Complicated Spin training day - need advice

That makes my day to hear!

glad i could make your day :blush: (eric just taught me how to do an EDIT, so i was able to fix my post. )

and PS: you must know by now how much i love being here !!!
and PPS: calling the new (potential) endo tomorrow morning. planning on leaving my current retarded endo in the dust.

3 Likes

SpinLady, havenā€™t heard from you in a while and was wondering how you are doing with your exercise.

hope all is well. keep us informed. we would love to hear from you :smile:

DM

I am doing very well. I am using my new basal adjusting skills in my daily exercise. It is working quite well.

My next endo appointment is in about a month, and I am looking forward to a lower A1C.

This is the best place ever to get info on our complicated insulin lives. I really appreciate all of you out there!!!

2 Likes

Hi Kim!
Would love to hear some details on how you are adjusting basal and managing it.

We love to hear and discuss insulin management with exercise.

1 Like

I am staying with the 50% for one hour before exercise and 0% during the exercise. I am now trying to figure out what to do when I am low or high before I start a class. It seems to me that being around 110 is the best place to be at the start.

1 Like

I still keep glucose handy during a class, but I am using MUCH less! Fewer calories and less expense for the glucose stuff - a very good combination.

1 Like

@Spinlady, Iā€™d love to read about the changes and experiments you make as time goes on. My T1 son and I are biking together on harder rides, and he has not quite figured out yet what works best for him.

Itā€™s always great to read about experiments people do and how it works for them!

2 Likes

That sounds like a good combo.

I know classes are tough because you have a set time it has to begin. I have it easy, I can run when I want to, so I donā€™t have to be at a good level exactly at a specific time, I can wait a bit.

Personally, all my adjustments kind of depend on many things, but as a general rule, I correct lows with a normal amount of sugar, but correct highs at anywhere from 30-50% of normal (non-exercise) corrections amounts.

Do you measure heart rate? I use that as part of my guess on corrections and BG. For low heart rate runs, I can start with a much lower BG. For intense short runs, same thing. For the medium intensity I need a bit higher BG.

I imagine for spin, your HR varies a lot.

2 Likes

Eric- How do you know so much about about insulins? I wish my endo knew as much as you do.

2 Likes

Insulins, pumps and everything diabetes - I should have saidā€¦

4 posts were split to a new topic: Endos are like Airplane Engineers; Diabetics are like Pilots

Sorry, your thread got hijacked by me!

So I was just saying, lotā€™s of years. And lot of BG testing.

Do you use heart rate at all? I have found there is a heart rate that causes an immediate BG spike for me.

The endo discussion follows here:
endos-are-like-airplane-engineers-diabetics-are-like-pilots

Where is that for you? My son is running cross country this year, and the first day he went all out and spiked very high very quickly during/after the run. Since then he has been running more aerobically and it has been easy to control.

This number will vary for everyone! But generally, spikes will start to happen close to lactate pace. Maybe it will happen a bit faster or slower than lactate pace, depending on a personā€™s conditioning. But lactate pace is a good general rule to look at.

Lactate is a by-product of your anaerobic metabolism. For everyone, there is a pace where the amount of lactate rises very quickly, and accumulates. Where the activity is fueled by your anaerobic metabolism.

That will be pretty close to a 5k pace. Slower or longer runs will be more aerobic. But 5kā€™s spike me every single time.

But it isnā€™t really a speed. You can be running up a steep hill at a slower speed, and hit a high heart rate.

For me, a heart rate of 165 for several minutes (like more than 10) will spike me. Fewer minutes will start the rise, but when I get to 10 minutes at that rate, my BG is to the moon.

Unfortunately, that is where you will be for cross-country, because it is a 5k, and that is how you have to run them.

For longer runs, like a 10k, there isnā€™t a spike for me.

I few years ago, I started taking insulin right before the gun for 5kā€™s. It will take some balls to do that, but eventually you will feel comfortable that there is no other way.

Longer slower training runs wonā€™t be the same problem. It will be the opposite - trying to prevent the drop. But I think 5kā€™s will always be a spike.

Incidentally, there is a do-it-yourself lactate blood test kit. It uses a finger prick like for BG testing. You can figure out lactate levels that way too.

1 Like

glad to hear about your progress and success. its nice to know how much help our collective experience can be. hope you are enjoying your summer. we havent heard from you in a while. keep checking in with progress reports. we enjoy it, and all of your experiences will help so many others :smile: .

Daisy Mae (the swimmer)

2 Likes