Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

thanks eric. i got a bit nervous being at 133 before my swim. but i will have been off my basal for 2 full hours and thats before i even disconnect at the pool. so, if i can get an hour in, i will be not only satisfied, but very hopeful that i can repeat this at this target range bg for a 2 hour swim. bringing Gtabs and candy bar with me to the pool and sitting them right next to my meter.

crossing my fingers. (i really am) :wink:

DM

You will be ok. Keep in mind if you see a drop, this drop might not be as bad. Being unplugged for two hours is different. You might drop to 80 and stay there. So just test and keep an eye on it. Just because you drop a little bit doesnā€™t mean you will keep dropping.

ok. will try not to be so nervous; i will use the word ā€œcautiousā€ instead. one step at a time. but i think that if i go down to 80 after 20 min i will take a small bite of candy bar before hopping right in.

i hope this works. live and learn :blush:

2 Likes

Be sure to test after 20 minutes or so!

Youā€™ll be fine. Itā€™s ok to be a little nervous because that raises your blood sugar! Ha!
:slight_smile:

i will test, test, test. but if i get out of the pool and i am down to 80, i think i will cut my swim short. i am still too nervous to go lower than 80.

oh, i dont know; maybe at 80 i will just take a bite of my candy bar. we shall see. one step at a time.

and for eric: yes, its true, anxiety does raise my bgs :blush:

1 Like

just tested again and my bg was 124. i am deffinately taking a bite of my candy bar.

now i am out of the house and on my way. say a prayer.

1 Like

If you are worried, possibly you might consider eating some of the bar, waiting a little bit and going back in after you have gone back up in BG? This way you reassure yourself and donā€™t curtail your swim!

will try it. i will take a nibble and then wait another 15 min and see where iā€™m at.

1 Like

post nibble of candy bar: BG 147 YAY !!! iā€™m out the door :wink:

EXPERIMENT #5:

todayā€™s swim did not work with the same level of consistancy as yesterdays. at 1:30pm (the hour that i am usually out the door on the way to the pool) my bgs were only 129. this was after 2 hours of no basal and no bolus and no food. i had no IOB at all. so after talking to all of you guys, i felt that maybe i would feel safer having a very very small bite of my candy bar) w/in 15 min my bg went up to 147 and i felt comfortable enough to leave the house for my walk to the gym.

BUT, before jumping into the pool, i tested again, and my bg had risen to 177 (wow did that happen fast. i cannot believe that i responded so quickly and so high having eaten such a tiny amount and in record time) but, i got into the pool anyway. i expected that my swim would produce similar results to yesterday, which was strong and steady, despite being highā€¦i had no crashes, just a nice flat line.

well, today went like this:

at 11:30am my bg was 131. i shut off my pumps basal to 0% (for 2 hours) and waited 1 hour, 45 min.
at 1pm bg was 129
at 1:30pm bg was 124
at 2pm (after the nibble of my Baby Ruth bar) my bg was 147, at which point i walked to the gym.
at 2:20pm (right before jumping into the pool) my bg was 177
at 3pm my bg was 142 (1/2 hour into my swim)
at 3:30 my bg was 104, at which point i decided to get outā€¦the pool was getting full and i felt tired.
i put my pump back on and manually bolused 1. unit. then detached again to shower and take a sauna. at 4pm i re-attached my pump and walked home.

things i learned today:
i will not always get the same results. i respond VERY quickly to bites of candy so it is most likely a VERY effective way to elevate a low bg so i dont need to be so nervous about going low while i am swimming so long as i test regularly.

i also learned that i HATE swimming when the pool is crowded, especially with children screaming , b/c i cannot relax as much and get into my ā€œzone.ā€ :wink:

looking fwd to hearing back from all of you!!!

I think this is possibly the best run of them all, because:

• you found out that you can elevate BG fast with carbs

• you did not drop that much per 30-40 minutes, everything considered.

It gives me the impression that it will be very easy for you to control your BG up and down between carbs and swimming. I am a touch surprised that you dropped that much during your 2nd 1/2 hour. But, as you said, it may just be the YDMV factorā€¦

All in all, I think these are THRILLING results!

I feel exactly the same way ā€“ this is VERY comforting to know that you can likely control it well!

Congrats on a great experimental run today!

Hey, DM. Good stuff today!

I am not too surprised. Remember, you were not running your normal basal and maybe you were a bit anxious about the swim so that type of jump does not seem too crazy.

I think this is very useful and good stuff to observe. It tells me something very important. Your body took that 177 BG and used the sugar very quickly, which brought you down to 142. That means that you still had a good bit of insulin floating around in your body. Thatā€™s the only way you would drop like that. Thatā€™s important to know!

Another thing to consider, when you see the drop so quick from 142 to 104, that does not mean it will keep dropping at that rate. Eventually it will level out. At some point you can see where you level out. How long it takes.

So I see an almost 3 hour disconnect (from 11:30am to 2:20pm) and then a drop. We can fix that.

Can you run through this a few more times and then I can help you with some numbers for a way of managing your disconnect without spiking like crazy.

How was your BG after?

i just tested 2 hours after i bolused after my swim. my bg was 115. i think i must have nailed it, b/c i usually just guess at how much ā€œreplacementā€ insulin i need post swim. i have been on 0% basal for approximately 4 hours total. so i need to bolus to 1) keep me from spiking post work out, and 2) to cover the time i was detached. i base this on what my bg is at the time i bolus after my swim. but its generally just a guess.

btw, what does YDMV stand for?

1 Like

Your Diabetes May Vary = we all react differently to it

just a question that has little to do w/ this thread:

does anyone out there need to bolus insulin for eating protein? not something like a steak, but simple things like eggs, fish, tuna, chicken, cheese? my endo thinks iā€™m nuts, but he believes me whenever i present him with the eveidence (and he is a T1D on the pump since he was 20). i need to bolus whenever i just look at food :smile:

1 Like

Is it possible she still has some residual insulin production, which means she has some ability to drop, with the aid of exercise, even with no exogenous insulin circulating? I remember DM saying she has maintained a pretty low A1C for years, and i wonder if thatā€™s involved at all?

I ask because if my son is disconnected from his pump for 4 hours, he starts generating ketones.

Yes, eating protein can require insulin. Letā€™s ask @TiaG !
Check this out:
https://forum.fudiabetes.org/t/why-bolusing-for-fat-is-beneficial/

It stands for **Y**ea! **D**aisy **M**ae is **V**ery awesome!
:smile:

Actually Michelā€™s answer is correct, I am just having fun with you. Here are all the acronyms we use:
https://forum.fudiabetes.org/t/diabetes-acronyms/

1 Like

I think DM has been diabetic long enough that it wouldnā€™t be the case. 30+ years for DM. I donā€™t know of any recorded cases where a T1 has been able to make insulin for that long.

trust me when i say :" i am no longer producing ANY insulin of my own." that honeymoon period passed many many years ago.