Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

Yep, I am with you there! That shipped sailed for me many decades ago!
That’s kinda what I was figuring. :slight_smile:

i think it was about 1987 when fashion was at an all-time low and disco was at its height. (LOL)

1 Like

well many T1Ds continue to make small amounts of insulin, even 50 years after diagnosis. The question is whether it’s a meaningful amount that could actually affect BG levels at all. For most longtime T1Ds the answer is definitely no. But for some maybe it helps a little and possibly keeps them out of DKA when disconnected from their pumps for so long.

1 Like

Did you ever have a wall of hair like this in the 80’s?
:joy:

no but i did have the farrah fawset feathered long blonde layers. think “charlie’s angels.”

1 Like

hummm. this is very interesting. in all of my years as a T1D, there have only been 2 times that i went into DKA. the first was when i was diagnosed and in the ER. the second was after a night on the town drinking way too much alcohol for an army of alcoholics. both times i felt like dying would be preferable. i have never touched a drop of alcohol since then. it is a memory seared into my brain.

(i am still a blast for a night on the town, but sober as herbert hoover :wink: )

perhaps i should reevaluate my pancreas. how can this be tested?

1 Like

You can get a C-Peptide - Ultrasensitive assay. It is a specialized version of the C-Peptide test to see if your beta cells are still producing insulin.

But if you are still making insulin, it would be in such a small amount it wouldn’t be noticed by you. The level of insulin is so small, it takes a very specialized test to see it.

They say about 10% of people greater than 30 years with diabetes have beta cells that make insulin, but since it is such a small amount, there isn’t much value to it.

been there, done that. no insulin hiding out anywhere.

That’s kinda what I thought!
:wink:

Today are you doing the same thing? Doing 2 hours of 0% basal before you swim?

BTW, how was your night?

i wont be swimming today. have other plans (MD appt.). but i did go low again during the night as well as morning hours. so, i lowered my 12am - 3am basal by .25 as well as lowering my 3am basal to .55

i only go down to about 55 bg, but i want to be at least over 70 when i wake up; taking Gtabs and waiting for my bgs to rise really gets in my way of having bfast.

its funny, too, that i worked out hard and cut out butter from my diet last week and i lost 2 lbs. otherwise, i am eating exactly the same amount of food, same type of food, same portions of food. also, i eat a lot of high fat foods, like PB and nuts and cheese. seems so strange to me. any thoughts?

also, wont be in the pool again till friday. so i will only have been in the pool 4 days this week, not 5. perhaps this will make a difference in my BGs. whats your take on this? am keeping a good eye on those morning bgs. like a hawk :wink:

PS: my morning bgs were low, but i brought them back into range before bfast (83) ; just tested 2.5 hours after eating and my bg was 67. wondering if it is basal or if i need to redo my I:C ratio at bfast time. maybe i need to lower my 3am -8am basal by another .25 units/hour.

The 67 BG, because it’s 2.5 hours after eating it sounds like your breakfast bolus rather than basal.

But since you were low in the morning also, I think both basal and bolus could be reduced.

i think that i should probably need to see my endo to help me with all of this. i am very suspicious about my am I:C ratio. i have noticed this pattern before, and now that my swimming sessions are getting more intense, perhaps i dont need as much insulin to cover my meals.

i do know how to change basal rates, but i have never changed a I:C rate. perhaps i will call Medtronic for their help…

1 Like

Imho, I:C is one of the adjustments we should feel free to do on our own. In our family, we would not be able to deal with life if we didn’t have this ability: it changes every few weeks for us. YDMV of course.

1 Like

Daisy Mae: it would be great to see a pic on your profile!

No need to go back to the 80s… Although she does look better :slight_smile:

1 Like

i think it might just be that my I:C ratio needs to be reduced in the am, b/c all day long i have been in perfect target range (100, 104, etc ) with no IOB except my basal. now i am about to have a late lunch, so i will see how i respond to that. (and remember, i didnt swim today, so things might look different w/o a pattern to refer to)

it astounds me how by swimming or not swimming my basal profiles change so much, and that i need less insulin when i am in a recovery period. i think i have been becoming more insulin sensitive the stronger i get. maybe muscle mass rather than fat mass absorbs insulin differently??? (and i am certain that you have the answer to this question :wink: so please let me know)

That’s funny! Man, how do you swim with all that hair?!

I know what you mean. I cut 40% or more on some days! If there was ever an insulin shortage, you just have to exercise everyday and you almost don’t need any!

If you inject into a muscle, it will absorb faster than fat, especially if you are using the muscle. But if you are using the same canula with your pump, it’s not that you are absorbing it differently. You are probably still going subcu and not into the muscle.

But the difference is how much more efficiently you use insulin. You need less insulin because of all the exercise. Your basal is turbo charged. Everything seems faster and you need less to see things happen with an injection. And exercise improves your circulation, which helps the insulin get to work much faster also.

Let’s face it DM, you are now a super machine. A sports car!

so here’s the skinny on the I:C ratio from 7am till 10am: my sensitivity factor is 8.5. my other ratios are between 1:9 and 1:12 (later in the afternoon and at supper time.) but i eat bfast at 7/8am every morning. and its always low after i eat. always. should i IYHO, fuss with the 8.5 and bring it up to 9 ( what seems to me to a very modest change) and see what happens tomorrow morning? or should i wait and call my endo and ask his opinion? i dont want to F things up.