Crazy Extraordinarily Stubborn Lows

I had a prolonged overnight low despite Loop (Loop!!! :smiley_cat:) putting me on 0 basal all night. 26 g of glucose tabs!! Clearly did not replenish enough after a lotta activity over the weekend. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

As much as a 5 pound weight loss makes me need insulin adjustments. Be sure to reach out to a diabetes educator or doctor for help.

its a funny thing, bc i have gained weight, not lost it. but i did reduce my carb intake dramatically, and i am noticing a great difference in my basal insulin. i am either on 95% TB or 97% TB. ( i know that doesnt seem like a big difference, but it is what has been working (most of the time) for me right now.

i see my endo and my cde on friday (with my husband, so that we can get trained in using the Glucogon emergency kit; neither of us know how. embarassing, i know, after all these years of being D i have never once even opened a container.)

but your info was very helpful to me, so thanks :smiley:.

i would typically say Holy Sh-t, but that sounds very similar to one of my evenings, except when i am having that much trouble getting back in target and steady, i go for gold; i eat everything iā€™ve thought about eating and then eating more. :rofl:

Definitely a more fun approach but I was too tired and a bit shaky to haul myself to the kitchen forā€¦maple sryup and huckleberry jam. Dang! :smile_cat:

3 Likes

Do not feel embarrassed about never having used Glucagon: 1) itā€™s kind of good thing; and 2) in have this discussion in other groups, I have learned that there are a lot of us who have done this for a LONG time and never used one/have spouses who wouldnā€™t know how to use one.

Although I have never used one or had one used on me, I will say that for a long time now I have had a separate set preprinted instructions inside my little red box. Ya know - in plain English. The package insert is clear as mud, and instructions are printed microscopically buried in the middle of a ton of all sorts of other technical information. I canā€™t imagine any of that would be as useful to someone nervous, worried, and scrambling to complete the procedure as my own drafted instructions would be.

I also remember re-writing it a few times based on the edits of potential users. After all, just because things made sense to me as someone intimately familiar with needles and injections, that didnā€™t mean it made sense to non-diabetic people. I also got rid of what I considered ā€œfluff.ā€ Wiping vial caps and skin seems so unimportant to me in the bigger picture of the situation, and I certainly didnā€™t want the non-diabetics to be overwhelmed with that vs the bigger task at hand.

6 Likes

my husband is scared to death. sometimes he wants to test his own Non-D BG on my meter, but he wont even do the finger stick himself. i always have to do that for him. :wink:

3 Likes

I totally understand!

This happened to me just last week It was several days of my Tandem X2 constantly suspending, and i was still feeling low. It hung out in the 60ā€™s for hours. I would eat something small and feel better then hours later, right back down.

It stopped, but then I was in the 200ā€™s for 48 hours despite corrections, site changes etcā€¦

I have no explanation. Hormones is the best I can do.

1 Like

Does your kit not come with instructions on the inside of the lid? I donā€™t think that booklet of microscopic writing is meant to be read in the case of an emergencyā€¦ My kit has picture instructions on the inside of the lid that are a lot clearer (although I wish they had a few words as well).

Glucagon kit showing four-step instructions in pictures on the inside of the case lid

2 Likes

So true, and one rule always applies. Never, ever stack shots and overreact. Your highs will come down eventually, and being able finishing that carton of icecream with that excuse of a hypo should feel good. If you are generally well adjusted and in control, you will get back to your normal levels eventually. The panic reactions will kill you.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s funny. :grin:

1 Like

No picture in mine.

1 Like

So odd @Dc53705!

Mine has a picture; itā€™s slightly different than @Jenā€™s though - no color, but very clear in what to do (exp in 2020).

Different manufacturers do different things!

John so true very good adviceā€¦

Yes. Having good glycemic control makes it easier to pack on the pounds. Thank you insulin :slight_smile: I gained about 20lbs over the past 10 years.

I wanted to remind everyone about smarties and dextrose powderā€¦you definitely need to add the dextrose to water or juice, however, these seem to work much quicker than anything else Iā€™ve triedā€¦and you can buy 1 lb of smarties for $2.40ā€¦Cereal with unsweetened chocolate or vanilla almond milk works great also, the 13grams of sugar in regular milk always used to bring me back to the 300ā€™s.I rarely use milkā€¦but I agree that a little protein helps to deter recurring lows also as jw_dx2002 said.

1 Like