Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

Fabulous!! Great numbers, you’re back on track!! :slight_smile: :heart:

1 Like

thx for the encouragement!!! it ALWAYS helps me continue trying my best.

and tomorrow is another day.

1 Like

A DAY AFTER SWIMMING EXPERIMENT #1:

well it worked!!! yahoo!!! yesterday, after getting out of the pool, i used a 97% TB which lowered my basal rates by .025 u/h. i had no spikes and no crashes at all. how wonderful is that??? a total evening and overnight and day (today) of in target flat line.

i didnt swim today, but i was doing a lot of walking around Manhattan, so i did a 95%TB for about 4 hours. that worked out perfectly as well. never went above 106 nor below 81, and i was hopp’in and bopp’in :wink:

tomorrow i will be back in the pool, so i am really looking forward to that, and i will be able to see if what i did last night and today will be as successful tomorrow. will keep everyone posted. :sunny:

DM

3 Likes

DIDN’T NEED THAT EXTRA GLUCOSE TABLET OOPS EXPERIMENT #1:

what a GREAT freak’in swim i had this afternoon! my prep went perfectly, for starters. a total in target flat line from ZB start to finish. at 11am my BG was 91, and at the end of my swim, my BG was 105 (and that’s 4 hours of ZB !!! )

i took 1/2 too many Gtabs after my first stretch, though. now i know for the future (like tomorrow’s swim, for example :blush: ). but other than that, i dont think i could ask much more of myself in that regard. i am so excited about this!!! and my plan for tomorrow is to swim a bit harder and faster, and i would also like to do a 1/2 hour of kick boarding. today, i was too sore from my last swim, that i couldnt push as much as i would have liked to, but C’EST LA VIE. :sunny:

here are today’s stats:

prep:
11am BG 91, turn off pump
1pm BG 97, dash to pool

swim:
1:20 BG 103, took 1.5 Gtabs and jumped in
1:50 BG 91, took 1 Gtab (should have only taken a 1/2 or even nothing)
2:20 BG 90
2:50 BG 105, bolused 2.4 units replacement basal
3:20 BG 73, bolused 1.2 units for 32 gms re-fuel (taking a guess here with reduced bolus amount, b/c i am trying to avoid a crash later; and, i am on a 97% reduced TB, which worked for me both Sunday and yesterday; i may need even less, but i’ll test frequently and find out.)

will keep you posted on how this evening, overnight, and tomorrow goes. and i’ll be back in the pool tomorrow :smile:

signing out,

DM :swimming_woman:

2 Likes

AS PROMISED, EXPERIMENT #1:

started crashing at 4:15…appox 1 hour post last (minute) bolus. went down to 54, took 2 gtabs, and lowered my basal profile, giving me even less insulin (95%). we’ll see if that does the trick. if not, then i will lower it again even more.

DM

1 Like

Or take more glucose? The sooner you can restore your muscle glycogen, the sooner your body will stop vacuuming all available sugar out of your bloodstream.

2 Likes

thanks for the reminder. i recovered immediately after having some glucose tabs, followed by a hearty dinner. (ate some of my husband’s too b/c he had some dental surgery today and couldnt chew much of his own :yum:)

now just chill’in and feeling fine. last BG was 96. hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out.

EXHAUSTED MUSCLES SWIMMING EXPERIMENT #1:

well i had a lousy night’s sleep, and really didnt want to get up this morning, but i trudged through and had breakfast at 6am. i ate and then was about to go back to sleep but was feeling a bit woozy, so i did a finger stick; my bg had dropped to 54. i ate 2 Gtabs and went right back to bed.

my swim prep was uneventful. i started out with a high bg (120), but drank two bottles of Diet Pepsi and pre-bolused .6 units before turning off my pump; it brought everything back down into my target range (92 after 2 hours of ZB). i left for the pool.

when i got to the pool, my BGs were beginning to rise, but i took 1.5 Gtabs anyway. i think i made a smart choice. i was exhausted and slow today. maybe not enough fuel in my tank. every stroke was labored, and i really struggled to keep pace. to be more forthcoming, i struggled to stay afloat :crazy_face:. at least i got the job done, though, and i am proud of myself for that. i am also very proud of my numbers today. probably the most daring of me ever. i will be taking tomorrow off (appointments in the CIty), but i will be back in the pool again on Friday.

