1 Like

:thumbsup: Awesome job today!

Yes, I can send you a few boxes!

So the PM is in the upper right. 1) Click on your name logo, and then below that you will see a little envelope, and 2) click on the envelope. Then just select 3) ā€œNew Messageā€ and put my name in.

You are the champ this week!

This is perfect!

You deserve more than that!

maybe iā€™ll indulge myself and have a slice of Juniors Cheesecake :wink: .

iā€™m going to try and send you a PM right now. please let me know if you get it. i am not tech savvy; i am borderline mentally challenged. but here goesā€¦