here are today’s stats:

1pm bg 92 leave for pool
1:15 bg 106 took 1.5 gtabs and jumped in
1:50 bg 112
2:20 bg 85
2:50 bg 74 took 1/4 gtab bolused 2 units for missed basal (an experiment of a lowered bolus to see if it substantial to keep me from not going low or spiking later)
3:20 bg 77 bolused (only) 1.4 units for my re-fuel shakes (32gms) (usually i bolus 1.6 units)

its 4:10pm and as i am writing this, i was feeling a bit low. i did a finer stick and my BG was 62. i took 1 gtab. i was thinking of taking another, but will wait to see if i really need one. i want the Boost Shakes to get absorbed and do their thing first. who knows. with Eric gone, i am a little out of my element here, so i am trusting my gut to do the right thing. live and learn :upside_down_face:

thats all the news that’s fit to print so far. i am on a 97%TB to get me through till dinner. ( equals -.025 u/h). i am eager to see how my lessoned post swim boluses work out.

signing out,

DM

3 Likes

FANTASTIC numbers despite your morning blues!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi DM, I am back now.

But dang, looking at your numbers the past few days, maybe I should stay gone!
:grinning:

Really awesome numbers you have been turning in!!
:star2: :+1:

2 Likes

oh no!!! dont ever stay gone!!! :blush: who would continue reminding me to “trust the Force?”

2 Likes

and btw, i know for a fact that i am not the only one on FUD who feels this way about your continual presence and participation!!! you are like the Big Brother who went to Harvard for bio physics and your medical degree with a specialty in endocrynology :wink:

2 Likes

I am not any of that. I am more like the crazy uncle that you have to invite to the family gathering. :crazy_face:

1 Like

okay, maybe the crazy uncle, but geniuses are a little loopy anyway. its expected. and we all know that :wink:

1 Like

VERY CONFUSING BGS AND I DONT KNOW WHY EXPERIMENT #1:

this was perhaps one of the weirdest swims EVER. i started out great with my ZB prep. nothing at all unusual or unexpected. my bg was 111 when i left for the pool, and when i got to the pool, right before jumping in, my BG had climbed to 126 (nothing unusual about that, either) but after my first leg, when i got out to test, my BG had CLIMBED to 134. okay. i could deal with that. but then i got back in and swam for another 1/2 hour, and when i got out to test, my BG had gone UP to 136. okay, well that was strange. and since i had been on ZB for almost 4 hours now, i knew that i would plateau and that it would be very unlikely that my BG would trend down much, if at all. so i swam another 1/2 hour and when i got out to test, my BG had climbed EVEN MORE!!! 137. so i got out of the pool feeling really bummed out. bolused hard to replace my missed basal insulin, took a shower and dashed home. 1/2 hour since i bolused, my BG had CLIMBED EVEN MORE!!! 141. i considered doing an IM shot, but thought it prudent to just give a heavy handed bolus for my 32gms of my BOOST SHAKES (1.8 units).
then i figured i would give that insulin time to kick in and test again. at that point, if i did need more insulin, i would give myself an IM shot ASAP.

so here are today’s (lousy) stats:

(started prep at 104. bolused .5units and drank 2 bottles of Diet Pepsi. this brought my BG down to 100, and i stayed at 100 until 1.5 hours of ZB. when i saw the rise start, i left IMMEDIATELY for the pool.)

1pm bg 111
1:20 bg 126
1:50 bg 134
2:20 bg 137 bolused 2.4 units for missed basal
3:30 bg 141 bolused 1.8 units for my shakes
3:45 bg 129 (finally, some movement in the right direction!!!) waiting another 15 minutes to test again and to drink my shakes. and as my BGs are beginning to come down, i will NOT be giving myself the IM shot. i’ll just ride it all out and see how it plays.

why did this happen??? it is baffling me. here are some thoughts (the only ones i can think of): perhaps b/c i hadnt swam in 4 days, my metabolism was slower; perhaps because i have been really fueling my tank with carbs, my body was just swimming them off???; maybe it was just one of those diabetic afternoons that make absolutely no sense whatsoever :crazy_face:

any ideas are welcome and encouraged!!! so please chime in.

the best part of these crazy numbers that i am grateful for is that they were a total flat line :smile:, so i am hang’in in there just frustrated. and btw, i was timing myself, and i was swimming at my usual pace. so i cant use the excuse that i was merely trudging along without putting much effort into it.

will let you know how it all plays out. i’ll be back in the pool tomorrow, so i am eager to see what my numbers will be like then.

signing out,

DM

How hard were you swimming today?

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being lying on an air mattress in the pool getting a suntan, and 10 being swimming away from hungry sharks that are chasing you, what level was your effort?

1 Like

on a scale of 1 - 10, i would say i was swimming about a 6. my pace was the same, but i wasnt pushing myself as hard as i could. i was still swimming 60 seconds per 50 yards, but because of my pulled stomach muscle, i was straining.

still, it wasnt like a was a slug on a float flailing along :wink: and my pace definitely didnt warrant the numbers i was having.

i really am clueless. i am feeling fine now. all normalcy has been restored. (BG is 85 )

1 Like

Ah, here we go…

We talked about this before, when you have not been swimming for several days, doing only a 90 minute ZB. And then gradually moving to a longer ZB after several consecutive days of swimming. Remember that chat?

So maybe today, if you have hit the pool right at 90 minutes, it might have been better.

Not sure how long it takes you to leave your house and get to the pool, but if it takes 20 minutes, that’s a significant time to add to your ZB.

Maybe next time under a similar circumstance after several days of not swimming, plan on jumping in right at 90 minutes.

That’s a bit of a “trust-fall”, because your BG might still be on the low side.

But after several days of not swimming, you just gotta have trust that it will work.

1 Like

i’ll remember this, i swear, for next time. tomorrow i’ll be in the pool again, so i know that consecuative days are better for me BG-wise.

fingers crossed. so far my BGs have remained stable at 80 for several hours post last bolus. am about to fuel up with dinner. (already re-fueled with my shakes)

2 Likes

BEWARE OF THE POWER OF A GLUCOSE TABLET EXPERIMENT #1:

today i started my prep off on the low side (74). i pre-bolused .4 units and turned off my pump. and i waited on ZB till i left for the pool. my BG didnt rise much. after 2 hours of ZB, when i was about to get into the pool, my BG was just 85. i took 2 Gtabs and dared myself to jump in (a first for me ever under a BG of 100)

i swam hard. and when i got out in 1/2 an hour, i had only gone down to 81. but i was a bit nervous about jumping back into the pool with another hour to go with my BG so low (for me), so i took 1 innocent looking Gtab. BIG MISTAKE!!! i got right back into the pool and swam as hard as i could muster. when i got out my BG had risen to 112. no big deal. i even kind of expected that. what i didnt expect was my next BG 1/2 hour later : 121 !!! OMG. i was cursing myself. but i got back into the pool and continued the rest of my swim, trying to enjoy every stroke and to not feel frustrated…knowing, that i had just learned some very valuable information for my next swim. thank goodness there is always tomorrow. also, what a difference a day makes; yesterday’s swim couldnt have been more different.

i think that this is why Eric is so good at this exercise stuff; he’s been gleaning endless amounts of information for so many years. and he’s not afraid to experiment. its just one step at a time for me. but i do feel that i have made a lot of progress from the days when i would eat an entire Snickers Bar, get my BGs above 200 and swim until i crashed 2 hours later. Remember those days? its because of all of you in this community that have got me to where i am today.

here are today’s stats:

11am turned off pump. BG 74
1:20 bg 85 took 2 Gtabs and jumped in
1:55 bg 81 took 1 Gtab and jumped right back in
2:25 bg 112
2:55 bg 121 bolused for missed basal 2.4 units
3:20 bg 95 bolused 1.6 units for re-fuel shakes.

i am very curious to see how my evening goes, particularly b/.c of how my BGs were yesterday during my swim. it was so weird b/c the entire rest of my day my BGs were perfect, flat, in target and under 100. C’est la vie.

and, as always, i will keep you posted :blush:

signing out,

DM

3 Likes